Monday, April 26, 2021

Recovery Week

 


This week was about rest and recovery and ........snow?



I know we have had snow this late in the year before but almost 5 inches of wet heavy snow was not what I had figured would actually happen when the predictions started.  What is crazy is 6 hours later it was completely melted and it was like it never happened.  The above picture was not taken by me but taken by a local artist. I have reached out to buy a print but I absolutely adore this shot of our beautiful city park.  



His name is Dad's Eye View if you want to check out his amazing work.  I don't think the Tulips loved the heavy snow but so far my flowers in my yard seem to be bouncing back.  As Jill Haukos wrote, the prairie will bounce back, it's a hardy soul.  


I think Stella's face says it all.  WTH mother nature????  

We had two of our last big practices before the end of the year 5K for our Girls on the Run girls.  We had another 35 minute run in very nice cool weather and then our practice 5K.  Most of the girls had been running super close to 3 miles anyway so I didn't anticipate any issues.  We did do a new to them route with hills and I am SO excited to say that most if not all of them did their 5 K in under 40 minutes!!!! I am blown away!!!!  While I am super sad we can't run with them at the actual 5K, I can not wait to welcome them all at the finish line. 
 

I had not planned on running with them at first as I didn't know if I would be able to but as the week went on and I felt mostly fine, I made the decision to try it.  After having an incredible painful adjustment session with my chiro where she tried to break my pelvic bones and beat the living crap out of the inside of my thighs with a massage gun, she gave me the green light, as long as we took it easy and that was the ONLY run for the week.  She also told me I could get back to light weights next week but that it may be a good idea to take another week off as nasty as my pelvic bones are right now.  



The weekend was a blur without running to define it LOL!  We watched a band at our local winery outdoors with amazing BBQ on Saturday night.  We also headed over to one of our favorite pizza places for lunch and played some fun games including pin ball and a little ring string toss thing.  



Then it was early to bed so we could get up and start out our race season.  I had high hopes for this year as Andrew has been practicing hard and really refining his lines and speed.  



The day did not go well and I don't know if it was a combo of nerves, the car not being set up correctly, or not taking meds and loosing focus or what.  There were several wrecks involving Andrew and other kiddos.  Andrew's car had issues and seem to go backwards instead of forwards all day.  After watching him drive his butt off in practice, it was super hard to watch him struggle and get last place all day. His favorite car got smashed and is going to have to some welds fixed.  The most important part though was he got to see his friends and play his little heart out.  I don't think Tony saw him all day except when it was time to race.  THAT is why we do this, for the friendships and the fun pre and post race.


Have a great week y'all!  I will get back to lifting some light weights and then it's time for the GOTR 5K and maybe some return to running for me for my sanity!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment