Saturday, April 17, 2021

Race Week Flint Hill's 50 miler

OMG.  Yes I am screaming because heck I am getting pretty excited about the race.  Will I do the entire race?  WHO knows!!!  Will I have fun?  I am going to try my darndest!  Which dog will I run with, STAY TUNED :)


I ran with the girls on Monday but only part of the running time as we had to fill out posters as coaches thanks to the modifications because of Covid.  I ended up getting a mile in and my leg was screaming since we were all on hard sidewalk, so called it good.  Tuesday had perfect weather, but SO MUCH BURNING.  If you are from KS or around you know how we burn spring pastures/fields around this time.  While I really wanted to run, it was so smoky/ hazy that Tony asked me not to and I for once obliged.  Instead we mapped out the route and then found the two aid stations he would need to be at and drove to them to check them out.  I remembered one from running the marathon route a few years ago, but could not for the life of me remember the other.  Tony got to see how uphill this entire race is and found that both aid stations were off of a main road, which will make his job way easier as mobile crew.  There was so much burning on the route that at times we couldn't see the road for the smoke, but I am hoping that means by Saturday that all will be done and we can have a smoke free run.

  


The week was spent mostly doing things like mowing and yard work.  Loving that everything is blooming but was kind of worried since it was also getting pretty cold at night.  



I had made a decision to start with Stella and have boom in the car just in case I needed to trade out at the 25 mile mark.  It was a good decision because foreshadowing since I am writing this post my race, I had to switch them out at mile 19 because stella was just off.  More on that in my race report.  


I ran another mile long run with my girls again.  I just love them so and I can't not run with them.  I waited till the end of their run to get in a mile with them.  


By the time I got this cart full and checked out, I think the lady thought I was on drugs and having the munchies.  Thursday night after I shopped I packed and did a live video on my packing method.  I have learned so much from helping other runners in their races and I highly recommend if you ever want to run an ultra, crew for an ultra runner as you will learn SO much!


Tony got my bib for me from Manhattan Running company.  The t shirt was so soft and amazing and I can't wait to wear it!  


That's a wrap for the week!  Stay tuned for the race report!


No comments:

Post a Comment