I know, I know, I'm two weeks behind!!! SO much has happened so let's dive in!
Both weeks had three workouts, an upper body workout, a lower body workout, and a push workout. In addition to lots of working out, I am also working in a lot (see what I did there). We are working out butts off but getting good data and that makes me very proud. Plus, several of overtimes hours per check never hurts.
We had our marching under first Friday night lights. Andrew was so very nervous with all the unknowns, but he powered through and got through a few sets in his first field show. Here are some pictures that various people got. The band doesn't travel so we will only have home games, but I will cherish each one. Beatles songs are the best!
Yes, he has to hold his music because his new trumpet doesn't have anywhere to stick a lyre. I did find a different way to attach his music so for the next game, he will be set. I still think it's weird that he doesn't have to have his music memorized by now but I guess they do things differently in this day and age. His marching was a little sketch, but he always figured out he was out of step quickly and corrected it quickly. Marching takes time and they practice so little compared to what we did in high school. In some ways it frustrates me but also, it allows not only football players but cheerleaders and dancers to be part of the band. I have to be at peace with the fact that their method is so widely different than the way we did field shows and competition.
Then we raced.
This is one of Andrew's old quarter midget buddies. We call them the Red Headed Racing club. One has grown significantly and one hasn't.
We had our first two-day show. We are still very much in the learning phase and figuring out how to do this as a team. He gets better every time he goes on the track, but he is also getting frustrated with lots of last place finishes. We are missing our marks and he's getting beat every weekend by kids much younger than him. We've talked about the fact that these kids have been on dirt for a few years, so they are light years ahead of him even though they are younger. The top three race every weekend, sometimes twice a weekend at different tracks. We have a long way to go before we get there BUT we will get there.




Night two was again a lot of learning. We had so many people helping us. That is what racing families do. They have kids who compete against us, yet they jump in, work on our cars, and help us learn. It's no fun to race against kiddos that have messed up cars so might as well have them all ready to go and let the race be against the best drivers.
Every night is more learning even if it's slow. There is improvement. His times get better, his starts get better, his confidence grows. This was the year for us to dip our toes in and we sure did. I am super proud of his 4th place finish in his heat of 6 on Saturday, but all of his runs were good. I am sure going to miss racing when this season is over. I know, I know, much different tune than the beginning of the year.
We did try renting an AIRBNB again and this time we have 10 of us all in one house. Never knew the town Scandia existed and it sure is super cute! It's kind of fun being a part of a HUGE family. We cooked, we drank, we laughed, and we stayed up way too late. This must have been a retirement home or something because each room had its own half bath and number. I am now very curious as to what it could have been at one time.
Okay going to do a part two because this is way too long already. See ya in another post :)
No comments:
Post a Comment