Monday, November 25, 2019

Recovery week # 2

Another week of recovery.  Wrestling starts this week and I can't wait to see all of my favorite wrestling parents!  Enjoy some random photos from the week.


I forgot to mention in all of my recaps that I did do something new to me, during a race, which is a big no no.  I have never had painkillers during a race, but I know many who do take advil or Tylenol during races.  I try to stay away from anything in pill form, but sometimes, you just have to try. I had read a race recap of a blogger I follow and she pretty religiously on race day pops pills.  My mom had advil just in case, but I had not planned on using it.  Suddenly in loop 2, I got some weird aches and pains.  My groin started hurting and my lower back started aching.  I decided to go against the nothing new rule and try a round and see what could happen.  I am happy to say that it totally helped me and my aches and pains went away, and that even though I continued to use them throughout the day every 4 hours, I had no ill effects from them at all.  Whether the help was a placebo effect or real, I am not sure and I totally advise you to try any type of painkillers in practice versus a race for the first time to make sure you suffer no ill effects.  I also in no way recommend taking pain killers during a race of any kind because you need to do what is best and right for you, and in this case i was lucky that it worked.  Will I try it again during a race?  Maybe.


I did try and power walk with the girls Monday during practice.  This was their last big work out pre 5K and I wanted to be there more than just a cheerleader.  I tried power walking and my body said "uh, nope!".  I settled for an almost power walk and had several girls hang with me throughout the run.  I have scheduled a massage and I am hoping that helps with the tightness I am still feeling.  My energy levels are much better, but still not where i want them to be.  Probably does not help I started my period a few days into recovery either.


As the week went on, the desire to run got greater and greater. I decided to try on Saturday with a super duper easy 4 miler.  I warned Robin I had no clue how fast or far I could go, and that would entirely depend on my body.  I was winded, a little sore, and super slow, but I felt like going 4 miles and I did.  Stella was SUPER happy to be back out, sprinting back and forth from me to robin and ebby, and barking and biting me when my watch beeped.  She was even super sassy when I tried to sit down and get a selfie of us.

I was SO glad to be out, even if it was for a little bit.  You don't realize how much running is a stress relief until you don't do it for two weeks.  


I went again on Sunday for a very short distance.  I decided to be brave and take both Boom and Stella.  While they both pulled like sled dogs and went way faster than I wanted, I was able to let Stella off for a while to relieve the pulling power.  Not brave enough to let them both off yet.  I wanted to do another 4 miler, but I listened to my body which quickly told me 1.5 turn around 1.5 back was the best plan.  I wanted to be able to run with the girls on Monday for Girls on the Run anyway, so short run was perfect.  

Last week of official recovery in the books.  Training doesn't start till mid December, so going to continue to keep it light, slow, and cautious.  I have a massage coming up and I have several issues to address that I hope she can make a little better.  My lower back has started bothering me again and I don't like that.  I also have several options when it comes to working out/lifting and I need to get back to that.  I know Crossfit/lifting is what gave me a phenomenal year in training so I need to get back to it!  Have a great week!




No comments:

Post a Comment