Sunday, February 17, 2019

The REAL week 5: Training for the Rockin K Trail Marathon

Another week of snow and ice???  Will this ever end?

Happy Valentine's week!
Monday:  Cross fit class.....That didn't happen because when I woke up and looked at my weather app it looked like this:


After the last time of having to drive on solid ice and white knuckle it all the way home I decided that was a NO for me.  Of course I don't think it did anything but rain and spit some sleet, but if I would have gone, it would have been pure ice.  My gym has open gym on Thursdays and I figured I could just make up my work out then.  


Later we took the kiddo to see the Harlem Globetrotters at the KSU basketball stadium. I remember seeing them as a kid and LOVING their show, so I was SO excited when Lindsey from LivingLovingRunner won tickets and asked us to come along.  Wouldn't you know, one of the Harlem Globetrotters was from my little home town of Jackson TN???  After the game, we went down and chatted and he knew my brother.  He went to a different high school than we did (and was born when we were graduating from high school, boy I sure am getting old), but it was so cool to see someone from back home in our little apple.  


Tuesday:  Another round of ice and another instead mill run.  Schools were delayed by 2 hours to let the roads have time to thaw, so I jumped on the mill with just an hour before I had to get the kiddo ready for school.  I decided to try something fun since I stare the display anyway.  Every minute of the four minute run interval that I did, I did a different speed starting slower and then getting faster. I think I maxed out at 6 mph as my fastest minute and that way I finished at one hour and one minute and didn't loose my mind.
Happy Galentines day to one of my favorite GALS!
Wednesday:  Cross Fit.  Deadlift day!  We did our dead lift series and then did a super fun WOD that killed me but made me feel so strong!  We had to carry a sandbag 200' and then 12 burpees jumping up to touch a target and 8 hand stand push ups (i am still scaled to dumb bell presses).  It was an AMRAP for 20 minutes and I was pouring sweat.  I am not sure what the weight of the sand bag was but it was more than my 64 lb kiddo.  The only bad part?  My knee was a little twingy from running on the mill I guess the day before and I woke up to my feet being a little bothered, so running on the mill definitely bothers both.

Thursday: Easy 5.  I need to get back to hill repeats since I can't get to a trail that isn't a mess and that was my intention for the days run.  When I woke up I was SORE from working out.  I decided powering up a steep hill while my hammies were tight and sore was not a great idea.  I stayed flat and got it done on a beautiful morning!  Then the temperature DROPPED!  We went from a nice balmy 50 down to feels like 21.  WTH Kansas????


Friday:  Rest and SNOW DAY.  Yet another snow day for the kiddos. I have no clue how many they get a year but I am betting we are at the limit.  I am glad they canceled though, it started snowing about 5 minutes after we got up and continued all day.


Saturday:  Long run day!  In some ways I seriously love winter, like the fact that I can sleep in (meaning 7 am versus 4 am in the summer) and run whenever the day lets me and I won't be roasting/sweating to death.  Once again, my hubby had to work so I was at the mercy of his schedule.  I knew he had to be off by 2 at least because i had won basketball tickets and KSU played at 3 pm and he had to be home to gather andrew and head to the game.  We had between 2 and three inches of fresh snow so I had dug out my yaktraxs.  Y'all I am just going to be painfully blunt, I hate yaktraxs but they are a necessity some times.  Especially when your hubby doesn't have time to screw your shoes before your run.  They hurt my feet like no other but they get the job done so I suffer in silence.  The above picture is me in the first part of my long run.  The skies were blue, the temp was good and the roads were for the most part plowed.


Then it started sleeting HUGE ice pellets and the ground and road became covered again.  I really wanted to get as much done out on the road as possible but ended up being about a mile and half short with the sleet/snow getting worse and the visibility getting worse as well.  Not all of the roads were plowed in town so I just headed home and did a quick change out of clothes and hopped on the mill.  I was so sore post running, probably a combo of the yaktraxs changing the way I run and the mill.

Sunday:  Well, I was suppose to do 6.  We had a wrestling tournament that lasted till past 4 pm and then my Hubby had promised andrew he would take him to see the 2nd Lego Movie (that started at 6:15 about 20 minutes away) and he wanted met to go as well.  Sigh.  I really needed to get on the mill and grind it out. I figured I would get it done when I got home, except we didn't get home till almost 9 pm and the last thing I wanted to do at that point was to get on the mill.  I wasn't happy with skipping a run just because my schedule was not ideal, but it is what it is and I am just going to not freak out about it. 

As always I am linking up with Wendy at the Taking the Long Way Home and HoHo runs.  Check out the amazing blogs that link up there, you won't be disappointed! 


12 comments:

  1. I have YakTrax too, but I haven't used them this winter. They are great for the snow but not for the ice, which is what we have a lot of. Plus, I run in the streets and I can't trust that the cars won't slide into me. This has been a really tough winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I a suppose to head to TN tomorrow for a funeral and we are predicted to get 6 more inches. plus the day I was going to fly back is suppose to be icy as well. URGH

      Delete
  2. I've had it up to here with the ice this winter. It just keeps coming. My kids have to make up all the snow days in June. The high school has resorted to "e learning" days where they do assignments at home on snow days. My daughter hates it but it sounds better to me than making it up in June. I haven't worn my Yaks this year since they're only really good on snow. My routes vary between ice, snow and gravel. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering how we are going to make up days here. Last year we added time to the day, but we started with extra time already this year so not sure what they are going to do.

      Delete
  3. The weather has been so crazy back and forth hasn't it!? Usually it does not bother me but the last 2 weeks ugh. Love that photo of you 2 and the dog-so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather has been very temperamental where I live. We will have a 40-50 degree change in weather over the course of two days, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get over this weather either. Chicago is in the same boat. I just want to be able to run outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am in TN this week and I am outside every day rain or shine in shorts!

      Delete
  6. This weather. UGH! I tried to run without Yaktrax today and ended up putting them on mid-run... it's just ice. And snow. And more ice! Missing a run stinks but it's not going to break you! Keep up your great work - and I love the smile on your little wrestler's face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I feel like I need to take them in my pack some times just inc ase. They usually don't plow my gravel roads so that was a shock to get out there and have freshly plowed roads.

      Delete