Sunday, December 20, 2020

Week 2 of 18: Training for the Flint Hill's 50 miler

Well, I can't believe it hasn't happened in the 8 + years of running with dogs, but this week it did. First a few pictures and then I will explain :)


Mom went back Monday and Andrew and I were super sad.  We have so much fun when she is here, especially me. I  love nothing more than a beer and a board game or card game or dominoes at night.  Mom always obliges.  That was always my favorite memory growing up, mom getting off work, us having dinner together at the kitchen table, and then no matter how tired she was we would play a game.  Ah, the good old days!  My boys will play every once in a while, but not often enough for me.  



My new moto.  Trying hard to live by this one.  I have real issues trying to be a people pleaser and have everyone like me. I need to stop. I can't control everyone else's emotions and feelings, and I need to let that go.  There are so many big things that I can't do right now because this very issue is holding me back.  



Got my strava year in review a tinsy bit early.  I think it must be pulling in biking miles to that total because I don't think I am over 1k yet for running.  Kind of weird that it comes before the year is even over don't ya think?  Still cool to see all the stats.  Even in a much less busy year training and racing wise, I have put in some good work and I am proud. 


We decided to break our weekly runs up into two 4 mile runs.  Since the weather was so nice during the week, we switched out one of our 4 mile runs for a 6 miler that was suppose to happen on Sunday.  Long story short, Friday night we have a Christmas party and Saturday we have a wrestling scrimmage, so I needed to switch for a shorter run on Saturday anyway.  We got our 4 on Tuesday issue free.  Then Thursday happened.  What a shitastic day from the start to the finish.  Lots of issues at work and I just wanted to run the stress off.  Was not even .1 into the run when Boom stopped dead in his tracks right in front of me to eat something on the road.  We have about half of a mile of pavement that we run on to get to the gravel.  Anyway, I guess I wasn't looking down and didn't see him stopped, hit him and somersaulted over him right onto the ground and my elbow and arm took the brunt of the fall.  I also hit my right hip, right knee and got road rash and bruises on my left leg as well.  Of course the dogs went nuts when I hit the ground, Stella started attacking Boom, boom was all about the food, and Robin's dogs were jumping in the mix to figure out what was going on.  Robin meanwhile was trying to dig me out of the pile of dogs and make sure I was okay.  I had a brief moment of severe nausea and adrenalin and had robin check me over to make sure I had no bones sticking out.  Nothing was sticking out and nothing was actively bleeding, so I let the adrenaline carry me on and we did our 6 miler with my arm glued to my side.  I found as long as I didn't bend it, I was okay.  Got home and took a hot shower and then got on ice and I think that really helped everything.  I was super sore the next day for sure, but super blessed that nothing was broken!



I did my long run on Sunday instead of Saturday due to Andrew having a wrestling "scrimmage".  We had originally planned on not doing any tournaments this year because a) all of them were canceling due to Covid b) my main goal this year was to see how he adjusted to the meds and just practice 3 days a week as he has moved up to advance wrestling this year for the whole year.  When I asked him if he wanted to go, he was all in, which honestly shocked me after the year before and his performance anxiety.  The goal was no giving up and we accomplished that.  Yes, he lost every match, but not once did he give up, not even when the kid tripped him, headlocked him, and choked him out.  Yes, he was nervous, and yes I feel like he could do so much more than he does, but our goal was met and I am leaving it at that.  He listened to his coach, he tried to do whatever was asked of him, and he stepped up to the Heavy weight division and wrestled some truly BIG kids.  



I ran post wrestling.  The weather was amazingly nice and I was tempted to get all 10 in but I was super sore and stiff, so got my 4 and called it good.  


George and Gracie were back out on our running route on separate poles this time.  We got 10 miles in and the weather was perfect.  I honestly wish winter would just stay like this.  It hasn't been super cold or super windy on our runs yet, and I am loving it.  I wouldn't mind a couple of snows but make it count!



So here is what we did this week:

M: Rest
Tues: 4
Wed: Rest
Thur: 6
Fri: Rest
Sat: 4
Sun: 10

We were suppose to again do two, 2 mile runs but I combined them to one 4 mile.  Here is what we wer suppose to do.

Mon: Rest
Tues: 2
Wed: 2
Thur: 4
Fri: Rest
Sat: 10
Sun: 6

We got our 24 miles in even if it was re arranged.  We have more week of 4 runs a week before we transition to 5 runs a week.  Have a great week y'all and a Merry Christmas from the Red Aussie Crew and Running with Reds!









 

No comments:

Post a Comment