Monday, September 14, 2020

Labor day Laboring

Labor Day!  We celebrated by working on race cars and heading back to the track to practice.  We tried using visuals to help Andrew with his lines.  Clean lines equal no momentum lost.  Yes, kids can still win with bad lines, but the really fast kids and the kids that move on and do well in senior classes have clean lines.  At a point in time the faster cars won't drive well if they aren't on the best lines.  Crappy lines = spin outs.


He put in a good solid practice, pushing his car as far as he could.  We are still fighting his Jr Honda car (black and green) with set up issues, so who knows what will happen this weekend.  At least he is holding up his end of the bargain. I can't wait to see all of his hard work pay off.  


Tuesday's run was chilly with temps dropping from 90s down to 40s.  I love colder weather, but some sort of transition into colder weather would be nice mother nature!


Wednesday's run was just as chilly, but add in some driving rain that started about a mile and half into my run. I decided to tough it out and just keep running and finish my 5 miler.  



Due to several days of rain, our gravel bike ride was canceled, but the waffle fairy came and cheered me up :)  You know me, I love to support my local running store as much as possible, but I had to get some goodies during Honey Stinger's  Labor day sale.  I also got a new pair of shoes on clearance, which NEVER happens to me.  I was getting close to 400 miles on my current Altras, so started looking around since I wanted to stay with the year model I am currently with.  Low and behold, Runner's Warehouse had one size 8 pair (i normally wear a size 6.5-7, but in altra's I wear a size 8, go figure) on clearance, so I saved over 70 bucks.  My trusty local shoe store doesn't stock older models, which means I don't feel as guilty about buying from someone else.  


Saturday's long run wasn't particularly long.  We had briefly thought about heading to a race 2 hours away and then decided while it would be fun, the 2 hour drive was not worth it for a 10k, even if it were on trails.  Neither of us wanted to get up at the crack of dawn since the temps have been much cooler.  We settled on 8 miles at 7 am and it was glorious, although the humidity was still ridiculous at 98%.  Post running we headed into town for some yummy sandwiches and sweet tea and then off off to the parking lot sale at the antique store I so love to go to now.  


Can I just pause right here for a moment and say that my kid is wearing my shirt and pants in a size men's small????  Plus he can wear my shoes!!!!! We had to make an emergency trip to old navy for jeans and pants because none of the clothes I had set back for this winter fit.  No more guessing what size he will be in!


I really, really wanted this piece.  It was 25 bucks and super cute.  Who didn't have a telephone chair in their house?  I just couldn't figure out a great place to put it in my house so had to leave it there:(


I had contemplated a long bike ride as the weather was glorious.  After our adventures for the day, we decided to try a new to us place and catch some live music while social distancing instead of me heading out on the gravel.  We have two wineries in our little tiny town, 456 winery and Oz Winery.  Both have tasting rooms, but we aren't much on wine drinking so haven't really tried both out.  Wine mostly gives me a horrible headache the day after, so I tend to stick to beer.  456 winery was having a food truck and social distanced music and my live music loving heart overcame my hang over tendencies.  We had street tacos from a food truck, listened to a really good band that did a lot of 90s covers, and just had fun in a safe outdoor environment.  We tasted five different wines and chose a few to take home.  You could even take a chilled bottle to your table and we did so twice (whoops). Happy to say even after 2 bottles shared, no headaches so maybe i have finally found a wine I can drink.  Plus bonus, the grapes are grown in Wamego and the wine is made right down the street from our shop!


Sunday was race day.  Sigh.  We had so much momentum going into the weekend before and got a weekend off for the holiday.  Even though we practiced and he had amazing practices, he just was kind of flat day of.  Junior Honda was a mess with both the feature and the heat being dead last place.  Again, as always our criteria is just try and there was little to no try. He just doesn't like that car and doesn't push it but too bad, you are stuck with it this season.  Junior animal was better as he started 6th but made his way up to 4th in the heat.  We inverted so he started in third for the feature and had a GREAT start to move up to 2nd.  He hung on to second for about 7 laps till Makayla stalked him down and caught him.  He hung on to 3rd and had an impressive gap and hung with the leaders till he hit a car that had spun out.  Since he was avoiding, he got to keep his spot that time.  He hit lap traffic and didn't have a clean pass (see picture above) and got into it with his buddy Brody.  Due to the rules, they both had to go to the very back with only 8 laps left.  Even though he was ahead of Brody in position, he was behind him in the race so he tried again and passed with 2 laps to go.  That was his best 5th place finish ever :)  It's hard though, we had to talk frankly about the lack of try in the one class and he was one little upset dude.  I keep telling myself he is only 8, this is his first year of competitive racing and most of the kids in his classes have been at competitive racing a lot longer.  He will get it, we will practice lots this week and finish this season strong.  


Have a great week y'all! I am looking forward to another glorious week of fall like weather and some more racing!









  


No comments:

Post a Comment