Monday, October 12, 2020

Last race weekend!

 

I kind of like starting out the week with a run.  May have to stay on this #nevermissamonday train.  Got out post work and was only going to do a short 4 miler, but pushed through and got 5.  Stella was pretty happy even though it was a bit warmer.  Looks like we might have warmer temps this week, but I am okay as long as the humidity stays away.  


Tuesday night we headed to the track.  We had our first really, really good practice.  I have always said Andrew needs small goals to hit versus just going out and doing circles that accomplish nothing.  This week is the last points race and we pretty much have third place locked up as long as we have a good performance this week.  Andrew loves this car, so we are going to focus on it for the reminder of the season and if we go to any national events (Spoiler alert, we decided to go to nationals in TX).


Didn't get any pictures of my run Wednesday except a giant black snake that had sustained injuries due to being run over and your welcome, I will spare you the gore.  It was SUPER hot for fall, 92 degrees I think and honestly didn't want to run period.  I couldn't take the dogs and Rockin Robin was gone.  I decided to run around town (who am I ???) and stay within earshot of people just in case being alone and dogless.  I got a pretty hilly pavement filled, sweat induced run done but only 3 miles before I lost my mind and my stomach also went south.  


No filters on this picture, just a beautiful sunset.  The corn is still being harvested and now the soybeans are coming out and lots of dust in the air makes some amazing sunsets.  Again, I was not feeling like getting out in the heat and wind, but Robin and I rallied and got on our bikes and enjoyed ourselves.  We had a nice flat ride out on the wamego countryside and enjoyed the company.  




Saturday = long run, but I didn't want to get out early thanks to the cool weather we have been having in the mornings.  Rockin Robin had to head out early to go visit family and we got 5 miles together before she headed out.    I was able to get 5 miles on each dog separately, making them to very happy and tired aussies.   This honestly was the first long run that I felt like I could keep going and not die.  Yeah for fall weather but boo for 92% humidity.  I was seriously glad I was not out racing the ultra in  Cassoday Ks that I briefly thought about switching to when my race got canceled.   


After running we all cleaned up and headed out to a skating birthday party.  Andrew's buddy Madden was celebrating and we had the place to ourselves and had so much fun.  I am happy to say that I didn't fall even though their flooring was much different than what I had ever skated on.  Most of the kids were track kiddos and they played games and ate cake and talked and talked and talked.  We then made a quick stop to the Toy Store in Topeka for some more books and then a lunch outdoors at Chipotle.


Practice was really good and we were super excited to see how he would handle Sunday.  Last point's race of the year and we needed to end on a good note.  
 

Unfortunately, Andrew likes to remind us now and again he is 8 and a very young 8 at that, and for whatever reason he did not come to race that day.  His cars were slow and whether it was our fault for not setting them up correctly or he just wasn't driving as hard as he has been is still debatable.  He was back to his Cautious Coleman self with a very full class of 9 in Junior Honda and a very light class in Junior Animal.  He did have the chance to really shine this week in his Animal car and for whatever reason did not.  A third in the feature and a last place in the Heat did not leave anyone very excited.  I did convey to him that all we want is for him to try hard, even if he gets last trying hard.  I was disappointed in his try and wished we had ended the season on a better note.  I won't even talk about Junior Honda because it was a big ole mess with several times of him stomping on his brakes.  Sigh.  We still have two, maybe three more races in which he can redeem himself and show us he really wants to continue racing.  Based on overall how the whole season has gone and how he has developed as a driver makes me feel that he wants to continue, so stay tuned.  


Have a great week y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment