Friday, September 13, 2019

What I LOVE and HATE about training for a 50

I have had lots of thoughts running through my head from my 22 miler the other day and I thought I would write them down.  SO much good and bad about training for a 50 miler.  Here goes nothing.


1.  BAD.  Missing out.  Most nights I am in bed by 7:30-8:30 pm and out by 9 pm.  This works great during the week when I am getting my 7 year old to bed, but the weekends, it sucks.  Most weekends and well most week days I am up at 4 am to beat the heat and humidity.  Some times I have to be up at 3 am and I have to go to bed around 7-7:30 pm.  I have been missing A LOT and it sucks, not going to lie.  My kiddo and hubby have been going to lots of movies/practicing his race car at the track so I can get in bed early  They have been eating out without me, and just in general having lots of alone time, which is awesome, but makes me sad that I am not with them.   I try to always adjust my schedule so that I long run the day after or before his races so I don't miss those, but I am going to miss one of his races due to doing a marathon and I am just sad.

love adding back hill repeats and hilly courses!

2.  GOOD.  I feel SO strong right now.  I feel so in control and the ever increasing mileage is SO doable (this of course was written pre sickness).  I have never run more than 45 miles in a week and I just topped 55 and feel great.  Any little niggle thus far has been negated through stretching, self massage, massage by Trina, or rolling/the stick.  I feel so good this training cycle and other than two blips because of Andrew sharing his colds (edit now three blips LOL), I have had lots of great runs.

3.  BAD. I have gained weight again.  I am not religiously counting my intake, but I don't feel like I am eating more than I usually do.  This seems to happen every big training cycle.  I had someone say the other day, "you can't be fat, you run all of the time".  I wish this didn't happen to me every time I train, but I am sure the quality of my diet isn't what it should be.  I just don't have the gumption right now to shake things completely up like I probably need to.

4.  BAD.  I am not lifting and i should be.  I really miss going to Cross fit right now but the two mornings I have to get a couple of extra hours of sleep I use.  Even though everything is going on really well, I am fatigued a lot.  When I can get sleep by going to bed super early or sleeping in (and by sleeping in I mean 7 am because the dogs won't let me truly sleep in), I take it.  I had hoped I could lift over my lunch break with some guidance from my coach who graduated  and moved, but I have heard nothing from her in weeks.  Sigh.

5.  GOOD.  My run walk intervals of the bomb.com.  I can get through some pretty nasty weather knowing that i just have to make it for four minutes before I get a break.  The crazy thing is, my speed is the same or even a little bit faster than last year even adding in the walk breaks.  Weird right?  I've been reading over and over again, start your ultra the same speed you intend on running at mile 40, so I think the run walk intervals are going to be perfect!

Look at this swag, isn't it neat?  Wouldn't you say my collections complete?
6.  GOOD.  It's been fun to use races for long runs.  I am not fast so I don't "Race" them anyway.  Usually I do 10 miles before I have access to aid and now I can get aid every 3 or so miles.  Brilliant!  Plus, I get swag!  Who doesn't love swag????

7.  GOOD/BAD.  I am on week 14 and I just had to get new shoes and will probably have to get another pair before my race.  Yeah for all of the shoes:).  My shoe rack is looking pretty colorful and full at this point.  It's definitely time for some donations.

8. GOOD.  My local running store employees all know me by name and are keeping my tailwind and shoes in stock because they know I will be in every couple of weeks for something.


9.  GOOD.  Stella is tired all of the time.  Tired Stella equals good Stella and not naughty Stella. 

I am looking forward to the next few weeks of training and can't wait to peak and then TAPER TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment