Sunday, May 5, 2019

Winging it! Week 1

I am not sure what to call these blog posts till I start training again. I am still recovering and NOT on a plan, so maybe Winging IT should be the title? I don't officially start on plan till July, so I have two months to play around and do whatever I like! Anyway, here is my weekly wrap, enjoy.

Jon Snow the Tahoe got some stickers finally!
Monday: Crossfit.  Back squat series with my 120 max and then a fun WOD that included jump ropes, knees up on the bar, and burpees.  I fell behind the class rather quickly because well, burpees, but I did my best.
a wet and happy stella
Tuesday:  1 mile with boom and 4 with Stella.  We were having a cold misty rain and I didn't feel like dealing with 3 wet dogs all day, so Deuce stayed home and got a peanut butter kong.

these two need to enter race walking at the olympics!
Wednesday:  1st grade field trip. We basically speed walked the Topeka zoo like 5 times. I had never been to the Topeka zoo, but it was super cute and fun.  I would have liked to have spent more than 8.2 seconds per exhibit, but the kiddos wanted to do and see everything and even though we had all day, they didn't care.  The exhibits that they did stop at for more than a few seconds??

These two needed a private room
Well you guessed it, those were the ones where love was in the air.  Sigh.  I didn't know Andrew's friend or her parents, so I just said they were giving each other piggy back rides and called it good.  If it were just my child I probably would have explained it better and more scientifically, but with guests I didn't want to get into it.


Thursday:  Since the weather was a bit nicer, all dogs got their runs.  Boom got his one miler with Stella Ella and then deuce got four with Stella.  We also had our first batting cage practice with the kiddos.  They are just not getting the bat speed they need to hit off of a 35 mph pitching machine.  We are trying everything to help them and I am worried they are themselves getting very frustrated.  I just want them all to learn new things and enjoy this season and not dread baseball because of a stupid machine.

Friday:  Rest day.  Ahhhhhh.   No practices, no events, just a good dinner and early to bed.  My kind of night.
newborn stella
Saturday: Andrew's first track meet and 8 miles.  First off HAPPY BIRTHDAY STELLA!  Eight years old and still kicking ass and not slowing down at all!  To many more years!


We drove to Clay Center for our first and maybe only this year kid's track meet.  Unfortunately, there aren't many of these around and unless our club kicks in, there will be fewer next year.  I think it is a great venue for kiddos from age 5 up to 6th grade to get to try out and participate in all of the track and field events at an appropriate level for their age. Andrew has been doing one track practice a week plus all the running in his other sports, but still he has maybe done the long jump twice this year.  He isn't a huge fan of running, prefers the field events, but he has to run in order to do field.  We entered him in the long jump, the 100 and the 50 meter dash.  I am SO proud of him because even though he came in last in every single event, he never gave up, he ran and jumped hard, and he never cried.  He had a great attitude about everything, and I am so proud of him for going up against kids in elite track clubs and not batting an eye.  I had a dad kind of question my happiness and I didn't let him upset me.  Yeah, my kiddo just got three participation ribbons only, but he tried hard and never gave up and that is all I care about. 


Post track meet I had to get ready to head out for my longish run.  I wanted to do 8 or more miles for Stella's birthday.  It was my first truly hot run for the year so I knew I would be slow. I usually don't take a pack for 8 miles but I loaded up water for Stella and water + nuun for me and a snack since I hadn't really eaten lunch all day.  


We took our time, enjoyed it when the wind was in our face, and ate our snack about half way through the run.  I have a half marathon I am pacing next weekend so hoping for cooler temps and NO humidity.  
race photos but printed.  Will have to scan them in!
Sunday:  Track day!  Different track, instead of a quarter of a mile, we have 1/20th of a mile of pure concrete.  Knowing my child, I knew to expect anything.  I was pleasantly pleased with his second place first heat race.  That meant he had to start at the back of the next race and thus far he had not had to deal with lap traffic, plus this was a MUCH bigger field than last week.  Well, he lost his nerve and decided that staying at the back was a better plan than battling and trying to pass.  


This resulted in a last place for that heat, which meant he would probably be at the front for the main since they flip flop them by the way they finish in the heats.  I thought that might boost his confidence, but after seeing two wrecks, he just couldn't muster the nerve to drive like he usually drives.  I get it, he is is 6, and there is fear and doubt.  I am not going to push him and say negative things about his performance because I want him to continue, but at the same time,  I am not going to let him quit.  We have a free weekend next weekend and then a race in two weeks, so hoping he can get out of his own head and just drive.  He is so my son, I so identify with his overthinking :)


And there you have it Winging it week 1 is a wrap!!!!  Look for more of the same next week, going with the flow, winging it, and having fun.  

4 comments:

  1. I like "Winging It" weeks! I tend to do that a lot ;-) That's great that your son had such a great attitude with the track meets and that he enjoys simply being there. Too bad more parents can't embrace that simple ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard but with andrew's fixed mindset, we have to be that way for sure.

      Delete
  2. I"m winging it every day right now! I think that's the best way to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beginning to embrace this mindset as well!

      Delete