Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Prairie Spirit 50K: The Good, the Bad, and the downright UGLY

 I always have to give credit to Dr. Mel Newton for coming up with this blog format. I love using it becuase it really helps me to figure out what I need to do differently for my next races. Plus, it gives me a place to drop all of my Mile 90 photos.  Seriously, if you are looking at races and you are trying to figure out which one to do, if Mile 90 is at one and not the other, PICK the one that they will be at.  Even though I am technically still training for my 50 miler this week, my body wants rest and recovery so a week off is where it is at (and boring to write about LOL).



 Let's start with the GOOD:

For me the weather was the BEST and yes I can't control this, but dang it, shout out to the weather gods for blessing us with perfect weather.   I am not sure what the temp got up to, but maybe high 50s at the most with a nice wind that was in our face on the run back.  Normally I am not a fan of a headwind, but this kept us cool and refreshed.  Also the storm the night before had dropped lots of moisture on the trail and the ditches which made nice fresh puddles for the doggos.  Remember, stagnant not fresh water can be dangerous to a dog as it could contain lepto and or algae that can have dangerous toxins.  

Also good, my fueling.  While the brief appearance of the sun a few times made me a little queasy and the amount of sweet at times was a little hard to get down, I never got the point of feeling like I was going to puke and or my teeth never hurt from the Tailwind.  The uncrustable that I had at the turn around aid station hit the spot so much.  I will have to include those if and when I attempt another 50 miler (maybe in 2 weeks, EEEK).  

Also good, my training or lack of.  I was able to maintain a very steady pace for the majority of my run intervals.  I consistently (once we settled down) saw 11:15-11:30 on our run portion, even towards the end when most people were walking.  YES! I totally attribute that to lots of rest, a different training plan that allowed me to heal and rest while still running and lifting and regular chiro care (HUGE shout out to Dr. Kelli at Live Well chiropractic).  



Now the BAD:

Honestly, not much to report here.  As mentioned above, stomach stayed happy.  Did take a trip to the porta potty pre race, but that is expected.  Did also poop in a bush but hey, it happens.  Other than that, tummy was happy and receptive to any food I put in.  



And last the UGLY:

I once again am going to more than likely loose my big toe nail on my right foot.  While it didn't come off and cause lots of pain during the race, post race, I knew it was yet again not happy and I have since popped a blister under the nail that was full of yuck.  This means it wasn't the trail that probably caused this last time but my beloved Altra shoes.  Sigh.  Yet again, I may be on the hunt for new shoes. I was properly fitted for these, so I know they are the correct size.  URGH.  



I chaffed like a mofo.  I have been using dove deodorant under my bra in the front under the band, but really haven't had issues on the back, so totally forgot to lube the back.  I think the combo of my pack creating friction and my bra strap is what did me in and boy was my back a huge raw mess.  Oddly enough, no issues while I was showering even though I have horrible scabs now.  It's going to be so much fun putting a running bra on soon.  



I am so excited that this race was mostly good, dare I even say great.  Yes, when everyone else was walking I wanted to walk, but having Robin in front of me pushing forward and not wavering helped.  The run walk intervals helped me so much mentally because I can do ANYTHING for 4 minutes.  


There is one sadness I have and that is that this will be Stella's last ultra.  It was the perfect race to go out on top and while it wasn't the 50 miler I had hoped we would do, it still was a great race.  My doggy chiro asked why now and I said why not now.  She is still very sound, she still loves running and can still train with me and boom is ready to do the longer distances anyway.  I am going to miss her on super long runs and during races, but she will still run with me as long as she can/wants.  I always ask if she wants to go and here lately she has said "No Thanks" a few times and I will always honor that.  While I am a crying mess while I type this, I know it's the best thing for her as she turns 10 on May 4th of this year.  I love you Stella Ella so much and I love what you have given me all these years in ultras.  There are so many great trail runs that she can still do with me and we shall.  Till the next run baby girl.   



No comments:

Post a Comment