Tuesday, April 30, 2019

1st points race 2019 TQMA

Sunday was our first Topeka Quarter Midgets Race.  I was unsure how it was to go.  Andrew had had the class in which he had been a little speed racer, a really bad practice where he wouldn't go above idle, and then a really good practice with another novice kiddo.  

Getting suited up for check in and practice

We also are totally rookies, so we saw a schedule, but had no clue what we were doing.  We still don't have a trailer yet (coming soon I hope), so we just threw as much in the back of the truck as we could and headed to the track for check in at 9:30 am.  


It was cold, which we will be wishing for I am sure very soon.  Uncle Cayce was chief pit crew, so I could stay out of the pits and just cheer, video, and take lots of pictures.

AC Coleman and his race car 

The Coleman Electric Pit Crew
After check in, it was time for a novice controlled practice.  The novice kiddos got about 30 minutes of time on the track, which at times was a little scary with all of them on there buzzing around.


getting strapped in for practice

After practice we had a general meeting and then we had some down town before qualifying.


I don't think Andrew totally understood the whole concept of go as fast as you can during qualifying, so you get put in a good spot.  I think he had the slowest time of all of the racers, but again he came off smiling and happy, so we don't care.  

Post weigh out and tech check

Then the rain started.  We got through qualifying for all levels and classes but we didn't get through any heat races.  I am still learning what heat races are and why we do them.

Don't have a fancy car cover so blankets will do

Hoping to get some track time before the rain starts

water for the racers on rain delay

new friends
all of the safety gear including hans device, fire suit, gloves, and restraints

I love the fact that he is learning how to take care of his car and loves helping daddy get it tuned up

horrible storms around us


After several hours of waiting and having volunteers drying the track in the pouring rain (or trying to I should say), the rain moved out and we were able to get our heat race in.  Heat races were 12 laps I think.  All of the kiddos went from the heat race into the main race. I am still learning what all of this means and how they seed kiddos.  I think heat races are usually 8-12 laps and they determine the starting location for the points race or main?  Feel free to correct me because I am still learning.



After everyone did their heat races, we moved on to the mains or features (again correct me please).  I hope the videos work so you can see Andrew.  He blew me away with the fact that he stayed out for the full 25 laps, he didn't get scared even after a brief wreck, and he came off of the track with a HUGE smile!


big smile!  3rd place and going into tech check

Plus post race he stayed around and played with many of his new racing friends.  This is the part I love the most, the new friends and the fact that he can basically free range at the track with all of the kiddos.


Here is his car waiting on tech check.  They take safety and playing by the rules very, very seriously.  




long day but new friends

Andrew qualified last with the slowest 3 lap time, which started him first in the heat race.  He finished second in the heat race, so that started him outside pole position on the feature race.  He finished third in the feature race and I am not sure how many points he got since I am clueless to all of this.  



Here is one of the professional photos from practice I believe since the girl in the green car is in senior novice.  

photo from Donny Reed Racing FB

We had so much fun and I can't wait to see how he does as his confidence grows.  I hope this is something he sticks with for a while because I enjoyed hanging out with the other parents and asking lots of questions.  Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment