Sunday, February 18, 2018

Week 9 of 18: HALFWAY POINT!


Half way point of the training plan and i haven't even been on a trail yet.  BAM.  How is that for smart training????  Yeah, not going to lie, the trail run I am doing in 2 weekends is going to KILL me, but will be super fun too, so going to laugh and have fun with miss stella ella!  This is going to be one busy week with scheduling, with three meetings planned, one un-fun dental appointment for Andrew, a valentine's party, and a un-invited virus!  Let'get down to it!!

Monday:  Rest day.  Why can't I just sit and binge watch the Olympics?  Every night I get all excited about sitting and bingeing, and every night a thousand things come up and i don't get to.  Major sad face.  I was SO excited about watching curling this year, and I have seen one period in one match.  ONE.  URGH!  We did have Andrew's team meeting today at school, and I am super glad to get that done.  Basically, we met with the principal, the social worker, and Andrew's teacher to go over his Vanderbilt test scores (basically an unofficial first test for ADHD), and try and form a plan forward.  I felt like there were three opinions and none really agreeing, because we just don't know.  I feel much frustration from his teacher, as she knows knowledge is in there, he just isn't performing up to his potential.  His reading teacher wasn't present due to sick kids, but her scores were the highest (meaning the worst).  I kind of can see that, if he is struggling so much in reading, then he would have higher scores because he is probably having issues sitting still and behaving.  Overall, we are going to get him independently tested for ADHD just to try and see what is really going on from that end, AND we are going to get him in tutoring of some sort to build his love of learning and reading, before we get to a point where he hates school.  IEP was not mentioned just yet, which kind of surprises me that it wasn't an option.  If he needs help with time limits or needs help with staying on task, I think an IEP would be a wonderful option.  I am going to be honest, the words "daydreamer" and "anxiety" kept coming up, and those words scare me.  Especially since I put NO pressure on him to learn or be at a certain level.  I am super scared he has that pressure within, just like me, and that means school is going to be super tough.

this makes me laugh because his dad never takes him to school!!!!
Tuesday:  I have decided since my schedule tends to float so much, that I am not going to put a label on here as to what the work out is, but what I get accomplished.  5 easy miles.  It really helps that two of my running buddies are teachers and moms  I really, really appreciate them listening to my thoughts and ideas, and giving me more ideas to think about.  Even though it was feels like 13, there was no wind and no crazy woman sprinting past us at the rec complex.  I left the dogs at home to let stella's paw heal, so it figures sprinter girl wouldn't be there.  We had our next team meeting with Sylvan and are going to proceed with some tutoring at their center to build on what the school is doing as well.  We figure it won't hurt and they found some interesting holes that need to be filled anyway. 


Wednesday:  Unexpected rest day.  Andrew came home from school running a 101 degree fever.  Most of the night was spent cuddling, watching cartoons, and resting.  He would be fine for an hour or so, but the fever would crescendo up to 103, and he would shake and cry.  103 is my end point for stepping in and using fever meds, but it never went over that, thank goodness.  Then as quickly as it would come up, it would go back down to 99.5.  So weird.  He finally got good sleep around 1:30 am, but of course then my mind was up and awake and I couldn't get it to stop.


Thursday:    Decided to go ahead and get testing done for flu, even though we probably were not going to put any of us on tamiflu.  I  know I have nothing to fear with the anti-viral, but I have this irrational fear of it that I can't shake.  The doctor basically told us that the science really doesn't even have evidence that it buys you that much time off of being sick anyway, so why put him through it. In some ways, this was the best weekend to be sick, because he has a long weekend due to a Monday holiday.  I hate seeing him so sick, and being at home usually means i have to mill it to get my run in, but I am so deep into Ozark right now that I don't mind being on the mill at all.  I decided to do speed work that i skipped Monday, so 800 meter repeats x 6 with 400 meter recoveries was where it was at.  My watch for whatever reason, kept up better with the mill and had me running a titch bit faster than I had the mill set at, but not  Kara Goucher speed bad.
Happy Birthday to my BRF Mel!!!
Friday: Another night of broken sleep.  Andrew woke up around 2:30 am and told me he was super hot.  I took his temp and we were at 102.8.  That had been as high as we had gone thus far, so we cuddled up and tried to go back to sleep.  Then about 30 minutes later, he woke up crying and hotter than I have ever felt.  104!!!!!!  I popped up and ran a cool bath, then ran downstairs to get popsicles, ice packs, and advil.  Once we got the advil on board and got him in the bath, his temp went down quickly.  He still woke up at 101 and ranged all day long.  I did manage to get my strength training done, and seriously contemplated trying to get more done, but decided against it. I feel like i am on the edge of coming down with this mess, and I don't need both of us down for the count at the same time.


Saturday: Another night of less sleep than ideal, but my body is getting the hang of it now.  I actually had stayed up late watching figure skating, and was up when his fever initially spiked.  I gave him some meds and got him comfortable, but 30 minutes later when I rechecked him, he had gone up more and that scared me yet again.  The meds should have kicked in by then and they hadn't.  Up we went to get a cool bath, ice packs, compresses, and our normal Popsicles.  Of course once my adrenaline gets to flowing, I am wide awake, so even after we got him comfortable, I was still awake feeling of him and taking his pulse.  My two options for the day were 6 easy miles or a long run of 12 miles.  My hubby had to be at both of his big customer's plants all day, as both of his teams were working on Saturday, and he had no indication of when they would be done.  I really, really wanted to be outside for a run for a couple of reasons, one being that the dogs are about to go NUTS not running.  The second reason was we were suppose to have crazy wind gust with the worst being on Sunday.  The weathermen were saying up to 35 mph!!!!!!!  He came home a little after lunch and I geared up to head out and get my 12.  My coach had some faster miles built in from 6-9 but I got to 6 and had 0 amount of gas to give to do speed work.  Even though the wind was only around 15 mph, it was still pretty tough running west.  I didn't want to do my whole out and back and back tracking so I did an out and around and then went through town, visited the house for a potty break, and then headed back out to finish.




Sunday:  Easy 6 miles.   Nothing like 35 mph wind gusts to add excitement to our run.  I seriously thought about running on Millie instead, but it was just too nice outside to not get some vitamin D.  I had an east/west route i could do that would just have some cross wind so decided to head out.  Let's just say my legs got sandblasted a few times and a few times I ran backwards with deuce's head in my middle section to protect his eyes.  Yes, that took major coordination.  Usually i listen to podcasts but today was all about Prince Pandora channel and it didn't disappoint.  At one time when we had a brief jog directly into the wind, You Dropped a Bomb on me started playing and I just had to laugh.  It was the perfect song for running headlong into horrendous wind. 




As this goes live, I am still illness free and I hope it stays that way.  Andrew's fever broke Saturday night and is still 99 or below.   I actually have two races coming up, one for me and one for pacing for Smart Edge so I need to be healthy.  Looks like this coming week may have some rain forecasted, and I am really hoping they get it wrong because I don't want mudfest 2018 again on the trails.  I guess it will be what it is and there is no use in worrying.  Have a great week and see you next week where I will hopefully still be Flu/virus free!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment