Monday, May 20, 2019

Winging it Week 3: Recovery

I have a down week before another racing week, and I am going to need it!  Bring on the craziness that is May!!!!!

Monday:  Cross fit.  Got to class and only two others showed up, both being our heavy lifting guys.  I seriously could just watch them lift and not do it myself LOL!  We did our usual series of back squats, just in a little ladder form that was kind of fun.  I like it when they mix up the series, so that it isn't the same old same old every time with certain percentages and reps.  This one we did a percentage for 5 reps, one for 3, and one for 1, and then moved up the percentages and started over again.  Coach thinks i need to rethink my max of 125 lbs, but I am not so sure I am ready mentally!


Post work, we had our very first baseball game!  While we lost 5-1, we had so much fun, and the kiddos did great for their very first big boy baseball game post T-ball.  Andrew got 1 hit and one which was nice contact as well, but he was thrown out at first.  He also advanced the runner with his contact and hit in another kid for an RBI on his double.  He played "pitcher" and I have that in quotes because technically the machine threw the ball, but he played to the side of the machine and got tons and tons of balls hit to him.  He had several kids advance on his throwing errors because of his throws to first, but at this point we don't care, we just want them throwing to first where the play usually is at instead of like T ball where the play was always to throw to the infield or pitcher.


Tuesday:  Rest day.  Y'all I was SO sore from Cross fit the day before that i barely could move.  With my calf muscle still pretty sore, I figured waiting a few days to run wouldn't be the end of the world.  I have one more half marathon to pace, but again I am sure i can do it with minimal running.  I need to be 100% and that is the most important. I did run 2 laps with the kiddos at track club, but that was it as we finished the night working on long jump.


Wednesday:  Rest day.  Baseball night.  For the next two months, baseball will rule Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday nights.  We have games twice a week, batting practice at the cages one night a week, and fielding practice on Sundays.  If our kiddos could hit the balls on the machine, we could combine batting and fielding, but that just isn't happening, YET.  Our Coleman Electric Royals actually got the win 2-0!  Andrew caught for 3 innings and did pretty good.  I was a nervous wreck as he is learning how to catch safely, and also did I mention that ball is coming at him at 40 mph?  Most of the balls just went screaming past him and hit the back stop, but he did manage to catch 2 and more importantly was very safe as he caught!!!!


Thursday:  Finally run day!  I decided to try out my calf muscle on some flat road and see how it felt.  I did my normal 1 mile with boom and Stella, and then dropped Boom off and grabbed deuce to get the rest.  It was pretty warm by the time we headed out, around 77 F,  but lower humidity and there was tons of water left on the road from the last round of rain for the dogs to take a dip in.  I think the days of running post dropping Andrew off are done.  Nothing hurt, so I think my plan of resting for several days post race really helped.  I am kind of proud of myself for listening to my body and not pushing it.  I also headed to the Crossfit box to do some deadlifts, since the Wednesday class is now all partner WODs and there is no lifting.  I had another round of regular deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, and I tried deficient deadlifts for the first time.  All challenging, but fun!  It was 89 degrees in the gym, but since I was just warming up and then lifting, I didn't feel too bad during or after. 


Friday:  Massage day!!!  I had planned a deep tissue massage with Trina at Rising Phoenix Wellness.  I needed cups and CBD oil stat!  My calf muscle wasn't horrible when she got in there and started to dig, but my feet were both a mess.  She worked most of the time on my lower legs and feet, and while it hurt horribly bad, I felt great later!  If you haven't tried cupping, you really, really should. I am seeing GREAT results with it and love it!  I think I would prefer cupping to scraping or needles any day of the week.

Saturday:  Race day!  Points race #3.  Andrew had an amazing practice Tuesday, so we were so excited to see how he did at the race...except we were due to have severe storms ALL DAY.  The club made the right decision to postpone the race for the safety of all, and I am super glad they did.  I did not think hiding in the Tahoe all day sounded like a good plan, especially if the storms were to do as they thought they would.  I was also pretty sore from my massage and had planned on using Saturday as a rest day, since most of the day would be sitting at the track.  When all the plans changed and it wasn't raining and felt nice out, i started to waver. I  really didn't have a specific distance in mind for a long run, so I could just go run for like an hour and be okay.  I could beat the storms and then shower, and we could get all the things done I needed to.  Then all the chores I needed to get done and stuff I needed to plan for baseball and Andrew's birthday party all came to my mind, and I chose to not run, to get stuff done, and to not freak out about a missed opportunities.  We cuddled up and watched scary movies,  did laundry, ate pizza, and just took some time to be still, something we won't get a lot of for the next two or so months.


Sunday:  Race day part 2!  Woke up to rain, but also woke up to reports of the rain stopping around 9 am.  Packed up and headed to the track.  Had hoped to get my longish run done pre race, but oh well sleep was important and lack of rain was as well.  It was chilly and beautiful out, so I hoped it stayed that way all day.  I will have to say this race was better, but still not where we know he could be.  They went back to the single car qualifying system, plus one heat race before the main, and he drove his little heart out in qualifying.  Had the second fastest car only by .3 of a second.  WTG!


First heat race was tough, and I thought he might pass several times, but he ended up 5th out of 7 cars because he just wouldn't pass.  Improvement over last week where he ended up 2nd and then last, just letting all of the cars pass him.  He attempted one pass and then got scared and backed off.  Baby steps.  Then the main came, and boy was it tough.  He was #3 inside and he is not a fan of the inside.  Between him freaking out about running caution laps on the inside and his outside car not getting up there so they could start, the race just didn't pan out the way I thought it would.  They had several wrecks, which is okay, they are learning, but line ups are still hard for them and single file restarts seem to be easier for them to do.  After several thrilling laps and again some racing on his part, he ended up letting 2 cars pass him and settled in for fifth again.  While I think he could have done a tiny bit better and at least passed the car in front of him that was obviously slower, I think he did improve mentally and is at least attempting to pass now.  I know his courage will come and for now we are just going to celebrate the small stuff.  He cried pretty hard post race, and I again I think that is good, because it shows he actually cares.  We have two weeks off and then a thrilling night race, so excited to see how this season shapes up. Its a long one so we have plenty of time to develop.


Post race I had to get in some mileage, and it was beautiful outside, so dropped Andrew off with daddy and headed out for 8-9 miles.  I haven't had a perfect long run in a long time, and this was perfect.  Nothing hurt, the weather was perfect, and I just was in the zone the entire run.  YIPEEEE!!!!! Got back just in time for GOT to start and hubby had BBQ and fixings ready for dinner (good job hubby, click treat).

I am glad I rested this week and didn't push it. I am glad I am able to relax a bit and not freak out about missed work outs.  I am also really happy I got 2 days in the gym, and can't wait to continue this streak.  Bring on pacing and bring on the Bill Synder half!

2 comments:

  1. Such a great attitude with your willingness to rest & not stress about it. We all should be so lucky ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me years to get to this point and boy is it still hard!

      Delete