Sunday, May 2, 2021

Recovery week 2 and I DID A THING


I signed up for another race for late fall.  I was eyeing this race as it's only a 20 miler, so training won't be that much, and if I miss some long run weekends thanks to racing, it won't be the end of the world.  Robin and I are going to run this one together with our pups and of course train together.  I did a 50K out on this course years ago and got my very first DNF, so I am very acquainted with the trail itself.  Robin has also run some races out there and it's absolutely gorgeous, just not very shaded.  Again, it's a mountain bike trail which makes running a challenge for a penguin turned out feet runner like me, but we are just going to have fun and take our time and enjoy it.  


Most of the week was spent resting or running very short distances with my girls.  I did get one strength session in with dead lifts, back squats, planks, and some birddogs and dead bugs.  We ran about 2 miles per our running times and did a short 4 miler with Robin and the girl dogs on Sunday.  I am DEFINATELY not heat acclimated at all.



We had our 5K for our Girls on the Run on Saturday.  It was a warm blustery day and the course was an out and back that took them not only straight into the wind but also up a slight hill at the end.  Good think we do hill work every single run!  The heat kind of got some of the girls and made their goals a little hard to hit, but overall they all did AWESOME and I can't wait to have our service project and celebration Monday.  We didn't get to have our normal stations that they could rotate to to have their hair done and pictures taken, but they all got handwritten notes from our sister sorority group that partners with GOTR and also tutus that were super cute.  I am so proud of my girls and pretty much cried when each one finished.  I am really going to miss this group so much, but we are only loosing a few of them to middle school and should see most back next fall.    


 

I am going to miss coaching with this lady, but lucky me, I get a whole rest of my life with coach Butler:)  It's been a challenging year for educators and coaches and we made the best of it and I can't thank all the teachers enough for what they have accomplished this year.  There were so many challenges put before them and they met them with grace and tenacity.  Our school system was SO lucky to be 100% in all year with very minimal breaks and I attribute that to the teachers and staff for their hard work.



Most of the weekend was spent hanging with these yahoos.  Andrew had baseball camp Saturday morning with the high school kiddos coaching the littles.  We then showered and headed over to eat BBQ and Moes and then to buy some plants to plant in our front flowerbed.  



He loves the picking them out part, not so much the planting part, but this year I dug the holes and he got them in and the roots buried.  He was a big helper.  I hope he inherits my mom's green thumb because I sure don't have one.  These perennials are super hardy and I haven't killed them yet, just have a super big bed that I need to add to every year so I don't go bankrupt buying that many at one time:)  Plus, I love helping out a local business like our local greenhouse that employees many of our are youth.





We also got some track time this weekend while everyone else was out of town racing in New Mexico.  We were going to sell the black and green car and decided to keep it and put a different motor in it.  She now has a 160 motor in her, which is one of the most competitive classes in quarter midgets.  It will be a long while before Andrew is ready to race 160, but we felt like now is a good time to start practicing it.  Tony forgot one little thing though, brakes.  Whoops.  Oh well, we got 2 good fast laps in before he realized he didn't have any and we had to quit.  


Have a great week y'all!  I am looking forward to getting some short runs in this week and having one last fun day with my girls doing their service project.  SUPER SUPER GIRL POWER!


No comments:

Post a Comment