Sunday, April 15, 2018

Week 17 of 18: Flint Hills 50 and Trail Marathon

Spring.....knock knock....Are  you there?  Maybe this week?  Maybe for a few days?  Yes? No? Okay, I will try back next week.

of course if you save up your hard earned tokens from Sylvan, you get a giant hammer!
Monday:  I am renaming Monday to Marathon Monday.  We had school, Sylvan, and grocery shopping all bam, bam, bam.  Then upon getting home, I had to feed dogs, do several loads of laundry, and load and unload the dishwasher.  The fun never ends.  I love being a BAMR but sometimes it does wear me out. A little side note here.  We had our monthly meeting with Sylvan and Andrew has started struggling with a few things writing related.  It's so weird how something in his brain can't make the fingers work to get the letters on the page.  He knows the letters, can identify them, but just has some sort of mental block about getting them down and out of his head.  He is definitely a visual learner, as in if you show him the letter, he can write it no problem, but just asking, nope.  Sylvan also met with his school and his school seems to still be firmly in the ADHD category.  I am still kind of unsure as to what to do if anything.  I still feel in my gut that he is young, that he will catch up, and there is NOTHING wrong with him.  I am going to try and focus on that feeling.


Tuesday:  Okay, I was suppose to do speed work, but I was still kind of sore and tired from the race.  I decided to make an executive decision and not do hard speed work.  Instead I just did 6 easy with the girls on the concrete track.  I wanted to meet at the track so that maybe Stella could run with us and her toe would be safer since there would be no rocks.  She seemed to be fine, a few little steps where I thought maybe she might be ouchy, but the overall she ran fine.  I am hoping this means we will be good to go for the full.  Her vet says that the quick will shrivel up and no longer be painful, and that the nail will re grow around it. I am keeping a close eye on it and making sure it stays clean and she leaves it alone.  Thus far, she hasn't seem too concerned with it, other than the one night where she broke the rest of the nail off and the quick was hanging out.

Wednesday:  Cross training/strength.  My intention was to get home, air up my tires, and head out for a nice long bike ride.  As I was driving home, I noticed my van was getting blown all over the road.  DANG WIND!   If the wind was coming from one direction and one direction only, I might have been fine, but it was coming from the south and west, so I was doomed.  Instead I did some fun stuff at track with the kiddos.  I introduced them to speed work and intervals and fartleks, which of course left them in tears from laughter at the word.  I did one lap of fartleks with them, but as I have said before, the track hates me and my body was screaming to not do that again, so for intervals I just watched and used my big mouth to yell at them when to run.  Even with only doing a warm up lap, one lap of fartleks, and one cool down lap with them, my body was super sore.  Why does that surface hate me so?

taken from a friend's FB page.  WHY Kansas WHY?
Thursday:  4 easy with the girls.  I love these runs.  No thinking, just go.  It was a lovely 60 degrees at 4:40 am and we ran in shorts and t shirts.  While I am not a fan of heat or humidity, I am seriously at the point where I enjoy being able to get dressed so quickly and easily, and not be wearing 5 layers.  Stella seemed fine with her foot, even on gravel, so I am can breath a sigh of relief about her and the race.  I could tell the sudden increase in temperature did slow Deuce down, so I hope we do have some sort of spring, in which we ease into high temperatures instead of a huge LEAP into 100 degree/100 percent humidity days.  I also really hope that the weather is cool/cold for next weekend.  That is one weekend where I won't complain at all about cold!


our outtakes from using the selfie ball clip thingy for my phone.  She has a big mouth :)

Friday: Normally this would be a rest or cross train day, but because of the predicted snow and nastiness, and the fact that my hubby would be working Saturday, I figured we would go ahead and knock out the long run before work.  Of course life threw me a curve ball in the form of transmission work needing immediate attention to my old van, so I slept in, took little man to school, dropped my van off at the shop, and ran home to pick up gear and deuce to head out (Stella rode with me).  The wind was horrible, around 25 mph sustained with gusts up to 40 mph.  I tried to keep an east/west route and mostly in sheltered areas, but even with that the cross winds were horrible on the open prairie and the wind occasionally whipped around to the west to give me a nice head wind.  We saw our first snake of the season, and lucky for us he was just booking the other way.   I also got blown off of my feet, which is a weird sensation.  I luckily landed on my feet, but I initially thought Stella had tripped me.  When I looked back to fuss at her, she was no where around.  It was also hot. Started at 70 degrees and ended close to 80.  We needed this though because next weekend looks to be warmer, so we need some warmer runs under out belts.  At this point I am still hoping to get to race with Stella, but probably will watch the weather and decide the night before.  While she is probably fine to run up to 80 degrees or even more, we just haven't had many hot runs yet period to acclimate any of us.
our first official son/mom date
Saturday:  Cross training or rest.  I chose rest.  I am battling a few little niggles...per usual for my weird body, so the more rest I can give my body, the better.  Plus, plummeting temperatures and snow/ice predictions just didn't sound like fun.  I did try a barre class last week and something tweaked in my hip during the very simple work out I did, which scared me.  I am going to wait till after my marathon to start my barre classes in earnest.  I LOVED the class I did and even though it was just 20 minutes, I felt like I got a great work out.  I am just paranoid right now with the race one week away.  I also don't want to write this here but I have to. I am scared that i am getting plantar fasciitis in my left foot:(   Ever since I started running in my new Saucony Triumphs with the Everrun all throughout the sole, I have been having weird foot issues.  Mainly weird shooting pains in my toes, but about a week ago, I started noticing I was having pain in my arch right next to my heel.  Can I scream the F word right now???  Now I have battled PF before, years ago before I was even a runner and won, so I am hoping I can beat it again.  I am massaging, stretching, icing, wearing my compression sock for my calf muscles, and doing everything I can to defeat this.  I really don't want to have to change shoes brands/models yet again.  I hate that my feet have been fine up until this update.  I really don't want to have to throw away or donate a 160 dollar pair of shoes either.  Sigh.


Later on Saturday, Andrew and I had our first official son/mom date.  Our local Chick Fil A had a Lego event where we had our own fancy table, had table side service, and got to do a craft and big Legos.  The only issue?  When we go to Chick Fil A normally, we eat while he plays, so he was looking longingly at the play area the whole time.  I finally let him ditch me when we were done with dessert.  We had fun and would come back if they do another night just for us!

stella had the right idea!
Sunday:  Another rest day.  I went ahead and ordered a compression sleeve Saturday for my foot, as well as started on a round of anti inflammatories.  While I normally try and stay away from drugs, I need to try and knock this out as quickly as possible, as I have my race next weekend and three pacing races to go.  I plan on taking some time off  with NO running post my full, even though I have some half marathons to pace, because my body needs it! Since it was snowing/cold/icy outside, we decided to just hang at the house and be sloths other than some stretching, icing, and active recovery (does doing laundry count as active recovery?). 

I will not obsess about the weather.  I will not obsess about the weather.
Getting super excited for my race next weekend!  We got our big email blast about aid stations, crew stations, and all the details we need to race successfully!  The butterflies have started dancing in earnest.  Have a great week and see you post my next marathon!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment