Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Boom's 2022 Running Recap


Hi BOOM BOOM here!  I get to write a post all by myself since Stella retired from running this year.  Although she doesn't run races or train, we still play and chase each other around the house and yard and she is FAST for an 11 year old doggo.  Mom didn't do too many races this year thanks to my two legged brother being so busy.  Dang ginger!  He races, plays baseball, plays football, and wrestles.  Mom says he takes precedence over our running races right now and I am A OKAY with that...for now.  We only had two races this year, so this is short and sweet, just like my attention span.  



First up was a 50K with Miss Kittie and Robin.  I run with Miss Kittie all of the time and she is kind of my girlfriend. Our moms picked a spring race, which can always be tricky in Kansas, sometimes cold and sometimes hot and humid already.  While Miss Kittie and I were honestly pulling our moms to a 50K PR thanks to us being expert runners and the weather being nice and cold, my mom's tummy decided to shut down and make her feel horrible.  


I took over all duties of keeping her safe and getting her to the finish line by gently pulling her and finishing any and all fuel that she couldn't stomach.  I mean, we can't litter, so I had to eat it right?  I also took great offense at the photographers.  Yes, Mile 90 takes amazing photos, but why does John and company have to look so scary with those big cameras?  I also met a lose dog that was enjoying the runners on the course and let's just say he and I didn't like each other.  Mom told me to leave him and go on and yelled at him and I did my best to ignore him, but he was a big old PUNK!  AND while he ran a lot with other runners, he didn't run a 50K like me!!!!



Last race of the year was a half marathon back out at the same trial we did the 50K at.  Since the momma doesn't like training in the summer anymore, we aren't going to do any fall ultras unless they are super duper late fall.  I'm fine with that, I don't like heat or humidity either.  Mom had a longer tougher race planned for later on in the fall anyway, but that didn't happen. I am getting head of myself, but mom says I am special, so maybe that is why I get ahead of myself?



This was on the same trail is our 50K, so I knew the trail well.  Mom had hoped by entering a shorter race that September might be kind enough not to kill us.  Mom was wrong.  When we started it was 100 percent humidity, but overcast.  Mom said if the sun had come out that we would have pulled from the race and lucky for us it didn't.  See my tongue?  That humidity didn't allow us to cool very well so mom made us take a lot of water breaks and also do lots of walk breaks.  


Mom and Robin decided no more September races, even if short for us pups.  It's just not worth the risk. 


I was super excited to get to do my first technical trail race at Clinton lake next.  Mom made me promise to not pull her down on the rocks and to be good like my sis Stella.  Whatevs.  Except the race didn't happen for us because my two legged brother's football team got in the tournament for football.  They actually won the whole dang thing.  I am pretty proud of him because he had worked super hard all year getting better at his position.  Plus, I don't know what a technical trail is but it sounds scary!


Lots of great training this year for me and looking forward to our first 12 hour attempt at pulling the momma to her next 50 miler (maybe).  Glad to get a 50K under my belt and wanting to get on some technical trails over the winter.  Mom also ordered me some funny shoes and a snow suit whatever that is.  She thinks I am going to wear them but she has another thing coming!  She s NOT going to embarass me in front of my girls!







No comments:

Post a Comment