Monday, August 30, 2021

Week 7 of 12: Training for the Hell Creek 20 miler

Welcome to another week of hellish heat. If it isn't horrible outside, it's certainly horrible inside where I work in the shop.  I think sitting here all day in the heat is frying my brain and my will power to do anything.  This is the week where I am really going to deviate from what is planned since we are only doing 20 miles instead of a 50K. I am also going to start giving ranges on runs since we are having a heat wave again and I am just over it with the chaffing and the dripping of sweat just standing around.


Football buddies

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 6

Wednesday: 3 or 4 speed work

Thursday:  Rest

Friday:  Cross train

Saturday: 14 miles

Sunday: 4 miles  


First football jersey

Monday:  Rest day.  Ah glorious rest day.  Only 106 on Monday.  Dare I say coolish?


Bloody mess

Tuesday:  Rest day/Strength.  Yep, got up at 5 am and it was feels like 82. I said a big nope, apologized to my running partner, and went back to bed for another hour and a half. I am done with this summer. I am done pushing myself to do things I really don't want to do which is run in the heat.  Plus my chaffing was so painful that I couldn't even imagine being soaked in sweat and having any more issues with it.  I did try to lift with many many band aids on my chaffing.  It was still pretty painful.  I did dead lifts (25lbs), kettle bell swings (25/10 lbs), rear squats (20 lbs) and 30 second planks.  I did 4 sets of each of these exercises and was dripping in sweat by the end even with the fan blowing on me on high. 

 

Go ginger racer!

Wednesday:  Rest day.  This is my normal rest day due to meetings.  I did do a presentation in my business networking group and boy do I love talking in front of people.  


Pretty girl!

Thursday:  3 miles (no speed).  I was actually well rested and ready to get up.  Feels like 78?  Sure why not.  We chose the 3 miler since we were both swimming in the air and having trouble breathing.  I had a brief thought about doing some extra miles once I dropped Robin off, but the call of hot coffee (I know I am weird) and a cool house won out.  I had used over side band aids to try and cover the chaffing and while they did work to a degree, my body did not like the band aid portion and had mounted an angry red defense against them.  Now I have not only chaffing but the outline of three giant band aids.  Sigh.  


New haircut.  This kid has SO much hair!

Friday:  4 miles.  I was wide awake at 4 am so around 4:50 am, I finally just got up and got dressed.  Rockin Robin couldn't run, so I decided to just run laps in the hood.  I got 4 laps around our block before I had to make a potty stop (kind of convenient being so close to home for that).  Got back out and it was 82 degrees, which meant I was pouring sweat.  Normally i would battle through but my chaffing under my bra was on fire and hurting. I had tried putting light day maxi pads under my bra and in my bra to try and keep the rubbing from happening, plus I put lube on as well.  I know you aren't suppose to put over broken skin, but i had hoped I had enough scabbing there to protect it.  


Cheesing on my bike

Saturday:  10 miles on the bike.  Once again it was a scorcher and while my chafing was starting to heal, I just didn't want to chance re opening all of it and starting over again.  I grabbed my trusty bike and we did 10 miles on the gravel with 14 mph SSW winds for resistance.  The rest of the day was spent at the track working on Andrew's Jr Animal car.  We are moving him up to the senior classes for the rest of the year which means different restrictor plates in the animal car and no restrictor plate in the Honda car.  While he has driven his Honda car without a plate, he has not drive his animal car without a plate and that is a whole different, well, "animal".  We first took him on Friday night and he was scared, understandably so.  We assured him that going from a 6.6 as his fastest time to a 6.2 wasn't a huge jump.  He didn't believe us and drove pretty slow.  We finally got him down to a 6.8 and ended on a good note.  When we went back Sunday, we set a goal to get as close to a 6.2 as possible and he finally got it down to a 6.48!!!!!! We have one more weekend to practice and I am sure he will get it!  



Sunday:  10 miles on my bike.  Woke up to cloudy and rainy with storms headed our way. I figured I could get 10 miles before anything hit and again maybe avoid chaffing.  I needed some brain clearing time anyway and while running is nice for that, biking is the supreme way for me to clear my head.  


All THE THINGS

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Rest/Strength

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday:  3 miles

Friday: 4 miles

Saturday: 10 miles biking

Sunday: 10 miles biking

Have a great week y'all. I was hoping for cooler temps but the weather forecast keeps changing day to day as to what we might get.  I am hoping with some new anti chaffing strategies and a new bra that maybe we can get this under control and I won't miss anymore runs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment