Sunday, November 18, 2018

A week of recovery

I have exactly a week to do whatever I want until the next training cycle starts in.  I know I will be running, just not sure how much.  I am back to 2 a week cross fit training, since no snow is in the forecast (YIPEEEE).  I would like to hit the trails again this weekend if at possible for maybe a one looper with the girls out at Fancy.

Monday:  Rest day.  Schedule change.  Usually I coach Mondays and tony takes care of Andrew's schedule, but Tony had a very important meeting at 4, so I went ahead and took off from coaching to take Andrew to music since he missed it last week.  I got the delight of listening to his rock band play jingle bells one hundred million times and I loved every bit of it :)


Tuesday: easy miles.  Since I am technically not on any type of plan or training cycle just yet, I get to choose what I want to do.  My body has felt really, really good post my last race, thanks to salt baths, cross fit, and proper recovery (thank you to almost 12 hours of sleep).  It was really cold, but this type of weather is my favorite, so I headed out in some new gear.


The coat is from last year (Brooks), but underneath I had a winter running shirt from Academy, their (BCG brand) and some running tights also BCG brand.  I am happy to say they worked very well in those temps.  Of course my butt got cold, but even in my mizuno tights my butt gets cold.  Easy fix, just wear a running skirt.  I swear Kansas totally forgot fall this year.   I like having a cheaper alternative to some of my more expensive gear.  While there is a difference in quality for sure, these tights and shirt seem to work just as well.  I will keep you posted as to how they handle this winter running this season.

Back to my Tuesday cross fit session with Erin.  I did some  cleans with a new sand bag that Erin brought in that weighed about stella's weight.  We named it stella and my EMOM was every 2 minutes, 15 kettlebell deadlifts and 200 meters sandbag walks.  I ended with some dead bug exercises to trying work my core and mid line.



Wednesday:  rest day.  Poor boom had to go to the vet.  He had been having accidents all day the day before and i suspected crystals and or pH issues, and I was right.  Went through these with stella ella and it wasn't fun, so hoping since we caught this early, we can get it fixed quickly.  Poor guy seems his normal self just full of pee.  

Thursday:  Easy 4 miler and some Cross Fit.  It was kind of funny, as we crossed the rail road tracks headed out to the gravel, a big truck pulled up and a guy got out and started building a sign.  The sign said road closed, which I thought was odd, but I had just started my run so i kept going.  When I came back, they were working on the railroad and the road was definitely shut down.  


Poop.  Went to the next crossing, shut down, and the next.  Oh well, extra mileage is good right?  Ended up going through the park and had to stop and get a stella selfie.  


GOTR was easy as the girls were working on their service project so no running.  We are almost at the end of the season and I can't believe that the end is in sight!  Cross fit was not easy, but it was fun and I really enjoyed my AMRAMP.   I worked on finding my max for the bench press. and then I worked on some reps at different percentages.  I then did an AMRAP that included sled pulls, ring rows, box step ups, and dumb bell snatches.  I was dripping with sweat when I finshed and felt like a bad ass doing those sled pulls with that big rope!


Friday:  Rest day.  We headed to the dine in movie to see the new Grinch movie.  It was cute but I sure was glad I had beer.  I think the story has been told enough and while Andrew loved it, I was pretty bored.  I think I prefer the Jim Carey verison the best.  Andrew is all about the Grinch right now so we headed out post movie to find a grinch Funko Pop.  We never did find one but we did find some of his favorite characters at Hot Topic which cracked me up.  Haven't been in that store in YEARS!

Saturday:  Rest day....again.  We had plans for the day and I just didn't get up early enough to get started pre plans.  After we got done, I was just not in the mood to run.  Andrew has shared his cold with me and I was not feeling great.  SO far neither of us have fevers, just lots of congestion.  


We did a lot of this and I am fine with that.  It was super blustery outside and yucky and after some lunch in a little cute town named Alma we just took it easy.  I am going to write a separate post about what we did Saturday morning so stay tuned.  It was called The Santa experience and it truly was magical!  One of the mom's from Andrew's t ball team does these photo sessions with Santa, and she had asked if  I would come and then talk about my experience on social media and my blog.  We will definitely be back next year and for years to come!


Sunday:  After an 8 pm bed time and then sleeping till past 9 am, I had to get some things accomplished for the day.  We HAD to get Thanksgiving dinner shopping done.  We are getting our turkey and ham (trying something different this year) from a local small business called Smokin Willies.  The rest my wonderful hubby is cooking, so we had to get all.the.things along with most of Manhattan/Wamego!  I knew the weather would be pretty nice later on in the afternoon and I only wanted to do 6, so running could wait.  After some shopping and some good coffee, we headed back to put up all.the.things., and got ready to run.  Even though it was feels like 30s, it was still chilly out and for once, I under dressed and was not very comfortable.  I seriously contemplated heading back home after the first mile to get some gloves and my Brooks jacket, but I decided to tough it out.  My feet have been bothering me on and off during the run and today was much the same.  I hope that it is just me running on the roads/gravel more than trails and not my new shoes.  I can't get to the trail during the week so my body is just going to have to deal.  

And with that, recovery week is over and marathon training begins!  I am so excited to try a brand new type of training cycle (low week/high week) and try to get my love back for speed work by incorporating some fun short sessions in my easy runs as well as getting back to hill repeats!   

Have a great week! My mom and step dad will be here to celebrate Thanksgiving and I can't wait!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment