Monday, August 23, 2021

Week 6 of 12: Training for the Hell Creek 20 miler

Welcome to back to school week and basically the week of ALL of the meetings.  I am trying not to stress between work, training, my kiddo's schedule, and our business networking group obligations but it's hard.  Some things may have to be let go this week and I just not going to stress over it.



Monday: Rest day

Tuesday: 5 miles

Wednesday: 3-4 miles speed work

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Cross train

Saturday: 11 miles

Sunday: 3



Monday:  Rest day.  First day of pads in practice.  While getting ready he smiled the entire time.  Post practice he was pretty upset.  It was tough, they did lots of tackling, and lots of plays.  He was exhausted and not in the mood to talk and I had questions, so momma learned a new thing, shut up post practice and just let him be.  I did not get my Monday lifting done.  I was still pretty exhausted from the weekend and chose to try and get some rest versus pushing myself (plus I wanted to see my kid's first pads practice).  



Tuesday:  5 miles.  Boy did I NOT want to get up for this one.  I needed to be back home by 6:30 am to allow hubby to get to work early, which meant a 5 am wake up call.  I did see Orion in the sky and that was a welcome sight because that means fall and winter are coming.  .

 


Wednesday/Thursday:  Lumping these two together.  Lack of sleep, a board meeting and a club meeting, an exponential increase in stress, and life just got in the way.  I now know 100% I do NOT need to train for a fall race next year if we are going to race and play football.   First day of school on Wednesday meant I missed it thanks to my business networking group and a strict attendance policy.  Luckily I got pictures the night before at Back to school night and Tony snapped one quick one before they headed out early Wednesday morning.  He looks so grown up lately, sniff sniff.  

  


Friday:  3 miles speedwork?  I kind of laughed at speedwork on the schedule.  It needs to be done just like hill work, but with the heat and humidity still being very oppressive, just surviving the run is the most important thing to me at this point.  We headed out sans dogs to 73 degrees and 96 humidity and were swimming in the air immediately.  



Saturday:  3 miles before Need for Speed.  I had an all day fundraiser at the track, but needed to get a quick run in before being gone all day.  It was cooler, but the dang humidity was so high that it made comfortable temperatures uncomfortable.  I brought Boom because lower temps and lots of water on the road made it a little safer.  Post running I cleaned up and headed to the track.  We tried a new thing this year, an online sign up versus everyone showing up and signing up and waiting around.  I was worried we would still have a lot of people show up and want to sign up even though they didn't sign up.  I am SO happy to say we had 61 sets of kiddos drive around the track with a few being repeat trips.  I heard little to no complaining and saw lots of smiles and happy kiddos.  It filled my heart full and made me come back to this is the reason why I love this sport.


Sunday: Slept till almost 7 since temps were suppose to dip and be nice.  Humidity as always was super high which negated the nice temps.  As I have said a million times, I hate summer running.  I chaffed EVERYWHERE even though I had lube on, go figure.  We stopped a lot to let the dogs play in puddles.  Rockin Robin's dog Kitty laid in a puddle at one point and she has never done that on a run, so we decided to call her hubby and get him to come pick her up.  Robin ended up ending her run at 8 miles and I super struggled after I passed my house at 10.3 to keep going to get 11.  It's so hard for me some time because I think back and two years ago when I was prepping for my 50 miler, a 10 miler was a daily run and the weekend runs were anywhere from 22-30 miles.  Sigh.  In some ways I really miss that endurance and in other ways I really don't miss the time commitment at all.  Honestly right now, even thinking about planning and training for a spring race makes me slightly nauseous.  



The above picture was taken in Wamego as storms rolled in to town Friday night.  The photographer was a storm spotter and I seriously would love to print this and frame it.  It's so Kansas!


So me this week.  Here is what I actually got done.

Monday: Rest day

Tuesday: 5 miles/Board Meeting

Wednesday: Rest/Club Meeting

Thursday: Rest

Friday: 3-4 miles speed work

Saturday: 3 miles

Sunday: 11 miles


After this week I am really going to start tweaking this plan.  Since our run is only 20 miles and this plan is for a 50K, I will be reducing the weekly long runs since the during the week runs stay pretty low.  Of course I just bought some pumpkin spiced coffee and we are suppose to have 100 degree pluus days.  Sigh.  Have a great week y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment