Monday, August 2, 2021

Week 3 of 12: Training for the Hell Creek 20 miler

 How about a week of 100 degree temperatures and oppressive humidity?  Yes please (NONONONO)!

What I was suppose to do:

Monday:  Rest 

Tuesday: 4 miles

Wednesday: 4 miles

Thursday: Cross Train

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 7 miles

Sunday: 3 miles



Monday:  Rest/Strength.  As always, kept it super simple but added another exercise to my list.  I did front squats and dead lifts with 15 lb plates, side planks for 30 seconds, on the wall push ups since I am starting from scratch with those, and walking lunges with a 10 lb plate overhead.  I was dripping with sweat post those simple exercises, 4 rounds of 10 each or 30 second holds.  



Tuesday:  4 mile run.  Even at 6 am it was horribly humid, around 96%. I had hoped the whole start right around sun rise would help us but it really didn't.  It was a tough call whether or not to take the dogs as it was right on the line as far as the dewpoint at 69.  I think all of our dogs have been driving us NUTS not getting to run so we went with the idea that we would call Robin's hubby or turn around and go home if needed.  



Wednesday:
  Total rest day.



Thursday:
  4 easy miles.  In the horrible heat and humidity.  Which is not easy ever.  Left at 6 am as it was suppose to be the coolest it was going to be all day and by coolest I mean 76 and 81% humidity that felt like 100% humidity.  My running partner and I both got sick to our stomachs and i had to visit a ditch and she had to stop and do some deep breathing to keep from throwing up.  We didn't take the dogs at all since it was so horrible out and I am so glad we made that decision.  


Friday:  Rest/Strength training.  I kept it simple again with front squats (10lbs plates), 30 second regular planks, deads (20 lb plates), incline push ups, and some kettle bell swings. I  do need heavier kettle bells and plan on ordering some soon as a reward for sticking with my lifting :)  

 



Saturday:  Rest day/Day trip.  I had 3 miles on tap and Robin and I had planned on getting up super early to head out and beat the sun.  The heat was unbearable, even at 5 something it was feels like 88.  I told Robin that we should just tack the 3 miles on the long run and do 10 and she agreed.  The heat was suppose to break Sunday and be a little more manageable.  We had bought tickets to the Cosmosphere in Hutch including the simulator, the planetarium, Dr. Goddard's lab, and  the IMAX dome theater.  We got on the road and headed that way for a fun filled and even ran into one of our track families.  My favorite part was the planetarium followed by the science lab because I am a science and star nerd.  Andrew loved building paper rockets and launching them to the moon, and Tony loved the flight simulator (which made my stomach do flips).  Andrew didn't spend much time reading exhibits which is also a favorite part for me, but did slow down and look at a few cool things.  



We had planned on stopping and having pizza on our way home and also some yummy beers at a local brewery.  We stopped at the brewery first and had a few tasty brews and marveled at the beauty of the old building they had re modeled.  Salt City Brewery was the name and it was in down town Hutch.  They even had a brewery dog!!!!!!  I think Stella missed her calling!



While the brewery was a big hit, both pizza places were a bust :(  One was in a tiny town and did not look like a nice place to eat and the other we waited for over an hour and finally got our pizzas as we were leaving.  I was so tired I was fighting sleep and told Tony just to pay our tab and tell them to donate our pizzas to someone who needed them.  I had one slice in the car and it was NOT good and NOT worth the over an hour wait.  Sigh.  I had indigestion the rest of the night from that one piece.



Sunday:  10 mile (7+3)  I was up all night with indigestion and also being slightly hungry since I didn't really eat dinner.  When my alarm went off at 5 am I knew I needed more sleep.  Robin and i were going to be splitting up runs as she had plans and needed to start super early.  I was going to try and get some with her, but without sleep I knew that was not going to make me very successful.  I told her to get what she wanted and I would go out later.  I knew I would be gambling, the temp was going to be manageable but I was hoping if I went out later I could battle the sun and NOT the humidity.  I was sort of right, the humidity had dropped when the sun came up BUT it was quickly getting hot.  I brought Boom but around mile 4 I went ahead and called Tony to come and pick him up just in case.  I did the rest solo other than a crop duster that kept coming back to the air port to refuel.  Post running we headed out to the track to get some practice in before next week's two day show.  We FINALLY saw the numbers we knew he was capable of on the micron for lap times AND we know he can go even faster as the track was a little cooler.  SO exciting to finally walk away from practice with big smiles instead of frustration.

What I got done this week:

Monday: Rest and strength

Tuesday: 4 miles

Wednesday:  Rest day

Thursday: 4 miles

Friday: rest and strength

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: 10 miles


Have a great week y'all!  Football starts this week (big gulp) and we have a saturday/sunday race.  Pray for me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment