Monday, September 21, 2020

Mix it up!

 


Mondays are normally rest days for me, but because I didn't get a run in pre or post Andrew's race, I had to felt fresh and ready to go.  Convinced Robin to head out with me and out the door we went with the weather feeling like fall.  Except my body didn't get the memo that everything was good and perfect outside.  I was short of breath although the humidity was below 60%.  I got hot quickly and was glad i had water even though it was 80 with a nice breeze blowing.  I felt like the harder I tried to catch up with Robin, the worse I felt.  My hip hurt, my hamstring hurt, and my feet hurt.  It slowly got all better but still what the heck????  I know I am close to 400 miles on my shoes, but still.  


Tuesday had a visit to Andrew's therapist, whom I really, really like.  They talked about who was on his string of love.  Love the fact that Elvis and boom made it on and his "girlfriend".   They are still establishing a relationship prior to the ADHD testing which is coming up in a few weeks.  His anxiety is pretty much quieted itself, thank goodness I think in large part to the getting back to some sort of routine.  



Back to my pumpkin saga.  I have learned so much about pumpkins after we magically had a pumpkin plant appear at our front door in a patch of rocks by the gas meter.  I now know how to pick out female flowers (see above) and pollinate them (see my work below).   We may be having a second pumpkin grow, stay tuned.  


I got to get adjusted on Wednesday and we are upping my supplement game.  I take a multi vitamin, a probiotic, and tumeric, but my chiro thinks I need to get back on a Vitamin D as well as a fish oil supplement. I haven't had much luck with fish oils, so here is to hoping I can swallow this huge pills and not burp up fish all day.  I am very excited about the Vitamin D since they are just once a week.  Whew.  Plus, my chiro can source both for a very affordable price.  I told her about my crappy run and how sore I had been and she immediately jumped to my diet....which is horrible.   She asked if I had done anything new or out of the ordinary.  Uh, well, kind of.  We did have wine and a lot of it over the weekend and I am not a wine drinker, but I do drink beer, so not sure if that is a trigger or not.  She did remind me wine has a ton of sugar in it and sugar overload equals inflammation.  


Thursday was a quick run and then a 14ish mile  ride.  My watch died mid ride, so not sure exactly how long we got but it was a fun trip.  It was so hazy from the fires  that I can't even imagine what it feels and looks like in California and Oregon.  Jamie picked a beautiful route that had some challenging hills and some nice flats.  It is so beautiful out on the gravel right now, but harvest is on the way so corn cob riding it is!

 

I decided since I had only ran twice this week with one run being a super short one, that i would head out on a run while Andrew was in piano.  Lucky for me, hubby took him to piano so I could work late and then go on a run with both of my kiddos.  They did SO good for me off leash, hanging out right with me without me having to say a word.  I am so lucky to have rural gravel roads to run on so they can be loose.  You can't see boom in the picture but he was right next to Stella like a good, good boy.  We got 4 quick miles in :)


Robin and I decided we wanted trails but we didn't want snakes or spider webs which meant heading to the rails to trail trail up in Marysville.  I am so glad we did because it was a beautiful morning and we saw lots of amazing flowers blooming along side the trail.   I love this trail but flat rail trails really beat me up for some odd reason and I was sore for the next two days.


Post running and showering, we headed out to try out Andrew's new motor on his Junior Honda car.  Lots of kiddos out practicing which meant limited track time but he put in quality work and I am glad that it is all coming together!  I think Tony is getting closer to figuring out the Junior Honda car and when he and Andrew get it together, well let's just say I can't wait!


Sunday was race day.  We had a new motor that was really not tested enough and a kiddo that was ready to race.  I will say he had one hell of a race day.  As always, we don't measure his success by his finishes but more on what goals we set for the day.  


We set our goals for the day being good starts, pass at least one car, and don't give up position unless the car behind you has a really good run on you.  He had amazing starts all day, getting to lead a few laps in several races.  In the Junior Honda heat, he started 4th and held off two amazing racers to finish fourth out of six racers.  The coin flip determined we inverted the field so he moved up to 3rd and inside, which is his favorite place to start.  While he had a run on the 1st place car, he didn't pass and ended up in second for a while, then third, then fourth and finally back to 5th.  The car was not fast enough to give anything to those first 4 and we knew it, being a new motor with just some practice laps on it.  We were VERY proud of both races and how he drove the car as hard as he could. That is all we ask for.  He even at one point was pushing the car SO hard he was up on two wheels and didn't get scared and back off.  His good buddy Madden got his very first feature win and we are so proud of how hard madden has worked all year to get that win!


 As always, his confidence lies in this car and he had amazing starts in both races.  In the heat race he ended up 2nd place to a very fast car (the one pictured behind him, stalking him).  I was proud of him maintaining his gap between him and 3rd and fourth and running good fast lines.  He was OH so close to breaking that 6.6 barrier laying down a 6.707.  GAH!  He ended up with another good start but the two cars that are just faster hunted him down and passed him.  Again, I am SO proud of how hard he drove and that he never gave up his good lines.  Those good lines are going to help him next year when he moves up to the senior classes before.  


Have a great week!  We have a night race this week and I hope to get more running and biking done.  








No comments:

Post a Comment