Sunday, January 13, 2019

1st Virtual Run Kansas Canicross Chapter


I honestly was not sure how many people would show up to our little event!  The weather has been a little nasty and I had no clue how the paved trail would be after thaw and re freeze.  We had originally planned for the Manhattan River Trail, but after hearing the weather reports,  I quickly changed location and day to possibly circumvent the brunt of the storm and the mess it brought.


Lucky for us, the roads were fine, but the paved trail was a little icy in spots.  Where people had walked the day before and made slush, ice had replaced that slush from the overnight freeze. 


We had four dog runners and two just plain old runners (who might bring their dogs next time:).  Most of us chose to run in the snow next to the trail to try and stay off of the ice.  Our faster runners went out first and then I brought up the rear as the caboose, which meant I could get some pictures of the runners as the completed the out and back.



Erik and June came by first and then our non dog runners along with Tara and Case.


After doing the out and back we proceeded to hit the other side of the trail.  The trail is called the Western Heritage Trail and is a very nice paved trail along the Rock Ford Fishing area that is fed by Tuttle Creek lake.  By doing the trail south to the bridge and back and then north to where it dumps into Tuttle Creek State Park, we had about 2.77 miles.  Since the group was ahead of me and I was not sure if they headed to the Eagle Pass Trail or stayed on pavement, I decided to try Eagle Pass Trail in hopes I could get more out and back photos.  


I love this little trail.  It's protected meaning it has a covering of wood chips and leaves that keep it from getting soggy.  Even today it was very runable with snowy sections here and there.  I found out later that the group went out on the trail and back on the pavement.  I went a little further and got some pavement and another short trail before heading back.  Here are some scenes from Tuttle Creek.








Fun was had by all and I am already getting excited for our next adventure!  I am hoping if the weather cooperates that we can all meet on some actual trails and introduce people to some new to them trails in our area.  



Happy Trails and Happy Tails!







2 comments:

  1. Awww I love this. Looks so fun despite the icy spots! Makes me want a dog that's able to handle more than a 1 mile run. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stella loves to run! I hope her little brother boom will love it as much as her. We are doing another trail marathon this spring together and then our first 50 miler!

      Delete