Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Rossville Tournament

Okay so this is going to be long, and I am going to obsess about a few things, so feel free to skip this post if you want to :).  I like doing these so we can look back at where we came from and where we are headed.  Plus, I am one of those moms who likes to obsess about doing the right thing for my kiddo, so perfect storm :)


As many of you know or maybe you don't, Andrew has been wrestling for four years now.  I really don't count the first two for sure as he was too young and really had trouble focusing and learning.  The last two have been much better with this one seemingly to be going a little better than the last.  When we peak into the wrestling room he seems to be listening, following directions, and participating.  I am sure there are still moments of him acting like a crazy kiddo that we just don't see and that is still okay.  


So this is the year he moved up to 8U which is 7, 8, and even some 9 year olds. I knew this jump would be tough for him as most (not all) of the beginners would have sorted themselves out and most of the 8U kids would be serious kids.  Most, but not all of course.  I feel like Andrew is still very much a beginner, but since he has been doing tournaments for four years now, we rated him as average.



Anyway, I honestly had thought about not even entering him in any tournaments this year and just letting him practice, but then it was pointed out to me that there is so much learning during real live wrestling that it really is good to enter them in some tournaments.  We did Rossville last year and really liked the school, the set up, and the tournament, so we thought what the heck.  He had been practicing well and seemed to be ready.

His first match is below.  This kid was a good head taller than Andrew with a decent, not great record.  I felt like Andrew tried hard, defended as he could, and never gave up.  There was one time when the kid had him pinned and the ref was ready to slap the mat and then Andrew sprang back to life and kept fighting.  He came off of the mat super happy and so were we!  We just ask for hard work and try, winning is just a bonus that comes from hard work











I knew from track wrestling that his second match was a kiddo that had never wrestled.  His record was 0-0. I had hope that he and Andrew could have a good match.  While the match wasn't horrible, I saw many opportunities for Andrew to capitalize and strike back instead of just hold on his elbows.  He wasn't really listening to his coaches, it was like he was in survival mode and he was very evenly matched, so no need to be .  He does not have any aggression and even when you think he is mad, he just doesn't do what you think he would.  We were all kind of disappointed he didn't really try as hard as we know he could.  













The next match was not so good.  The kiddo was like 19-20 and a SOLID wrestler.  He sized Andrew up and then took him down quickly.  I do think it hurt and I do think it scared him how hard he hit so the tears were genuine.  




I am sure they have worked on defense against this move but maybe not.  He came off of the mat sobbing and holding his shoulder.  We told him it was okay and he said he wanted to be done and not wrestle anymore.  Well, he had one more match and a kid that I had not looked up previously, but had seen wrestle earlier.  Yikes is all I can say.



I feel like the kid was being nice by letting Andrew stay up as along as he did.  I feel like he could have taken Andrew down immediately.  I am proud of andrew for going out there and at least not running away or crying.  I know he was still hurting from the last match for sure.  I am also glad he got these last two guys after he got the guys he went three rounds with.  I hope this doesn't erode his confidence even more.  Sigh..  This child.  


Afterwards we ended on a good note and had ice cream on the way home.  Both boys went 0-4 but there were good parts to every match.  

Okay here comes the obsession /whiny part for me and you:)  If you want to stop reading now that is fine.  

I really don't know what to do.  Do we stop wrestling since he can't seem to find his aggression or do we just keep plugging along and risk him hating it because he always looses?  We watched his confidence start out high last year with some wins and then slowly erode the further we went along.  Do we just practice with no tournaments?  How do we get live wrestling practice without tournaments?  How much do you push a 7 year old?  I just don't know.  Everyone that i talk to has a had a kid like this or knows of a kid like this that finally got it, but I am not sure if he ever will "get" aggression, it's just not in his nature.  We have three tournaments planned and I think unless things change, we will stop post that.  He still loves going to practice and loves being with his teammates, so who knows.  Plus I like to focus on the positives even if they are tiny, but what if that is giving him a pass on not doing well overall?  Why do I feel like I am always one step away from completely screwing up my kiddo????  Okay I will stop with the obsessing now and just say that I hope that the next tournament finds him having a little bit more success. 

 Successes in my eyes this time:
Went  three full rounds with two of the kids
Defended against the half in two of the matches
Was about to get pinned and fought out of it instead of giving up
Was hurt and scared in third match but went back out and did another match with a tough opponent

Things we need to work on:
Aggression
Listening to coaches instructions
Believing in your self and your skill set
Remember the name of basic moves and remembering defense against these moves (remembered defense of half but forgot other things)

Things I need to work on:)

Keeping my mouth shut so he can hear coaches
Perspective.  He is 7.  Most of my friends who also have 7 year olds have very aggressive competitive children.  He is not them. I can't loose sight of that fact that his wins or his improvements may be tiny.  








No comments:

Post a Comment