Sunday, January 19, 2020

Week 7: Training for Flint Hill's 50

This is again not a typical week.  Still working towards no pain in the hammy and taking an unexpected trip to Tennessee.  It is what it is and I know it will be fine in the long run.


Monday:  Elliptical/ab strength.  I woke up to a text from my mom that said call me.  Since my mom isn't usually up at that time of the morning, I figured it wasn't good news.  My grandma, my stepdad's mom had passed away. She had battled Alzheimer with my step grand dad and then she herself succumbed and had just been moved to a nursing home.  My step dad and uncle had round the clock sitters to take care of her for years in the home, but the money to pay those sitters had run out and it was time for her to move to a nursing home where she would have round the clock medical care.  I am really glad she went peacefully and is now reunited with my step granddad Walter and step granddaddy Gabo.  This meant that I needed to travel ASAP to Tennessee to get to the funeral.

My Grandma Bettye and Grandfather Gabo

Tuesday:  Travel day.  I qued up a new podcast, filled my tahoe and drove till I had to stop for more gas.  I made good time and stayed  sane thanks to the new podcast The Man in the Window.  I highly recommend giving it a listen as it really nicely wraps up the Golden State Killer case.  My cold that I have been battling really seemed to flare up and I constantly had to roll the window down to get fresh air to try and keep my nose from stopping all the way up.  By the time I got to my house in TN, I was exhausted and honestly could have gone to bed then so no exercises got done at all.

Peppermint mocha goodness!

Wednesday:  My coach had elliptical 4:1 on the day, but we also had discussed a run so I headed out after some morning exercises for a quick 3 miler.  Of course my parents live in a very hilly pavement bound area but it is what it is.  I forgot how humid it can be even in the winter here, YIKES!  96% humidity meant I was sweating like a whore in church immediately.  My hammy was a little sore at first, but then quieted down and then just felt a little tight.  I did my strength post running including banded good mornings, sit ups, foot flexion exercises, and some bridge kick outs.  We also headed over to Humboldt again for some fun frufru coffee.

My cousin had this picture on FB of Grandma Bettye and I just loved it!

Thursday:  Funeral day.  We had penciled this in as a rest day since I would be doing family stuff and funeral stuff all day.  The funeral was pretty small, my grandma was after all 90 years old and had outlived most of her friends.  Later on we hung out with one of my step dad's Vietnam war army buddies and had a great time just talking. 

Hub City Brewery

Friday:
Run.  I decided to try one more run and did 4 miles on the concrete jungle of Jackson. I met another runner who works for my cousin and she is going to show me some routes when I come back in March.  She has done Chicago so I think we will get along just fine:)  We also went to Hub City Brewery to play some cornhole and try some new beers.  Some days I wish we could just move back to Jackson as I had yet another really fun and relaxing, although sad visit with my mom.


Saturday: Drive back.  I honestly didn't know if I would be able to get home.  Kansas had yet another ice storm Friday and it was moving down I-70.  There were also storms and rain for me to drive in plus howling winds in Kansas.  I decided to try and drive and just see how far I could get so I didn't miss Andrew's last tournament.  I made it back with two stops (why does it only take me one stop going down but two for gas coming back?


Sunday: Wrestling.  So three rest days this week but my hammy needs it. We had our home tournament all day and I volunteered in several positions.  Andrew ended on a good note with his last match being hard fought. 

Not the week I wanted, but the week I got.  I am so far off of schedule right now, but I am trying not to panic.  I can,  I will, just may not be totally trained the way I want.  I am proud of myself for doing 2-3 strength trainings this week and looking forward to being back on schedule so I can hit it hard.  Also getting some orthotics made for my leg length issues, so excited about that as well AND I should be able to get my shoes this week to start using those. 

No comments:

Post a Comment