Monday, April 12, 2021

2 weeks from the Flint Hill's 50 miler


 Since technically my one week of resting was up on Sunday, I cheated and took a short run on Sunday just to see where things were.  Long story short, things were not great. The tendon that runs down the inside of my shin felt like someone had took a jack hammer to it and I had aches and pains throughout my run.  Plus, just thinking about running any distance feeling like that just made me kind of want to throw up in my mouth a little, just being honest.  To run a 50 miler, not only does your body have to fire on ALL cylinders, but your heart has to be 1000 percent in it.   I decided to let the week play out and then make decisions. I also contacted the RD, who is a friend of mine, and kind of talked through some scenarios.  Since I already have a marathon buckle from this race, I really didn't want to drop down to the marathon, BUT since the 50 milers and the marathons have a slightly different course, if I did not drop down but quit after one loop, I would just get a DNF and nothing more.  He thought I could get it done, even if my second loop had way more walking in it than I wanted to do.  I hope he is right because I have decided to try the 50 with the knowledge that if anything flares up, I will drop and be happy with my decision.  


Andrew was out of school Monday, but we weren't closed for work.  I think I mentioned it before in a previous post, but Tony was awarded (due to contractor's points from one of our suppliers) an adult electric scooter.  It goes 20 mph and scares the hell out of me.  Andrew had previously loved it, but had not cranked it up all the way.  He has an electric scooter that he rides at the track along with a regular use your foot push scooter.  Anyway, he wanted to ride while I worked and I was fine with that.  He did not have his bike helmet at the shop, so we let him use his racing helmet.  Someone didn't anticipate the turn and took the corner on gravel going 20 mph and did a sliding split across said gravel.  He is okay, no gravel lodged itself in his leg thank goodness, but he has a healthy fear now of going too fast around corners and some beautiful road rash.  


Since we did not have Girls on the Run on Monday, I got my miles in on Tuesday with a slightly better run than Sunday.  Leg still wasn't happy, but less angry which I will take.  I am still listening to my body versus doing what is on my plan, so 4 miles felt good enough.  I took both dogs as Stella was begging to go with, and she was running like a champ.  Part of me kind of wants to let her do the 50 miler with me and or switch them out after each 25 mile loop.  Decisions, decisions.  


I also got back to lifting with taking it easy this week and rear squatting with just the bar and dead lifting just a set of 10 lb plates.  Thursday meant GOTR with the girls and a 35 minute run.  We had one girl who ran the ENTIRE TIME!  She was still a little short of 3 miles, but still amazing job.  Most girls are regularly getting 2 to 2.5 miles a session, so running a 5 K will be no problem!  Our 5K is live this year and I can't wait to cheer everyone on:)  I got about 2.3 miles in with the girls and post getting home and getting the dogs fed, headed out with Miss stella to do another 3 to get us to 5.  


I had to sneak in a toe update.  I am happy to say my toe does not hurt at all when I run, but boy does it look horrible.  After several times of popping and draining the blister underneath, the toe nail seems to be firmly in place and not painful at all, but a beautiful shade of purple.  Not sure if I am going to loose it again or what.


Saturday meant long run day and I had NO clue how far my body would let me go.  I planned on 8-10 and got in 10 miles without any major issues!!!  Boom did great and the weather was perfect and I am praying for this exact weather next weekend.  It was a mix of cloudy and sunny, with wind and a small chill in the air. The weather forecast has changed so much at this point for next Saturday that I have quit looking because it is what it is.  I have seen rain to cloudy to partly cloudy and temps from highs in the 60s to now highs 50s.  It is what it is.  


Sunday meant lifting and track day.  We had our second rookie session and the president and I used it as a day to work in the tower and make sure we are totally ready for this season.  You really don't realize what all goes on behind the scenes till you are the one behind the scenes.  We had previously thought we were going to have a small amount of rookies, but thanks to the hard work of our new rookie director, we have 15!!!!!!  Rookies are the lifeblood of a program and we are seeing so many tracks dying because there are no new rookies coming in.  Andrew practiced both cars and did really well with both.  I am so excited for the growth we are seeing.  Let's just hope that translates to bravery on the track this year.  

Have a great week y'all!




No comments:

Post a Comment