Tuesday, December 14, 2021

2021 Racing with Stella and Boom: Straight from the Dog's mouth

 Hey Y'all!  Stella ella here, the one and only.  I don't have to remind everyone what a bummer 2020 was.  We had no live races and both of our 50 milers were canceled.  2021 was a little better as we tried again for our last 50 mile buckle, as well as helped Robin and Kitty complete their first marathon AND ultra.  



First race up was the Prairie Spirit Trail 50k.  Mom did this race without me once before (the nerve) and I did part of this race course pacing mommy's friend Jackie for her 100 miler.  It's flat and sort of shaded and we had the best weather ever!  My friend Kitty kind of lost her brain for a while over all of the squirrels, but she settled down and we got er done!  Don't we just look amazing in our pictures?



Our second big race was our A race (A for apple race or what???).  This race was suppose to be our last 50 miler and our chance to get that belt buckle mom says she needs.   Whatevs mom, you don't even own a belt so why do you need a belt buckle?  I digress.  Mom was kind of worried about me and doing this distance, as I turned 10 a few days later, so she brought my stinky little brother Boom just in case.  I did something weird and wasn't running with my usual joy, so mom subbed me out at mile 19.  Let me tell you, I was NOT pleased about the situation, but I did get lots of treats for pulling mom those 19 miles and I got to take a trip to Manhattan to get mom roses.  Boom got to finish the second part of the race with mom, so I will let him take over the blog from here.



Hi I'm BOOM!  I like to run and talk and play and run and run and run.  I am non stop go.  Mom says I have ADHD whatever that is and I have trouble focusing but heck, I am a boy dog and I won't mature for at least 2 ish more years!  I was SO excited when mom decided to let me come to her race.  Even though I am not the greatest at being a running dog like my sis/aunt Stella, I really try.  Mom was pretty tired and sore by the time she picked me up around mile 19, but I was ready to GO!  Mom kept telling me to calm down and knock it off, but I had NO clue what that meant.  Mom finally started walking a bunch and I tried to pull her to keep her running, but she said her foot really, really hurt and she didn't know what was going on.  We ended up having daddy pick us up on course as mommy just didn't think I could pull her 9 more miles to the aid station to work on her foot.  I still call it a win in my book as we all collective did more than a marathon together. 


Boom here again.  Mom's running partner decided they needed to do a 20 miler out at some place called Wilson Lake. I call it sticker lake because boy were there lots of stickers in the grass.  Mom doesn't like training in the summer and neither do I!!!  It's so hot and humid here in Kansas even at 4 am.  We did the best we could when we could, and hit the trails for 20 miles.  The temp was perfect, but boy the humidity was high.  After battling it for over 11 miles mom decided it was better for me to power hike the rest of the way.  Mom says Kansas fall is so hit or miss and boy was she right.  Who would have thought it would be 95% humidity in October????  It was a very pretty course, but mom was hurting again and I had to pull her most of the way.  I finally figured out on the downhills that mom didn't want me to pull as hard as possible, that sometimes I am better to steady her and stop.  Mom keeps saying she isn't a mountain goat but duh, I know that, she's a human.  I got my first official medal and first full race official pictures.  Don't I look awesome pulling my mom?



Stella here!  Mom said I was done racing and then I had to sub for my stinky little brother who ate cat food and got sick. Hahahaha. I ate some too, but I have an iron gut, nothing stops me!  Mom and I had a little saunter out at Sander's mound.  I have run this race before and it's a doozy.  Lots of rocks and roots and uphills and downhills to pull mom on.  I was a good girlie and tucked in behind mom most of the race and let her do the work.  Except of course when I saw Mile 90 photographers and I needed to show off for them, then I got in front and acted like I did all the work.  Mom keeps saying I am retired, but I continue to show her I.AM.NOT.  




I mean just look at me, I am a gazelle!  I still have what it takes for an old lady!  And bonus, I still smile every mile.



There you have it, racing from both the red aussie crew this year.  See ya next year!!!

BOOM and Stella


No comments:

Post a Comment