Sunday, June 13, 2021

Quarantine Week 1


First let me start out with an Andrew/Covid update.  We got the lab call Sunday night that Andrew was positive for Covid.  I immediately texted anyone we were around/near the last 48 hours which luckily was mostly my own vaccinated family as my mother in law is here. We also notified boys and girls club since Tuesday through Thursday was his all day gig.  We were told by the lab that we would be notified of all things quarantine Monday morning via the health department or KDHE.   



Monday rolled around and nothing.  No phone calls, no advice, nothing from Boys and Girls club. I was getting very concerned, as I wanted to know all of the details since the "rules" have changed as this pandemic has progressed.  By Monday afternoon I was getting supremely concerned.  His lab results finally rolled into his online portal chart, but no emails out about Boys and Girls club having a positive or anything.  I finally just called both our health department as well as the KDHE Covid hotline and neither could help me because technically my son was not in the system yet.  Huh????  He has freaking Covid!!!!! While we are twiddling our thumbs exposed people are circulating amongst each other unknowingly.  Monday night after 9 pm I got a text from a gentleman from Boys and Girls club asking me some questions.  When I told him I had alerted the director at the Wamego site on Sunday night he became a bit upset.  An email quickly went out to the membership that a Covid positive patient was at their location.  A least it was something.  I had already alerted those I thought would be close to Andrew anyway but still.  


Tuesday I got a run in and also started getting calls from the Covid tracers.  KDHE called as well as our local health department.  Andrew was to be quarantined for 10 days and then my quarantine would start afterwards.  Sigh. I figured they wouldn't honor my 2 vaccines since I was only 1 week post the second shot but I mean really, how much more immunity am I going to gain in the 2nd week post the shot versus the first week?  I am a rule follower so I am stuck in the house and in my car till June 24th.  I will miss yet another race, but Andrew and Tony can go. I did find a statement that I could get tested 7 days post exposure and if negative could forgo quarantining past Andrew's quarantine period, but our health department does not honor it, even though it is a KDHE policy.  I do not envy their job, but I do see why people just don't get tested or don't follow their protocols.   Andrew's grandma, Uncle Cayce, and Tony all can forgo quarantine because they are more than 2 weeks post their second shot. I guess an invisible forcefield goes around them and they can't transmit or transfer the virus?  Sigh. I don't think that is how it works, but at least that means my hubby can get supplies we need to be in lock down.  Andrew's grandma made him a chocolate cake and some frosting and helped him turn one of his drawings into a cake.  He did all the artwork on the cake and now wants to be a cake maker when he grows up. I could live with that!


Andrew spent most of the week with an once daily fever spike that would start at 99.3 and spike at 100 to 101 at the most.  Enough to be annoying basically.  He had a little bit of head congestion that drained down his throat and a little wet cough more to clear his throat than anything.  We used children's Advil if he was uncomfortable and Mucinex for kids to loosen that mucus.  Most days he felt fine and it was hard to keep him still and quiet to rest.  Wednesday threw us a curveball in that Stella refused to eat for a day and a half and just acted puny.  I got her an appointment to go see our vet first thing Thursday morning and of course that morning she was much better and has continued to improve through out the week.  Of course relapse is ALWAYS in the back of my mind, so any little blip really freaks me out.  She had walked stiffly the first day and had favored but not limped on one of the legs that originally caused her issues and my mind is already in a bad place with all of the drama in my life and then Andrew being sick and others possibly exposed.  



I did get some running done and was symptom free most of the week.  Heck I love working from home and not getting out of my pjs except to run.  I did one zoom meeting and just put my polo shirt on top and kept my sleep shorts on bottom lol!  I am a homebody anyway and other than missing my favorite local beer tap rooms and the occasional eating out, I was kind of not mad at all about being in quarantine.   Summer running is definitely here and when the humidity isn't high, I can handle it.  I had a few later in the morning runs that went well thanks to low humidity.  


Andrew's birthday day was made special by many porch drops the night before, videos, lots of lego sets, video games from Uncle Cayce, and cupcakes from a class mate and his homemade cake.  


Andrew loved his sign and I love that she is local and could get some business out of our sign being posted in a great location for visibility.

  


Boom also enjoyed his sign since technically his birthday was Friday.  Happy 3rd Barkday Boom!  We have been heat acclimating this week and he is doing really well.  Both he and I have become quite fluffy so we both need to get some weight off.  I know why I have, but not sure why he has.  


Andrew kept getting little goodies both Friday night and all day Saturday.  I can't think my friends enough for making his day so special.  Our day however was not.  


Let me back up a bit.  Wednesday night Tony started coughing and sniffling but we were vaccinated so we attributed it to the fact that we have been doing lots of yard work lately.  Friday I noticed Tony really did not look well and upon taking his temp, he had a very low grade fever, but still a fever.  Saturday morning when we woke up, we both felt bad, like we both had bad colds.  Tony was still running a fever but I just had head congestion.  Since Tony's mom is visiting and she had both of her shots a long time ago, we had her come over and we headed to town to the local walk in clinic.  We sat in a parking lot in car idling with the AC on for over 2.5 hours waiting for our time to go in.  We were there from 11:30 till almost 4.  Our rapid tests came back positive, so we had to give another sample for the lab test and also for type and sequencing.  We were not the only ones that had had Moderna in our area and had gotten sick so our health department is on it.  We will more than likely be in quarantine till June 19 or 20th for Tony and for me maybe a little later since my symptoms didn't appear till Friday.  I still do NOT regret getting our vaccinations and hope every  will continue getting theirs.  Our cases are much milder than Andrew's case, and much milder than if we had not been vaccinated.  


It wasn't the week we wanted or had planned on but we made the most of it.  We did our first online grocery pick up which may be the way we do this forever and ever moving forward.  We survived the dreaded Covid swab and lived to tell.  We ran our business from our house once again and it worked, so that is a comfort since we will be doing so another week.  I also was able to get three runs in not getting out very early in the morning and didn't die.  We shall see how the coming week treats us.  Please keep us in your prayers if you are the praying type or send healing vibes and energy our way.  

Have a great week y'all!












No comments:

Post a Comment