Sunday, December 19, 2021

Week 3: Joy to the Run


This was a very abnormal week for us.  We had our first dry hurricane experience.  We are SO lucky that we had very little damage, but now we are slammed trying to take care of all of our clients that have had major damage.  I haven't seen a number for Wamego specifically, but I have seen 80-90 mph wind gusts recorded around us.  


Monday:  Snowman run.  After a very long and stressful day the last thing I wanted to do was go run, but I convinced myself to just put on my running clothes and then see how I felt.  After much debating in my running clothes, I decided to do a shorten version (I normally try and get 50 minutes) and just try to do 3 or so snowmen.  I ended up getting 4 snowmen done and cutting my cool down short, as I was right by the house at the right time to stop.



Tuesday: Cross training.  Decided to try a long walk instead of strength training.  I was quickly reminded why walking in a urban setting with my dogs is not fun, particular  with Stella.  She marks just like an intact boy dog, so I felt like I was dragging her the whole way as she wanted to stop every 2 minutes to pee on something.  It was an amazing night though for walking, warm temps and lots of christmas lights to look at.  The calm before the storm for sure.    




Wednesday:  Sugarplum Yoga.  Boy did I ever need a recovery yoga session.  We knew the weather was going to be weird when we got up that morning and it was so warm.  It was almost 80 degrees and it's December.  We had been told that we would have wind gusts up to 70 mph, but I honestly didn't believe it.  Strong winds are a common thing in Kansas so I didn't bat an eye. I got back to the shop post my Wednesday meetings and the wind was around 30-40 mph.  Again, that's kind of common in Kansas, which is odd to say.  As the day went on, the wind got worse and worse and our metal building we rent for our shop sounded like it was going to explode.  We saw that also thunderstorms were forming and would be hitting round about the time school was to let out.  Sigh.  My hubby ran to go get andrew and get back to the shop at pick up time praying we could get him before they hit lock down.  We had guests in the shop and had to evacuate everyone thanks to the now 80 MPH WINDS!  As soon as we all got to our house, the tornado sirens started going off and we all headed to the basement.  Of course we had to hand the very reluctant dogs down the steps since they are straight down and very hard to navigate, and as I was coming down with the cat, the cat freaked out and started attacking my leg.  Great.  Lucky for us the tornado went north and I don't think there was very much damage but the wind was not done.  It howled and blew for hours and trees all over town got uprooted.  We are very lucky that things didn't get worse and that we had very little to no damage at the house or shop.  Our empty trailer got moved quite a bit away from it's original parking spot showing the power of the south wind. 
 
only my kid.  Christmas, Halloween, and Art.

Thursday:  Rest day.  I usually run on Thursday, but another stressful day at work and no lunch prevented me from doing anything productive.  I listened to my body, had prime rib for dinner and a beer, and went to bed early.  Some days you have to do what's best for you no matter what the schedule says.  I am very glad so many called us to help out with their storm damage, just wished that we had more electricians to attack all of the jobs.  I hate turning people away :(



Friday:  Hot buns run.  The family went shopping while I went running.  I gave them a target list and hoped for the best LOL!  My son is really into collectible figures right now, think a barbie doll sized figure that you put on a stand and just look at it.  It's his thing and he had a $100 gift card from his grandma to spend.  He had his eye on some ghost buster's figures, but ended up coming home with some He Man figures as they are making a resurgence, go figure (HAHAHAHA a figure pun).  


Saturday:  Long run day.  THE EAGLES ARE FINALLY BACK!


The weather was super conducive to seeing my friends again.  Super cold, windy, and gloomy plus, the snow geese were back.  I didn't see the eagles till I got about 4 miles out and there was a field with at least 8 just hanging out and occasionally flighting and flying.  I had the most incredible video and it some how got deleted.  I finally started getting cold, so I had to get going again.  On my way back, one of the eagles had landed on one of the telephone polls over by the feedlot.  As I was trying to be quiet and take pictures, Boom found some roadkill that had been dropped and started chowing down. I had to wrestle him to the ground and get whatever it was out of his mouth.  It was disgusting and in the end I was covered in slobber and dead stuff.  Thank goodness it didn't smell, but I was covered and had to run all the way back home with gross hands.  I am pretty sure I got most if not all away from Boom, but am currently watching him like a hawk for any signs of parasite ingestion or bacterial issues.  The eagle of course was not phased at all and looked as if he was laughing at us wrestling on the ground.  After my run I had a lot of trouble getting my body temp regulated and sat and shook on the couch under 2 blankets.  I finally got in the shower and I guess had the water too hot and almost passed out.  I ended up puking up my hot chocolate I had just drank to try and get warm from the inside out and spending the afternoon in bed. So weird.  I use to get like this post the big half marathons I would do when I was chasing a time goal, but I was not chasing any time goal this time for sure, just going out for a nice easy long run.  
  


Sunday:  Run?  Cross train?  I woke up feeling fine.  Andrew had a b day party that involved ice skating mid morning.  I haven't ice skated in years but decided to try and see if my body remembered all the trips to Memphis to the big rink at the mall.  I use to go with a friend and we would skate for hours.  This is a small rink in Manhattan, so not well maintained ice, but still fun.  Andrew spent most of his time hugging the wall or on his butt, but we still had fun and I got quite a work out.  I decided a walk later with Stella while the boys were watching the new Spiderman movie was enough for the day.  I also did 500 loads of laundry, cleaned the house, and picked up sticks in the front yard from the storm (still have side yard and back yard to go, sigh).  When is house work going to be considered cross training?

Have a great week y'all!  I am looking forward to true winter temps minus the wind and hopefully four runs again and a little less work stress.  





No comments:

Post a Comment