Sunday, May 24, 2020

Week Three: Training for the Hawk 50


Woke up to this announcement on our FB page for the race.  I thought I would post it here, unfortunately though, it is kinda hard to read.  Basically, they don't know what is going to happen and we will know when they know about the race.  I know both of the RDs and with any RD, the decision will be made with lots and lots of care and sleepless nights I am sure.  We have decided that even if they cancel the race itself, we will do some sort of virtual event out at Clinton Lake and our families will be our aid stations and crew (if allowed).  We are going to continue to train and hope for the best!



Monday:  Usually chiro day except Andrew's teacher decided to hold a zoom meeting with the class the last two days of school at the exact time of my appointment. I am fine with that as last week wasn't the best with regards to me getting my exercises done.  I am glad that we are hopefully done with the big benefits audit we were dealing with that we got randomly picked to be in (Lucky us insert eye roll). Normally, I would take a full rest day on Monday, but this is the last week of  running 4 days a week, so I am going to have to shift to working out Mondays and Fridays anyway.  I have been doing really, really good with my hammy/glute exercises however, not so well with my core stuff.  Bad me!!


Tuesday:  4 miles.  I debated on what to do.  Take stella or leave her?  Take boom too or leave her and just take him?  In the end I decided to take her by herself and let her stay off leash when we got to the gravel.  She is an amazing dog off leash and pretty much runs with us either right behind me or at Robin's side.  It was 100% humidity according to Robin's phone, so I was interested to see how she handled it.  She was fine HOWEVER she wasn't pulling.  I did make an appointment to get her belly and underside shaved and more grooming for her coat.  I try and get her brushed out once a week, but groomers are worth their weight in gold and can do such a better job than me.  Post IMPA and azathioprine and total coat loss, she has the THICKEST undercoat EVER!  She also had an adjustment and of course she is having the EXACT SAME ISSUE as me with regards to her psoas getting tight and pulling things down.  Sigh.  Why do we have to be so alike?????


Wednesday:  Last week of not running on Wednesdays. Going to enjoy it for now. Loving my new iphone 11!  Taking lots of portrait pics lately.  LOVE this one of my Stella ella and our pretty porch flowers. I usually don't spend money on annuals and prefer perennials,  but this year I couldn't resist the pretty colors.


Thursday:  4 miles.  While the temps were okay and the humidity was low, it felt super duper heavy out.  We got our four in with stella hanging behind me for a lot of the run.  I really hope we are not seeing exercise intolerance due to heat :(  I need my girl to train with me, however I have to do what is best for her in the long run.  Boom is ready to sub in at any moment, but I am not sure i am ready to give up on my girl.  I will be watching her like a hawk.

our new hobby.  Drinking a beer post work and watching our neighbors :)

Friday: Rehab exercise and rest day.  Fridays and Mondays will be my rest days from now on and my new rehab days.  I have to make myself do ALL of my exercises.  I have been keeping a spreadsheet to keep myself accountable.   On my non running days I do at least 4 of hammy/glute and 4 of core.  Please help me stay accountable!!!!




Saturday:  Long run day!  12 miles. It's funny how hard doing this distance is for me now.  I am sore and sluggish and cue the foreigner because it feels like the first time :)  Thanks to having not one, but two dogs with diarrhea and having to clean floors and butts when I got up, we didn't get gone till almost 7.  We started out with clouds that quickly burnt off, but the humidity wasn't horrible and there was tons of water on the road.  My running partner is much faster than me and I tried to not stay right with her and keep my long run pace that I like to hit.  I was still huffing and puffing but that is just me getting use to a) having gained about 10 lbs of new fluff, b) acclimating to a glimpse of summer running, and c) 1.5 beers the night before.  I am going to have to get into my nutrition mindset versus save all of the local businesses by buying growlers and cheese dip and eating out mindset.


Sunday:  Shorter long run day.  I was up at 3 am with a puking dog.  The vet had given us canned food to feed both diarrhea dogs and while Deuce LOVED his, Boom was not thrilled.  I mixed his with a little bit of kibble for his dinner and I am hoping the food just didn't agree with him and we are not dealing with a blockage.  Both dogs went accident free all night so I call that I WIN!  We woke up to temps in the low 70s and humidity in the mid 80s.  There was a breeze but we decided to reevaluate at every mile to see if we needed to turn around.  We had plenty of water for the dogs and there was still water on the road for them to get their feet and tummies wet.  It was beautiful out however, I feel like we are still going to have to get up even earlier very, very soon.  I am so #teamwinter over here. 


I should also add in to this week that Andrew finished school for the year.  He won an artist award and got a very nice collage of all of his classmates that his teacher made for them since they didn't get spring pictures taken.  His teacher also made them a collage of words that other teachers/kiddos said about them and his was shaped as a moped.  My favorite word about him is friendly because if anything, I hope my kiddo is kind, friendly, approachable, and inclusive.


Have a great week y'all!  Scared and nervous to get back to 5 days a week but hoping for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment