Monday, May 16, 2022

Summer time?


Kansas conveniently forgot spring again this year.  We launched straight from winter to summer in one week.  Highs in the upper 90s with heat indexes of over 100 dominated the week and I was not heat acclimated at all.  I was also not ready to start getting up at 4 am to try and beat some of the heat and the dreaded sun that I so love in the winter.  I did set my alarm on numerous days hoping to get up to cool temps and woke up to 80 degrees with humidity almost at 100 percent.  That's a big nope.  With nothing specific to train for till mid June when I will start preparing for my half marathon in September, I have no reason to subject myself to this mess.  Instead I tried heat acclimation by staying outside and doing other things in the heat.  I mowed and worked in the yard one night.  I groomed dogs and cleaned up our deck for the upcoming summer months on another.  I sat outside at baseball practice and then a game and talked with parents.  



We did have a jam packed week.  Andrew had his class field trip to the 4-H camp in Junction City.  He spent much of the day sitting on the sidelines working on a tooth that was lose. Sigh.  I loved the team building exercises that his class went through, minus little red.  


It was incredibly hot but his class ended their rotations doing a stream study, in which his entire class got in to the stream to catch a variety of bugs, fish, and frogs.  I am sure some parents were a bit surprised to get muddy wet kids home with drenched shoes, but if they could have seen the joy on these kid's faces, they would realize it was worth it.  


Tuesday was a field day type day.  All of the fourth grade classes headed down to city park to compete at different games.  This was one of my favorites, team tic tac toe with bean bags.  Again, it was blazing hot, so any stations with water games were greatly appreciated by the kids.  


The rest of the week was a blur of heat and practices.  I coached track club twice in the heat, Tony coached baseball twice, and we sweltered at the shop with no AC.  


Stella got the all clear for her stitches to come out, but I found out they were dissolvable (i thought that was what he told me pre surgery), so now we just wait for them to fall out.  


I did get a run in on Saturday morning.  It was  little cooler, however the humidity was still pretty high.  We took it easy, used our walk breaks as always, and took several water breaks.  I let Boom off of the leash most of the run so if he needed to set his pace or stop he could.  I have brushed his undercoat out and he is ready for summer. I just need a new pair of clippers for belly shaves.  


We decided to have a Wamego day post running.  We visited my favorite coffee shop The Brew for a dirty chai, we walked around downtown thrift and antique shops, had a couple of beers and sandwiches at Barleycorns, and finished the night with wine and live music at the winery.  


Sunday was all about storms and bingo.  I had mentioned to one of my track moms that Bingo at Happy Bassett was so much fun on Sunday, and she messaged me Sunday morning and said she would meet me there later.  I actually got a Bingo this time!!!  I picked out suckers for the boys to share as my prize and I got a free beer.


I did get 3 miles in post Bingo.  I told boom if he would pull me, we could go and he did great.  Andrew was worn out from a late night the night before and storms that rolled through around 6:30 in the morning.



Only 2 runs this week, but I did get out and try and heat acclimate, even if it wasn't running per se.  This week should be better temperature wise, however we do have a 2 day race weekend, so maybe no long run.  Life is busy and that is the very reason I didn't want to train for a fall race, at least not seriously.  Have a great week y'all!














No comments:

Post a Comment