Saturday, March 16, 2019

Week 9: Training for the Rockin K Trail Marathon

This is me enjoying some sweet tea sitting on my parent's back deck
Ah, peak week, how are ya?  I am currently in TN visiting my mom and mom in law letting little red soak up the fun that is all things grandma and grammy. That means some Tennessee running! A little bit of pavement, a little bit of new to me trail, and lots of humidity.


Monday:  Cross fit fun.  I decided last time I was in Tennessee that I would just do my WOD and strength at my mom's gym.  They had bumper plates and all the fun things I needed to get it done.  The only problem, not exactly all the things I use, but good enough.  The jump rope was too long, I had to go to a different section of the gym for pull ups, and no rings I could reach, but I made it work.  Strength was back squats with my new max and the WOD was totally modified to get what I needed.  I had to cut it short too, but I got some sort of WOD in and later when we were at the playground and I did some knees up on the monkey bars.


Tuesday:  7 miles. I actually did 7.8 to try and have to run less the next day, since we would be with Tony's mom again in Martin (Grandma and Pops).  I got to pound more pavement and more hills.  Hopefully these hills will help, even if it is pavement.  I am excited, I actually have a watch tan!!!!!   I had to laugh though.  We run over a bridge and there is always tons of broken glass on the sidewalk.  We hit a section that was pure broken glass, so I just picked Stella up and started running with her in my arms.  A couple pulled over because they thought Stella was hurt.  Glad that Cross fit has helped me be able to run carrying Stella, and glad that people in this world still care :)


Wednesday: Back to martin to see Grandma and 6.2 miles.  Since I have a new loop that I like in Martin, I was pretty excited.  I figured the loose dogs would all be up since everyone would be at work.  WRONG.  I had two different sets come after Stella, and i and one that I thought was NOT going to back down.  I got some good hills in and the humidity was lower.  Post running we headed to the Discovery Park in Union City.  If you have never heard of this place, it is amazing!  Luck was in our favor because they had a Lego exhibit which consisted of some awesome Lego creations, but more importantly, you could build your own, and that is what we did the majority of the day!


Thursday:  Rest day.  Boy, did I need it. Peak week is no joke!  Also, I had promised little red some trampoline jumping time at Sky Zone, and some skating time at Magic Wheels.  We had so much fun and I thankfully didn't get hurt falling:) Andrew still prefers the trainer for skating, but that is okay.  We don't go enough so if he needs to use them for now, we will do whatever to make him have fun.


We also did some yard work as the weather turned out to be beautiful.  This was what I did as a kid, pick up sticks and drive the lawnmower.  Glad that Andrew is getting a little taste of what I was expected to do as one of my many chores growing up.  



Friday:  20 miler.  As luck would have it, one of my running buddies was in Memphis for the week/weekend and we met up with another lady that we had met on the running with Dogs FB page.  I had hoped to get the majority of my long run on the trails, but ended up with 15.5.  It was TOUGH.  The trail was leaf covered and  stick covered, and one jumped up and bit me pretty hard. Pretty much did a superman sprawl face first on the trail.  I don't think I have ever fell face first so that was a first!


The trails were marked a little wonky, so we had to back track a few times, but we got a big loop of around 9 miles, a smaller loop of 3.14 miles, and then I did another loop for about 3ish.  I decided since both of the other ladies had headed out that the best thing for me was to head home and do the rest of the run near family.  Running on new to me trails with no cell phone service by myself was a little creepy.  


There was a lot of power hiking.  I needed this so badly,, because I haven't done many of my long runs lately on technical trail.  I was able to maintain about a 3 mph speed, which is really, really good for me on technical trail with some good elevation gain.  


I am so blessed to have trail sisters.  These women are amazing!



Saturday:  Short run on tired tired legs.  I wanted pancake flat and I got it. We went to a park that has about a mile around paved track and I didn't mind doing loops as long as it was flat.  Andrew and grammy played on the playground while I ran.  Then mom and I went to a mom/daughter lunch while Grand daddy and Andrew went to subway to share a sandwich.  We convened and all headed to Jackson's new brewery, Hub City Brewery. 


They didn't do flights, but they did tasters.  I loved the Stout they did for St. Patrick's day and got a growler to take back to KS.  They also had bowling and a huge area with several corn hole stations.


Even with her torn rotator's cuff on her throwing arm, she threw a mean game of corn hole!


This place is amazing!  It was family friendly and had GREAT beer.  My tab was quite a bit high, but it was worth it!

Sunday:  Driving day!  I am going to be optimistic and say that the drive was great and we had no issues.  I hope I am not jinxing myself by posting this early, but who knows when we will get home. Our drive down was amazing so here is to hoping the drive back is the same.  Thank you Tennessee and Grammy, Pops, Grand daddy, and Grandma for hosting us and giving Andrew lots of love!  Till next year!


Thank you to Kim at Running on the Fly and Deborah at Confessions of a Mother Runner for hosting the Weekly Run Down link up!  Check out the amazing blogs that are part of it and find a new one to love!  I know I have!
  







2 comments:

  1. You certainly managed to pack a ton into your vacation. Trail running scares me! I have also fallen a few times and now I am just scared but it always looks so pretty. Great week of workouts for you. thanks for linking up w us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, sometimes I get tired of staring at my feet for hours. Plus falling really, really hurts!

      Delete