Saturday, April 21, 2018

Flint Hill''s 50 and Trail Marathon


 Wow, what a race!!!!  Let's start at the beginning shall we?

Packet pick up was at Manhattan Running Company Friday night, or you could pick up at the race.  Since Andrew is in town Friday night for Sylvan, I headed over to get my packet and my friend Sam's packet.  Not only did we get a super soft shirt this year (i helped last year at an aid station, so I got last year's shirt too), but we got some lularoe leggings since the RD's wife sells Lularoe.  BONUS!


I set out flat michelle and flat stella.


The weather reports had been all over the place with regards to temperature and rain amount.  One thing was for sure, rain at some intensity was a given.  The good news was the temps were suppose to be relatively warm (40-50) and the winds were suppose to be pretty non existence.  I wanted to wear shorts, but planned on layering on the top with arm warmers, a tech T, my brooks jacket, and possibly a poncho on top of all of that.


I woke up to this.  The rain was coming from the south and just sitting on top of us for hours.  While it was constant rain like Boston just had, it wasn't cold and there was little to no wind like they had.  I decided to take the poncho in my pack and keep my jacket on and keep my gloves on.  I had plenty of pockets to store things in if I didn't need them, and I would rather him them just in case than to want them.  I am SO glad that I did!  While the temps weren't horrible, being wet and in a little wind kept my hands frozen even with the gloves on.

I wanted to take lots of pictures on the course because it was SO pretty, but the rain pretty much started as we started and never let up, so I left my phone in my pocket with the ziploc bag on.  Luckily, I could control it through the ziploc bag, but I had to take my glove off any time I needed to and putting a wet glove on is kind of tricky.



Here are a couple of pics that I got.  There was a professional photog on the course and I can't wait to see what he captured of Stella.  I LOVED the course.  It was other than a tiny bit of asphalt at the beginning and end, ALL GRAVEL, just like where I train!!!!  Of course I don't have the rolling hills that this course has where I train,  but I would love to come into town some time and train on this course.  This is my cup of tea for sure!  Add in Stella by my side and it was pretty awesome.  The constant rain made it tough and some parts of the road were a little greasy and slick, BUT I would love to do this race again with better weather hopefully.  


I  know this sounds odd, but even thought it took me 5 hours and 35 minutes, it didn't feel like it took that long at all.  I only looked at my watch to see when I needed to fuel.  I kind of felt like whatever pace I was getting was my best that i could give given the situation, and there was no need to get upset if it was slower than what I normally do.  I power walked most of the big hills and I liked that strategy.  Stella was wonderful!  I was able to let her off leash pretty quickly, as most of the runners left us in their dust.  I was able to listen to podcasts and 80s music the whole time and just concentrate on enjoying the run, even though I couldn't feel my hands most of the time.  I ran with another runner for a brief moment who had gotten lost and was already at a marathon distance and we were only at mile 20 at that point.  She got back on track and ended up finishing strong.  I got a big hug from her at the end, and I am so glad she was able to finish despite being cold and very tired. I guess she got her very first Ultra under her belt instead of her first marathon!


Despite Stella looking a little non plussed here, she was actually smiling for most of the race.  She even got the zoomies at one of the aid stations where she was doing burn outs and kicking up mud.  She had many pics taken of her by several aid stations and got fresh water put in her water bowl each time.  We shared all of my fuel and I got coke (my fav thing about ultra races) at each aid station and a part of a banana that we also shared.  We also saw Coach Patton ( our Wamego legendary track coach) at one of the first aid stations, and he didn't even recognize me with all of my gear on LOL!  



My watch read the race was short BUT I didn't start it right at the beginning due to stella screaming and pulling like crazy.  


I hate that I didn't get to celebrate at the end with the rest of the racers, but Stella was pretty gross and I didn't want her sharing her grossness with everyone in the building.  Plus, there was something going on in the building other than the race and they were not happy when I walked in with her.  No big deal, my tummy really doesn't like food right after a race anyway.  I wanted to take Sam home and then get in a hot shower.  I could tell that I was getting super sore and locked up towards the end thanks to the hills.  I am really glad I got in with the bringer of pain at Body first next week for some good deep tissue and myofascial release.  

Overall, this is a beautiful course with some tough rolling hills.  It's pretty much all gravel with a little bit of  asphalt at the beginning and end.  It is super small and I like it that way.  If you don't like being by yourself the majority of the race, this isn't the race for you, but I liked it because I could listen to my podcasts and music without headphones, plus Stella could be off leash.  The RD is SUPER nice and will answer any questions you have quickly.  Plus, the course is so beautiful in the Flint Hills around Lake Elbow.  The course was a loop, so if you like a course that is one giant loop versus a point to point or an out back, this the course for you.  The course had signs at intersections that let you know where you were going but again, a few people got lost anyway.  The aid stations were plentiful and had everything I needed and the volunteers were super friendly.  Come join us next year in the Flint Hills for this amazing race!  Maybe we can convince the weather to be a little nicer next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment