Thursday, April 11, 2019

I DID it!!!!!

Y'all, I pulled the trigger and signed up for my 50 miler!  Just last year I had abandoned the hope of ever doing a 50 and yet this training cycle has gone so amazingly well that I just had to set my sights on a 50 again! 


i am going to run the Run Amok race in Harrison Tennessee.  I have heard SO many good comments on this race and race course.  I love the fact that it is beginner friendly, yet still a trail with varying scenery and terrain.  While i had thought about doing the Hawk as my first 50, I think this will break me in a little bit more gentler, plus it is later in the year so Stella ella can race with me.  The bonus???  It's in TN so my whole family can come and cheer me on!  

Things that excite me the most about this race????

1.  No hard time cut offs.  50 hours total and that is still an ish cut off.  While I figure I should be fine and be able to run it in 12-14 hours, it's nice to know I won't have sweepers breathing down my neck.

2.  There are multiple races going on including races that start in the afternoon or night, so I will never be alone!

3.  The trail is 6. something mile loop, so I will be near an aid station and my crew every hour and a half.  No worrying about carrying all.the.things. like a pack mule.

4.  The pictures on the website are amazing!  Harrison Bay State Park looks beautiful in the fall. 

5.  The trail is near water for most of the mileage, so if Stella gets hot, she can take a dip.  It also appears to be a dog friendly course, YIPEEEE!  Most of the trails are pretty wide, which will be nice so that I can just focus on one foot in front of the other and not all the runners coming up behind me. 

6.  The course is 4 hours and 20 minutes from my house in Jackson. I will probably drive Stella and I to TN and then have my parents drive me to the start/finish and then drive back and spend some time before driving myself back to KS.  I loved having them at one of my marathons and am going to NEED them to be at my first 50 miler.    My brother who lives in Atlanta may even be able to run a loop or two with me. 

7.  I have heard such great things about the company that puts these races on.  If their pictures on FB are any indication, I should be having a great time for my first 50!

Okay, so give it to me, important things to know for my first 50????  Tips, tricks, dos or don't dos????

2 comments:

  1. wow, I am simply in awe!! I like the idea of the loops, having to carry all the fuel, etc. is a drag. You could potentially even take a brief break after each lap (?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really like the fact that aid is so close. THat loop will take me a little over and hour so it should be perfect for gearing back up!

      Delete