Sunday, April 14, 2019

Recovery Week

WOW, so much to go over in a week but I will try and make it short and sweet.  Most of the week has been devoted to rest and recovery.  No early mornings, just lots of sleep, and no working out.  I did walk a lot and a little tiny bit of SLOW running with the track kids Wednesday, and then a 4 mile super easy trail run on Saturday with the Kansas Canicross group.

2nd Canicross Meet up!  
My kiddo took his 3rd and final Novice Quarter Midget car class in Topeka.  He did some mock racing and won a few times!!!!  I can't say enough about this group and the way they teach the kiddos.  While daddy has been to all of the classes with him, when I hear of the things they did to teach them things like track line up and pit stuff, and hand signals, I am amazed!  This seems to be a really, really good group and I can't wait to see some racing on Sundays starting in two weeks.

First mock race session!  He did SO well.

Stella and I also volunteered all day at a local trail ultra.  We were at mile 20 and mile 45 and LOVED every minute of it. I love giving back to my running community!  We took a 10:30-6:00 pm shift and had so much fun getting to know the runners and their crews.  This is a tiny race (we did the marathon last year) but it is SO amazing and the views of the Flint Hills can't be beat.  I may have to run this one as a 50 some year:)


She pretty much wanted to run with each runner that came through.  She cheats so easily.

Then this happened on friday!!!!!


Long story short, all of my vehicles in the past have been given to me by my parents.  They were usually just their older vehicles or great deals that they got that they couldn't pass up.  I am SO grateful for their kindness and generosity, because they saved me years of a car payment.  The only problem?  Older cars tend to fall apart.   Even though I got them for free, I replaced a transmission, a whole AC system twice, two doors from top to bottom, and several little but expensive things.  Pretty much everything but a full engine, but I digress.  The van I was currently driving  (Sir Stubby) was in running condition, but we have replaced pretty much everything on it and it's days were numbered.  He was a 2000 and even though the little old man took care of him, he sat unused a lot in a garage. Anyway, we needed a loaner when tony's work truck was in the shop, so they gave us this beauty to drive.  I fell HARD in love and starting asking about payments.  Well, she is now MINE!!!!!  It's a 2011 and it has so many bells and whistles that I am going to have to spend a whole day just pressing buttons and figuring out how it works.  I am so excited to have a newer vehicle that isn't one foot in the grave!  I am loving all of the room and the bucket seats versus bench seats in my van.  I can't wait to drive this baby to a race!  I am also planning what crates to put in the back because I now should have room for the dogs to once again ride much more safely.  


And last but not least, I signed up for my first 50 miler!!!!!  It's in TN in November and I have already found a plan that looks promising.  I am looking forward to some easy running next week.  Technically, my next training cycle doesn't start till July for my 50 miler, so I have the rest of April, may, and June to take it easy, do lots of Cross Fit and cycling, and keep a moderate base going.  I do have 2 half marathons that I am pacing in May and I am sure I will find a race or two to jump in because well, I just can't turn done a good trail race.  

Thanks for reading and have a GREAT week!




8 comments:

  1. I am glad to read that you are giving your body some rest after your race. Volunteering at a race is fun once in a while. So much goes on w the other side of things that we don't realize. Wow 50 miler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO excited and freaked out at the same time!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the new wheels! I still have my 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I just can't let it go. No car payment and reliability is pretty valuable.

    Looking forward to following you on your 50 miler training. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nervous and excited!!!! I was so inspired helping with the race this weekend because again I saw so many just amazing people getting it done! That reminded me to just put one foot in front of the other and that I could do it to!

      Delete
  3. That's a good looking new ride! Hooray for pulling the trigger on the 50. That's so exciting. Having a few months of "downtime" before the training starts sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure am going to enjoy that downtime! No structure to running, maybe some swimming and lots of biking!

      Delete
  4. SO many of us were embracing the rest mode this week! Great minds, huh!! Wow, a 50-miler!!!! That sounds mucho exciting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited and nervous and scared but mostly excited!

      Delete