Monday, March 14, 2022

Week 7: Training for the 0 Mile Flint Hills 50K


This whole week was kind of screwy.  My board meeting that is normally on Wednesday nights changed to Tuesday, which meant my running also changed.  Plus, we had an action packed weekend that included a parade and rookie training in Topeka.  


I ran four times again this week, one speedwork sesh, one easy run in big snowdrifts, a long run of 14, and a shorter recovery run of 4.  Of course thanks to our weekend shenanigans, I had to scramble everything around.  


In retrospect, I should have waited till the snow stopped to get my magical snowy run, but I just couldn't wait.  Don't let this photo fool you, she was all about the snow and running with the mama.  She was full on Tigger mode the entire run and almost knocked me over so many times.  She is the snow queen.   I made this photo my FB profile photo.


I started out in town with my new ice spikes that I hadn't gotten to use yet.  Let's just say after half a mile of fighting slush, icy water, drifts, and ice, I gave up and came back home.  Got my hubby to drop me off on the gravel, took those damn ice spikes off, and got my run done.  Both Yaktracks and Icespikes really hurt my feet, so I guess I will just have to keep it old school and run in screwed shoes.  Was hoping to find a solution that was a bit better than killing a pair of shoes but for me, looks like that is my only option.  As I sit here and type this my feet still hurt from those ice spikes. 
 


I had to swap my long run days around because our TKQMA racing club was in the St. Patrick's day parade. This was our first time doing a parade with the club and boy was it fun.  I took like a million pictures of the kids in their green and the cars all decorated with their shamrocks.  We didn't get to see much of the rest of the parade as they moved our line out first but what we could see looked like a good parade full of a variety of floats, candy, and beads. We ran out of candy and would need much much more if we do it again and the weather is nice as the cold kept many away I feel.  


My long run was a little bit of a struggle but full of excitement.  We saw two eagles on our route and one went into the nest that we have observed for years.  I hope this means she is sitting on an egg and they will be hanging out for a while.  I met Robin already in progress and did 4 miles by myself as she headed home.  I was pretty hot the entire time and sweated pretty salty and really honestly needed water.  I think it's time to start wearing my vest again and carrying my tailwind.  


Post long run we had our first rookie training of the year.  The board usually likes to be present so the new parents get to meet us and can talk to us with any questions we might have.  We have several great families joining our club.  Post rookie training a few of us headed over to Happy Bassett where they have not only a tasting room, patio, and back patio but a freaking dog park!!!!!  How cool is that?  While my dogs aren't huge fans of dog parks per se, it was quite empty so Stella could just hang out under our table and enjoy.  We need to go back some time soon and try some more beers as they have so many good ones to try.  We had the strawberry blonde and the new Irish red.  



Have a great week y'all and Happy St. Patrick's day!  



















No comments:

Post a Comment