Sunday, May 17, 2020

Week Two: Training for the Hawk 50

Week 2 and all is well!  Let's keep it that way!


Monday:  Rest day and Chiro day.  We worked on some new exercises and again tweaked some old ones. I have nerve pain/issues after doing kick stands and trunk rotations (hard to explain, need to load a video) so discussed that.  While it does flare the nerve, we are going to keep doing them as we are doing them right.  I hope we can figure out the why because the why is what drives me nuts.  We talked about doing some little mini work outs in sequence with several of my exercises and reducing the number per set, but increasing the sets (i currently do 10 per leg or side and call it good but do them throughout the day)


Tuesday:  4 miles.  It's so weird to only be doing 4 miles, but I am going to enjoy it while I can.  It was 40 degrees with 90% humidity.  Oh Kansas, you need to knock it off.  The humidity is totally killing our already slow walk run pace however, it does this every year, so it is what it is.

love my pretty columbine!  Planted some new this year so hoping it blooms different colors next year!

Wednesday:  Rest day for now....We kind of thought about running because Thursday's weather looked like all storms.  Then the wind kicked up and we were having huge wind gusts and it was dark and scary looking. We decided to take our rest day and take our chances.  I only got through half of my exercises since I thought we might run, whoops.


Thursday:  4 miles.  Tony had some work to do early in the am which meant we had to change our run time till later.  We had storms forecasted all day, but specifically for  our post run run time.  We headed out with lightning trackers and radar in hand. We heard some rumblings from the clouds and never saw any lightning until we were about 1 mile away from home. My tracker pinged once although I saw nothing on the map.


When I got home I looked at my tracker and saw this.  Uh tracker, you were suppose to be going off if lightning was this close!!!!!!I guess the one ping was all of the dots????  We got lucky as we were on the east and south side of the blue dot but still scary!!!!!

Friday:  Rest day.   Do lots of stuff at work day and be busy every single minute and not get your work out done.  Oh well.


Saturday:  Due to mud being the story for most all trails due to some late week rain, we decided to try a trail similar to our Linear trail yet in a totally different city.   The trail was a very nice crushed limestone trail that went all the way  into Nebraska if you wanted to go the full way.  We just needed 10, so 5 out and 5 back worked for today.   One of my running friends keyed me into this trail and it will be perfect for when the trails are shut down due to mud.  It's flat as a pancake, but very scenic and mostly shaded and very pretty.  We will be back for sure.  Note to self, carry plenty of water for the dogs.


There was also a nice coffee shop downtown that had one of the best mochas I have ever had. Their town is famous for black squirrels and like our Totos around town, they have statues of squirrels all over.  I love that they are wearing masks!



Sunday:  We were again on the hunt for new to us trails.  We decided to try a trail we had all heard about but never seen in Manhattan.  Manhattan has a small but very nice zoo named Sunset Zoo and we had heard there were trails around the outside that lead to Linear Trail, our local crushed flat limestone trail.  We had a map however it was a little hard to interpret.  Alltrails had nothing so we just picked what looked like a trail and took it, straight to a dead end or so it appeared.  We quickly headed back and thought hmmmm, even though this path doesn't look like a trail, maybe this is it? It was just a freshly mowed strip that lead to the trail head that quickly dumped into a rocky, steep, single track trail.  It must be used by mountain bikers because it had several features for bikes.  We also saw rebar sticking up in a couple of places that I would think would be horrible for bikes and runners.

I will be honest in that it is a interesting trail, but not very runnable and not fun for me strapped to a dog to complete.  I would like to take my kiddo back out there some time and hike for sure, minus dogs.  It was pretty and I loved hearing the animals at the zoo making noises.  I know we only saw a part of it too and I would love to check out more it.


We also had a bit of a scare when we got back to the cars.  The weather was very nice, low humidity and a comfortable 56 degrees. I had brought my hand held and had it full of ice and water.  Mel and Robin had theirs as well.  Stella was rearing to go and was not enjoying being the last dog.  Unfortunately I am not very adept on the trails, so we commonly get behind.  Stella was NOT happy with where we were and was pulling very hard.  I had to stop numerous times and give her water and try to get her to calm down.  It was like she was working herself into a frenzy.  When we got to our turn around at mile 3, she had drank most of my water in my hand held.  I started looking for places on our way back (the trail backs lots of local businesses) that might have a hose to fill up my bottle and hose her down.  She didn't feel hot though, it was weird.  She was just super duper worked up and the more we stopped, the worse she seemed to get.  Anyway, between Mel and Robin's handhelds we felt like the dogs had plenty of water.  We got back to the car and i had a large jug of water to fill up their bowls.  As i was filling up Stella and Boom's bowl, Stella started staggering and having trouble standing.  Mel grabbed her and quickly started dousing her with water.  Again, she didn't feel hot, so I am not sure it was a reaction to heat or just her frenzied state.  Mel just held her and massaged her and I kept giving her water to drink as needed.  I am so puzzled.  It wasn't hot or humid out, we had a very nice cool wind blowing.  She isn't heat acclimated yet, but she has never had trouble before getting heat acclimated.  She is 9 this year, so this may come with the territory from now on out.  I am going to cut her back to 3 runs a week while we acclimate for a while and may have to do either loops or stay closer to home where my hubby can come and get her if she has troubles again.  I think I will also start bringing ice and towels just in case we need to cool her down a little quicker.  You aren't suppose to use cold water as it is too shocking to the system, but it would be nice to be able to put the ice in the towels to put under her arms and in her belly region.  Again, she didn't seem overly hot just worked up, but I don't want this ever happen again, even if that means running by myself so she isn't trying to catch up to anyone :(


Have a great week everyone!  We have one more 4 day a week run before we ease into 5 days a week so pray my hammy can stay happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment