Sunday, November 3, 2019

Week 23 of 24: Almost there!

Say it ain't SNOW!  It's not even Halloween and we are getting snow.  I LOVE it and HATE it all at the same time.  Since I am not getting a ton of photos due to the cold/snow/dark, enjoy some photos from Mile 90 from this weekend's race.



Monday:  Girls on the Run miles and then miles with boom to equal 4.  Originally we thought we would be inside and I was going to take a full rest day, but we took a vote and even thought it was feels like 32 outside and snowing, the girls CHOSE to go outside!!!!!  We got about 2.5 done so Robin and I decided to finish up and get the 4 I needed for Wednesday.


Tuesday:  Rest day.  Take Stella to the vet day to see what hoppy skippy means.  As the chiropractor could not find anything glaringly wrong, neither could my vet.  This is good and bad.  Finding something = treating it.  Finding nothing = throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.  On top of not finding anything, what she did find was something I really did not want to find.  She almost immediately said Stella has a heart murmur.  Of course Stella has been on grain free food for years because of deuce's weird allergies, so DCM (dilated cardio myopathy) could be an issue.  Sigh.  I didn't loose her to IMPA and I am NOT going to loose her to DCM.  Luckily, I had switched her to grain included foods back in March of this year, so hopefully if it is diet induced, we can reverse it.  Going to see a cardiologist at KSU to see what we can find out.  Glad i have been working hard on my credit card to get it paid down :(

post snow, all of the trees dropped their leaves before they even turned
Wednesday:  8 miles.  Based on the forecast models, we thought we would wait till post work to run as they snow and ice should be done.  We woke up to.......nothing.  Of course.  Decided to hit the mill later and get as much as I could without loosing my mind.  Low and behold, I found a new Netflix series to watch (Unbelievable, very good, but also very hard to watch) and 8 miles went by quickly.  Plus, we had SNOW finally!  Kind of fun to watch it fall from the comfort of your own home and know it would be gone by the next day when the sun came out. 

Sheriff Woody x 2
Thursday: HALLOWEEN!  Normally this would be a Girls on the Run day, but we had the day off and I took it as a total rest day since we would be walking from house to house trying not to freeze later.  Andrew didn't really want to trick or treat that much.  We maybe hit three streets worth of houses, so maybe 10 or so houses and he was done.  He didn't even want to go downtown for the trick or treating there.  I was shocked but secretly happy, we don't need a ton of candy hanging out in the house and it was cold.  We headed back to hand out candy and turned out lights out at 7:20 pm to eat pizza and watch scary movies.

Cups everywhere!
Friday:  8 miles or rest?  I chose rest.  Yes, I wimped out on a run and you know what, the hay is in the barn, so I am not stressing about it.  I had planned to run post work but post a very painful and productive massage, I decided resting would benefit me more than getting back on the mill.
our relay team Sofa King Hood
Saturday:  1 hour run.  A while back Mel had mentioned doing a marathon relay.  I had never done one before and it was the same day as Tails on the Trail in Topeka, one of Stella and I's favorite races.  I decided to step out of my comfort zone and stay local, and join the relay team of 3 other speedy ladies. I warned them that I had NOT done speed in a long time and I had no clue what I could do.  I was running third of the group with Mel our speediest bringing up the rear.  I figured this would either work for my hour, or I could go get 4 more post running.  Lucky for me, I was able to push and get an hour and 3 minutes and get my speediest 10K in a long time (59 something, my PR is 56 something on the flattest course ever made).  My mantras included "I can do anything for an hour" and "DO WORK".  I kept locking in on someone ahead of me and then trying to reel them in and pass.  Luckily for me, most of the people out on the course were half marathoners on their second loop or marathoners on their third loop (this is a looped course that each of us ran 1 time so the marathoners did it 4 times total), so a little bit easier to pick tired runners off.  I have to admit, I am fan of looping because you are always near aid and bathrooms.  We finished 3rd female team and 10th team overall of mixed, female, and male teams.  While I am still more in love with trails that pavement, it was fun to get back out there and push myself to see what my body could do.

First year in Jr Novice!  

Later we had the Topeka Quarter Midget association's banquet.  We dressed up, bought a frozen pie (long story), and headed to Topeka for a night of fun.  We had a BBQ dinner with amazing sides and dessert, lots of awards (Andrew won 2nd overall in the night series and also got a trophy for his complete first year in Novice), and then headed out for a big bonfire and more fun.  The boys played non stop the whole night and had SO much fun. I am really going to miss everyone and want to fast forward till next season!!!!  Andrew has made such great friends and I am sad that they all live either in Topeka, Salina, or KC, so we won't get to see them much in this off season.


Sunday: Longish run day.  I had missed an 8 and a ten mile run so I had my pick.  I knew I was going to take it super easy no matter what we did.  It was a BEAUTIFUL fall day so we slept in, stayed in our pjs way to long, and then ran later in the afternoon.  I will take a whole month or more of this weather PLEASE!


What a great second week of taper.  While I didn't get all of my runs, I did what was best for my body.  Now on to RACE WEEK!

No comments:

Post a Comment