Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Race Week! Sanders Saunter 10k


Instead of a weekly recap of my non existent running thanks to meetings almost every night this past week, I bring to you a race recap. 


What, another race?  Yes, another race.  I am all about racing to help with accountability even if I am not technically racing.  Racing to me for the last few years has been about having fun, learning, and trying new things, not about a time or a PR.  I love not having to do the work it takes to constantly be chasing a PR.  I love to just run and not worry about the numbers on my watch.  I love not worrying about hitting specific marks in my weekly running. I have enough stress in my life to add time goals.  Anyway, I had decided to sign up for a local trail race and see how things went.  I was on a wait list initially,  but almost a day later, I was moved to the actual list of runners.  Stella and I have run this race before as a 25K in 2018, but I was NOT in 25K on technical trail shape this time so opted for the 10K instead.  


Picture from 2018 from Mile 90 photos

It was super cold the first year we did it.  We were blessed with perfect running temps this year and I will take either since I am #teamwinter here.  I know these trails well, even though they regularly kick my ass. I have run many races out at Clinton Lake and have enjoyed the challenge of each one.


For the 10 K we were to head out up sanders mound, come back down, travel on white to Lake Henry, and then come back on the sort of gentler blue before we head back up Sanders.  It's a little more than a 6.2 but that is okay, trail math is a little different than road math.  Packet pick up was the morning of with three distances heading out, a 50K first, then the 25K, and lastly the 10K.  I should mention this is a charity race that raises funds for a charity that is voted on each year by the trail hawks.  This year the charity was ICT SOS, an organization that is trying to put a stop to human trafficking and also to educate about human trafficking.  I gave an extra donation with my entry fee for some good trail juju.  

Waiting in the car after picking up our goodies

I was really debating on which dog should go.  I felt like Stella could handle it, even if it was only a 10K, but it would probably take me 2 hours to complete.  I also would have loved to get Boom on single track technical trail, but maybe not in a race setting where he is all keyed up.  Towards the end of the week, someone (ehem solid red dogs) got the bag of cat food out of the laundry room and started chowing down.  I am not sure how much was consumed as the bag as almost empty anyway, but by the farts I was smelling it was a group effort between Boom and Stella.  Stella has pretty much an iron gut, so no matter what she eats, not much comes back out ,but Boom was a literally a diarrhea fountain.  Easy decision then, I didn't want to have to bury diarrhea on the trail or carry it.  Stella was very happy to go and to see her friends.  We got our packets easily and headed back to the car to stay warm. It wasn't very cold in Wamego, so I had chosen a long sleeved tech T and my new running vest from Brooks with my mizuno tights.  I didn't bring my hydration vest since my new running vest has such huge pockets and I didn't bring my gloves. I kept telling myself while it was much colder there on the lake, I would warm up quickly (and boy did I ever).  

Love this race T!  It's super soft and it has a cuff at the bottom that gives it some shape

We got the most awesome shirt that is a t shirt material, but it's a hoody and it even has a cuff at the bottom which I dearly love.  The last year I did the race they had long sleeved t shirts that were made of the softest material I have ever felt.  


It wasn't long before we were lining up to start.  Each distance had it's own start time and the numbers were limited for each, making it a nice manageable number of runners on the single track.  I honestly am thinking about doing this race as my fall race next year and attempting the 50K IF I can manage the cut offs.  That would put my longer long runs more into the fall and less into the heat of the summer, which was what I think made me successful at my 50 miler last year.  


Anyway, it wasn't long till the horn went off and we were headed out.  There were several dog runners there this year, which was a treat because it use to be only Cindy and I at most of the races.  Of course Stella was the comic relief barking and pulling and acting like a nut.  


We dropped onto white and then headed up Sanders Mound.  Of course the trail isn't very wide at spots going out and coming back down, so while Stella really doesn't care about other dogs on trail runs, she was intrigued by dogs running right at us and several times I just had to stop and hold her close to let them get by.  After going up and coming back down, we settled on white.  I don't have many pictures on white because if you are looking up, you are going down thanks to the rocks and roots.  


Right away Lindsey and I settled in together. She is much better at running on rocks and roots, so we tucked in behind her and let her lead.  It was perfect temps even if I was a tad bit over dressed. Let's just say that the running vest is very very good and holding in warmth.  We visited one aid station at Lake Henry where we took in some coke and Stella got some clean fresh water in her bowl.  There were several places on the trail that there was running water she could drink and partake in.


Since we were running/talking/power walking, the hours flew by.  Before we knew it, we were going back out to Sander's Mound.  


We tried to pick off a few of the people ahead of us but neither of us was in true "Racing" form so we decided our goal should be to run in under 2 hours.  


Of course Stella had to take another poop break which ate some of our time and made me have to run with a poop bag in my hand.  Silly stella.  


Honestly, she did amazing the whole race.  At times she was ahead pulling, but most of the time she tucked in and stayed behind me.  



Before we knew it we were coming out of the woods and heading towards the finish.  She heard cowbells and cheers and started pulling like crazy.  I found a garbage can to put the poop bag in before I headed to the start finish arch.  Can't have finish line photos with poop in your hand!


Stella has literally grown up in Mile 90s lens.  They were at her first trail race and have documented her races over the years.  While I keep saying this is her last race, she is not ready to stop.  I do feel like long distances are not great for her, but I think shorter distances will work, especially on trail.   She is going to continue to train with me, mostly shorter distances and no long runs of more than 10 miles for sure.  She has perked up now that the temps have dipped and I will let her run at least 3 times a week.  I love this race for so many reasons and will gladly do it again next year.  The later in the fall date avoids football and racing and a 10K is something I can do slightly undertrained.  Will have to think on the 50K more as I don't know if I could avoid the cutoff of first loop under 4.5 hours (a loop is a 25k).  Plus, I am not wanting to do any major training during football/racing so we shall see.  

As always onwards and upwards!  See y'all next week!



















No comments:

Post a Comment