Friday, January 25, 2019

January Runfessions

Oh boy, first month of the new year!  Let's sit down with a nice craft beer in hand and get some runfessions out of the way mKay?  I am loving some local favorites like Snow and Tell from Boulevard right now!  Heavy dark beers are my winter go to:)

We decided to discontinue Andrew's tutoring at Sylvan.  I runfess, while we LOVED the progress he made during his time there, we were doing something every single night of the week and it was exhausting for all of us. Plus, he is getting extra attention at his school and I honestly wanted to eliminate one variable (outside tutoring) and see what might be causing him to be suddenly so much more successful.  We have noticed a HUGE difference in his attention at wrestling, so we were hoping it was spilling over to his classroom.  We got a wonderful progress report from his teacher about his quarter 2 progress, and she mentioned a HUGE amount of growth lately with his ability to really grasp his reading skills and his math skills.  He is still a little behind on a few things, BUT he is where he needs to be for a young 6 year old in 1st grade.  I will runfess I have not signed him up for any testing because I was dragging my feet and hoping that things would come around.  The school still admits he is having some focus issues but they are doing all the things to help him get better  in the class room including extra time and guidance on tests and having an aide work with him on tasks that require multiple steps.  We are not wanting to medicate at this time anyway so we are going to let the school help him at this point and see how this works for the next quarter.



I runfess that i am one proud momma!  I don't expect Andrew to win, but I do expect him to go out and try every single match.  If you remember in my December runfessions he had one his very first match and while still getting last place and out of the medals in his bracket, he tried hard in most of his matches.  Well, we decided to try another local tournament and low and behold he got 2 wins this time and tried SUPER hard even when the two losses were super good kids.  He came home with a 3rd place medal and the smile on his face stayed on there for quite some time.   I am over the moon proud of him and can't wait to see how this season goes for him.  Will we be state bound, HECK NO!, but I am proud he is trying even when he thinks he is out matched.  I do runfess that his next tournament was not as great with all three matches being losses and only one match being a really awesome match, but I am going to focus on the positives  In the one good match he did NOT let that kid pin him no matter how hard the kid tried and he defended against the half successfully numerous times.  I was working the tournament so I was not mat side and I am hoping that is what made the difference and we will bounce back at the next one.


And another runfession to clean up from December.  My baby Boom.  Brief synopsis, he was having multiple pee accidents in the house, bed, shop, you name it.  After taking him in and looking at his urine, the pH is better, but still not exactly what we want.  The crystals seemed to be gone, so got rid of that problem, but now we have bacteria.  Easy fix, antibiotics on board, accidents slowly going down.  We now have a new problem and it's behavioral for sure.  He is now challenging our older male dog and things have gotten kind of ugly lately. I never leave them unattended together, but now I am really having to keep an eye on them.  Deuce (my older pup) is neutered, but was neutered later in life, so not sure if that is in play as hormones I am sure are starting to surge through little Boom's body.  It seems to me that Boom is picking really stupid reasons to start fights and has twice started something in the middle of the night when they are not anywhere near each other, so they may be sleeping in crates for a while till we figure this one out. I am planning on neutering Boom, but hopefully at a later age, not any time soon.  I runfess that I am super glad that no blood has been spilled and that they are just noisy slobberfests but they still scare me half to death.


There you go, my january runfessions! Check out all of the other great bloggers spilling their beans at the link up!  I am linking up with Marcia's Healthy Slice to get those runfessions off of my chest! 


8 comments:

  1. Oooh yeah dog fights are scary. Hope your guys settle down. Great news on Andrew! That is awesome he is giving his matches his best effort. I'm sure his success is a huge confidence builder. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting! I am really enjoying being a part!

      Delete
  2. Doggie testosterone! Yikes!

    Your little wrestler is so cute! Glad that things are going well in school. I see a ton of kids with ADHD in my clinic and I swear that a good teacher makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we just got another email today. Sigh. I really am at the point where I wouldn't mind getting the testing done just so we know what we are dealing with. I guess this week has been really bad with regards to his daydreaming and not focusing :( BUT he has also been battling a cold and a few late nights. I do hate to make excuses though and I want his teacher to feel like I hear her concerns. Being a mom is SO hard some times!

      Delete
  3. Huge congrats to the wrestler!!!! That is great that he's enjoying himself and giving his all to the sport. Our dog, Max, wets in the house...not a lot, but still. YUCK. I think it's just an attitude thing and not health-related LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid we are never going to fix the morning issue. Our bedroom is upstairs and by the time he gets downstairs it's like he just can't hold it anymore and he goes. Yeah for hardwood but dang it, just a few more feet and you would have been out of the door!

      Delete
  4. Wow, what amazing progress for your little hguy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are so proud of him win or lose as long as he tries hard and he is! I never would have thought wrestling would be his thing!

      Delete