Sunday, September 12, 2021

Week 9 of 12: Training for the Hell Creek 20 miler

Started off a week with a holiday.  Who doesn't like to miss a day of work?  Small business owners, that's who cause we still have to work :)


What I was suppose to do:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 4 miles
Wednesday: 5 miles
Thursday: 5 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 21 miles
Sunday: 4 miles

Monday:  Rest day.  Which I turned into cross training day.  It was a beautiful day and a holiday for us at Coleman Electric, and instead of getting up early and possibly running on my "day off",  I slept in and got on my bike.  I did 8 ish miles with Robin and then headed back out to do 8 more miles.  The wind kicked up towards the end and made it a little challenging, but got it done.  Then came home and ate and laid down and napped. I am not a napper AT ALL.  I think we have some little virus we are all passing around.  We all have some combo of sore throats, some fatigue, and snot in some form.  Andrew seems through his, which gives me hope that mine won't last long. I haven't had any fever, just a sore throat and a little congestion. He has been fine since Friday afternoon, fever free, just a little snotty nose.  


Tuesday:  4 at 5.  The temps were okay, low enough dewpoint for boom to go with.  I am so ready for fall.  Have I said that 100 times yet?  We also had picture day at the football field before practice.  Love his intensity lately and his slow turn around to really liking football.  Can't wait to their first game!



Wednesday: 
My plan was to get up and get a run in before my business meeting, but when my alarm went off at 4:45, my body said nope.  I have been battling this virus that andrew so graciously shared with the entire family and it's causing me to have some major head congestion, which means sleep isn't always fun.  The entire day I just felt yucky, no fever, but felt like I was running one.  I had planned on eating a protein bar for dinner and then running post my board meeting and that just didn't happen. I was very tired and still hungry and opted to eat a little more and take an early bedtime.  



Thursday:  4 at 5.  I initially woke up and said nope, but convinced myself to get up, brush my teeth and feed the dogs before I made a decision. I kept getting dressed and headed out the door and my run magically felt 100 times better other than a headache in my sinuses.    



Friday:  Rest day.  I needed to get up and run since I had 5 runs scheduled this week and not enough time to even get 4 in.  I had another "bad day" thanks to whatever this virus is.  Our whole town has it but it isn't Covid and it isn't strep either  (Yes I know strep is not a virus).  Again I listened to my body but still was rewarded with all day dizziness and a killer headache at the high school football game.  Andrew went to his first Raiders high school football game.  We ate concessions stand food, got some new raider's gear, and andrew played his heart out with his buddies.  My heart is so happy.  He has gained a whole new set of friends.



Saturday:  Long run day and race day.  Same story, different day.  Didn't get up early enough.  Wanted a range of 14-16 with 15 being the sweet spot so I can start tapering next week.  I was okay till 11 ish miles and then the heat got to me.  I usually complain about the humidity but on Saturday it was AWOL whic meant my body didn't really know how hot it was till it was too hot.  I started doing some power walking and that felt good so the last 3 ish miles I did more power walking than running.  When I got to the house I was around 14.44 and I called it good.  



Saturday night was another night race and we were moving Andrew up to the senior classes.  You can move up once your kiddo turns 9 and I had thought were might stay in Junior classes all year, but hubby had other ideas.  Andrew had been wrecked so many times lately that his confidence was pretty darn low and hubby had hoped by moving him up that maybe he wouldn't be wrecked every single race and thus gain some confidence back. I was pretty nervous because most of the kids in the senior classes are older and have been driving longer.  I think most of the racers he was with were 12 and above but he held his own and while he got last every race, he pushed his car hard and even spun out a few times!!!!  I think he had a great experience and even though there will be more kids back at the next race (several were taking a break this weekend post national races), I think we will end the season on a good note. 

 


Sunday:  recovery run?  How about a recovery walk?  We had a long day with our first big football scrimmage, a bit of time down in aggieville to pick up our pottery that we painted a week or so ago, and a little bit of Chief's game watching.  Plus, I had a ton of work and track work to do when we did get back to the house.  Wamego Jr Raiders 3/4th grade team won their scrimmage, the Chiefs won a very ugly game, and our pottery looks amazing.  



A quick aside.  I try to never be this parent but I am going to go there.  Hear me out.  This is Andrew's first year of football.  He isn't God's gift to athletics and we know that.  We were very shocked when he was taking lots of snaps on the red offense which is the A team.  Suddenly at one of the last practices, he was moved to the B team and at the game he was shuffled all the way to the C team.  We still don't know what happened or why he was shuffled back so quickly, especially when the head coach wasn't even at the last practice, but he was and it was hard to watch him pretty much sit on the sidelines the entire scrimmage.  He maybe got 5 snaps the whole game.  Since there are 4th, 3rd, and even 2nd graders on the team, it is very hard to get everyone on the field and I get it.   I have volunteered for kid's sports since he was old enough to play and I am trying not to be "that parent", but I would love to know what he did that was so wrong to lose not only starting spot but back up as well. We have a long season so he can always turn it around, but communication would be nice.  Okay got my feelings out, moving on.  

What I did thanks to being super busy and sick:

Monday: Cross train
Tuesday: 4 miles
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 4 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 14.44 miles
Sunday: 2 miles walking

It is what it is.  I am still feeling the effects from this virus, even on Sunday night.  I hope to feel back to normal real this upcoming week (FINGERS CROSSED).  Have a great week y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment