Monday, March 7, 2022

Week 6: Training for the 0 Mile Flint Hills 50K

 How about some pictures and very few words?  I am fine with that if you are?


#truth

I did four runs this week.  An easy run of 5, 4 miles of speed work (snowman run, need to rename for spring/summer), a long run of 11, and an easy run to end the week.  All runs went well with some wind, hot temps, and some ammonia nitrate injections.  The farmers are getting ready for spring planting and I had split my long run so Stella could go for part of it.  When I headed back out, the farmers were busy getting their anhydrous ammonia in their fields and boom and I could not stand the smell, which meant we had to run in town and get very creative to get our mileage finished.  



I needed every run to combat major life stress this week.  My hubby had what he thought might be just  a stomach virus, but he was seeing blood in his vomit and that was very scary for both of us.  After seeing our PCP that morning, she wanted us to go to the ER so we could get testing done quickly.  She wanted a scope, a CT scan, and lots of bloodwork to rule out any bleeding internally from his esophagus or his stomach.  While I do appreciate the staff at the hospital, I think they ruled him out very quickly as just someone who had a stomach virus and nothing more.  I am kind of glad he filled two bags with bloody vomit when they were doing his CT so they actually believed us.  We were sent home with nausea meds, Tylenol, and lots and lots of lab results.  When we saw our PCP the next day, they were very unhappy with the lack of scope and the fact that an EKG was performed and no one informed us it was abnormal.  Also nothing was done really to get Tony's blood sugar down.  He is a diabetic that isn't doing a great job of managing his diabetes and he was close to 400 when we were at the ER.    We formed a plan of attack including a scope to rule out ulcers, a stress test to make sure his heart is okay, a visit with an endocrinologist to decide if he truly has type 1 or type 2 and how to treat, and insulin bolus at night to get the blood sugar down immediately.  


We were treated with some beautiful sunsets this week.  


Andrew also had a day off from school so we hit the coffee shop and the library.


It was 60 at 5:30 am when I got up to run.  I am not ready for the crazy high temps we had this week.  One day it even got up to 81. I  need a gradual warm up please!


Because of the warm up happening so quickly, Stella was not able to do many of the runs with us this week.  It makes me super sad to leave her behind but I know the heat is not her friend any more.  Even on Saturday when she did 5 of our 11 miles she was struggling with the humidity and it seriously broke my heart.  I am not ready for her to be old or retired.  She's been running so well all winter.  Sigh.


















No comments:

Post a Comment