Sunday, May 13, 2018

Running with the Cows 2018 Pacer Edition


This was my first time running this race as a Pacer and while I was slightly sad that I wasn't shooting for a PR at this race (this is the race my half PR comes from), I did enjoy helping others get through a tough morning on a tough course.  I am going to steal some pics from the website because I didn't get many due to having a hand held and a stick in my hands and also the threat of rain constantly kept my phone in a ziploc bag in my pocket.


 There were several days for packet pick up and while we usually do packet pick up Friday night when we get to town, we just didn't make it in time.  Lucky for us, there was packet pick up on race day morning and also gear check so we could just get our stuff then.  Once again they had bibs with our names on it (LOVE), shoe tags for timing, and super cute Tech Ts.  Of course I also had a pacer shirt with the RWTC logo on it that is super cute as well.  There was a bunch of coupons and leaflets in the packet bag, but I recycled most if not all as we are not in KC enough to use the coupons.

Flat Michelle ready for some hot weather!
Set out flat michelle before bed.  Weather reports were all hot and humid, and of course I had a pacer's tech T to wear, so I kind of was locked into an outfit already.  I did want to try and use my new hand held with some Nuun in it this time to see how that worked with also holding a stick.  I am kind of not happy with any of my fuel belts right now (gained mucho weight so they don't stay put) and I didn't feel like wearing a pack for a half to hold my fuel and phone. I can always store my phone and fuel in my gypsy runner shorts, but then I kind of look funny with big bulging pockets.  Anyway, I could get both of my waffles folded in half in the pocket on the handheld so WIN.  I also wanted to try out my new headsweats buff that I picked up from Gypsy runner for keeping me cool.  My plan was to take a drink of water at the aid stations and then pour the rest of the cup on my buff to keep me cool.
From the Cows FB page talking about onsite parking.  SO CUTE!
Parking was very simple thanks to good dry weather.  We were able to park right behind the school and walk right up.  Since we were pacing and since we were also picking up a packet, we decided to get to the race a little bit early. Plus, since this race is so popular, the traffic can be a bit much.  We really had no issues this morning at all.  This race always has SO many volunteers that direct you exactly where you need to go at all times.  We quickly got our packets, gear checked our bags, and took a quick trip to the porta potties.....that did or didn't have TP.  Whoops.  Found some that did and got business done.


We lined up about 30 minutes prior to race start in the chute to let people find the pace group they wanted and chat for a bit about their goals.  There was lots of nervous energy and a few rain drops and lightning bolts here and there at the start.  There was rumor of delay due to lightening, but we were off a few minutes after 7:30.  They even rang the church bells, which I don't remember them doing before and I LOVED it!


The hardest part about racing and even pacing is starting out slow.  The energy at the beginning is always phenomenal whether you are racing or pacing.  I always have to keep a very close eye on my watch when we start, out so we don't push too hard.  That is the beauty and the beast of pacing.  You are responsible for people's goals and dreams and you have to concentrate on your time, especially when you are pacing a pace that is MUCH slower than your race pace.  I am finding as I continue to do this that it gets easier and I am not so anxious the entire race, but let me tell you, I am mentally exhausted after these pacing gigs!




For the majority of the race, we had overcast skies and warm temps, but a breeze would sporadically blow from time to time or rain drops would cool things off momentarily.  Unfortunately, as the storms passed, the humidity got pretty high.  I don't mind heat (i don't love it, but I can deal), but I am not a fan of humidity at all, and we have had 0 days to acclimate to this crazy summer like weather.  I am VERY glad I had my buff to keep wet and a handheld full of cold Nuun water to tide me over in between aid stations.  I had a core group of 2 or 3 ladies that stayed with me till about mile 10 and then, even though we were walking up the big hills, I lost everyone :(  I am still trying to figure out what went wrong, but i think it was a combo of the heat/humidity and some under training. I tried to pick up a few people that were walking or wogging on my way to the finish, but no one seemed to want to follow me in no matter how hard I tried.  The sun finally came out for the last 3 or so miles, and I think that just finished people off.  I finished in 2:46:08, which is where I should be as a back pacer.  I was excited to finish my 4th Running with the Cows!


As always, the post party was amazing!!!!  There were tons of photo ops and food, food, and more food.  Due to the heat, I still wasn't really into eating, but i did manage to drink 2 chocolate milks and some sort of healthy bar (that did have chocolate chips) that was YUMMY!  We hung around and cheered till all the pacers and most of the racers were in.  We had to bring the pacer sticks back to Manhattan for the Bill Snyder.  It was really nice to not to have to rush off and just be able to sit around and talk to people.  I really am enjoying getting to know my fellow pacers as it seems like there is a core of us who do most of the local races over and over again.  We are a special breed of crazy or so it seems.  



The medal was cute as always and I will be back either racing it or pacing it next year because it truly is my favorite half marathon  in our area other than Wicked in Wamego.  While the weather can be a huge factor in success of goals or not since it is late spring in Kansas,  the race is always worth trying no matter what! You can't beat the hype or the after party at all!


No comments:

Post a Comment