Sunday, March 31, 2019

Week 11: Taper time for the Rockin K trail marathon

Second week of taper and getting super butterflies about the race.  This is always the time my body decides to kind of fall apart and I am dealing with a huge flare of my PF.  Sigh.  I knew it was not happy when I was home for spring break when we were skating.  Those skates had little to no support and were pretty darn flat, but I was not about to make my mom risk breaking a hip to skate with little man.  So i pushed on and we skated for 2 hours with my feet screaming.  I figured I have made it through many flares so I can make it through this one.  Of course it doesn't really bother me when I am running, just the other 23 hours of the day. I am bathing in CBD oil, getting a nice deep tissue massage, and stretching like no body's business.

Monday:  Rest day. No Cross Fit today since I am enforcing a 2 week break upon the  recommendation of my coaches.  I really missed it, not the getting up at 4 am part, but the feeling of being done with the work outs and the calories i gain from working out :)


Tuesday:  Easy 5.  I am so shocked that my times get getting faster and faster on this 4:1 run/walk interval.  Today I wasn't even pushing it, just letting my body set the pace and I saw a 9:45!!!!!  What the what?  Not sure what to attribute to this sudden burst of speed, the Cross Fit, the run/walk, or the loss of weight, but I am loving it!

He looks like such a hunter here
Wednesday:  Rest day! No Cross Fit again and I can tell because my back and hip are not 100% happy.  Funny how lifting heavy weights fixes my pains and doesn't cause it.  We did start track club and wow, what a turn out!  We are going to have a big group again this year and I LOVE it!  We had a parent's meeting and then launched into form drills and dynamic stretches before ending on build ups.  The school re-did the high school track that we run on and wow, my body loves this new track so much more than the old track, even though they look the exact same.  Maybe more cushion underneath?

Rising Phoenix Wellness window
Thursday:   Easy 5.  Another walk run day for me and this time I tried to keep my pace a little bit slower.  While it is fun to see low numbers, this is my taper period and I need to remember that.  I beat the storms on the way thank goodness, and then went and did some work before heading to Rising Phoenix Wellness for some table work.  I am so blessed to have such great massage artists in Trina and Doug that help me keep my body together.  There was lots of cupping, squirming ,and ouching by me, but I feel 1000 times better as of typing this!

at packet pick up bright and early with one of my favorite runners!
Friday:  Rest day and Wicked Pasta feed. I got to do a live FB video from the pasta feed plus announce the raffle winners.  I had so much fun AND they were selling beer at the pasta feed AND it was my favorite light local beer Life coach.  I love helping with races and I really enjoyed getting people their packets/shirts and helping answer their questions about our little town.  Early to bed to make sure to get up and be at packet pick up again before 6 am.

beautiful big snow flakes!
Saturday:  I started by working packet pick  up from 6:00 am until 7:15 am and then headed out to my volunteer spot. I was at a spot where I sent the marathoners one way to complete three loops before they headed out and sent the half marathoners the other way to do their out and back.  Not only were we directing, we were also keeping count of the marathoners as they completed each loop for BQ purposes.  It's sad that we have to do these things because there are those out there that cheat the system :(. Of course I should add it was snowing in earnest pretty much all morning and i was out in the middle of the street while one lane of traffic was going by behind me.  We were short on volunteers thanks to the weather, so I had to do both checking of the bibs and recording out in the rain snow.  Due to the wet snow, my paper work kept getting wet and tearing or the ink was bleeding, or my pen would just dig into the paper and make a huge hole.  I was pretty stressed that we were getting everyone marked correctly and headed in the right direction.  I knew most people by sight, especially after seeing them three times, but many had their bibs under layers of clothing or under their ponchos thanks to the weather.  Post getting everyone through my check point, I quickly headed into headquarters to find out my next assignment and head back out.  As luck would have it, they needed someone to run results from the start/finish line, sort them, and then announce age group winners INSIDE.  This was perfect so I could warm up and stay dry and warm the rest of the day, unlike most volunteers outside on the course (and unlike most years when I was stuck outside for 6+ hours no matter what the weather).  Post helping, i was beat.  I needed to run 4 miles, but that just wasn't going to happen.  I am going to count running the 2 blocks back and forth to the start/finish line to get results multiple times as my exercise of the day.  I decided to take a nice hot shower and put my feet up and watch a movie while hubby and kiddo went to  town to the movies to watch Captain Marvel.  I finally got to see my boyfriend Jason in his movie Aquaman.  Yum!  Plus reading in bed and not a kid's book, BONUS!


Sunday:  Long run.  I needed to do 8-10 miles.  It was a perfect morning, nice and cold, but with a gradual warm up.  I decided to just go and stop when I wasn't feeling it anymore.  I just happened to be running by the house at 9.7, so 9.7 it is:)  I am hoping next weekend's weather is much like this and not hot because we really haven't had any hot runs yet.  At least the water crossings will be refreshing either way! 

Due to the fact that I am not having the time to get to read most of the other blogs in the link up and comment, I will no longer doing the link up.  It's not fair to others for me to be a part of something when I don't have enough time in the day between helping my hubby run our small and growing business and then shuttling my kiddo from lesson to activity to really read and comment as much as i need to.  I have really enjoyed the link ups and will still read my favorite blogs as I have time, but until I have more time to spread the love, I will not be participating anymore.  Thank you for all of the reads and the comments over the past few months!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I had PF for most of the time leading up to Big Sur and I still ran it! I did a lot of pool training (pool running) to prepare. You'll be fine. I do love those Sole Healers that I reviewed a couple weeks ago.

    I totally feel you on the link up, which is why Holly and I ended it. It was taking so much time! I'm still spending a lot of time responding to comments on Mondays even though I'm not hosting anymore! LOl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel really bad. Another blogger got very upset that I was not responding and I hate that someone was mad at me. SO for now I just read the blogs i had been reading for years :)

      Delete
  2. Busy week for you! I hope your PF calms down for you. Captain Marvel seems to be all the rage lately. My 13 yr old loved it. Glad you enjoyed a tiny bit of relaxation time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to not read murder mysteries in bed by myself. I'll be gone in the dark is a very intense book and it is scaring the living daylights out of me! Maybe i need to stick to kid's books!

      Delete