Sunday, April 7, 2019

Week 12: Race week!

We made it!  I would have to say this has been one of the best training cycles I have ever had!  Between being consistent with my strength training and massages with Trina and Doug, plus doing most if not all runs with a 4:1 run/walk method, i think I have found the key to keeping my body happy!!!!!  Of course race day will be the final decider, but if this works, I will be adopting this training cycle for my next marathons for sure.  Now to go wrap mine and Stella's body in bubble wrap and overdose on vitamin C :)


Monday:  Rest day.  Well,  active rest as little man wanted to go for a bike ride. I have dreamed of the day when we can get a few miles together and we still aren't at miles, but we are at asking and going around the park and neighborhood.  I had a smile pretty much the whole time as we peddled slowly around.  He still seems to prefer to be on sidewalks or in our city park versus roads, but I will take it!  We are still on training wheels, and yes we need to move his seat up a bit since he has grown over the winter. I think we will get at least another year or two out of this bike and I am so glad we sprung for a nice Giant brand bike that has grown with him.


Tuesday:   Easy 4. I did one mile with Boom and Stella first and then switched out Boom for Deuce to finish our 4.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I love these two so much even if they both drive me batty!

Wednesday:   Rest day.  Freak out about all the things day.  This summer is going to be one busy summer and I am a HUGE planner, so trying to get everything planned and nice and neat on a schedule.  Wow.  Deep breath.  Right now we will have baseball practice one maybe two nights a week that I have to schedule and keep track of.  Then, we are going to try this whole midget car racing thing, so at least one night a week practice in Topeka and races on Sundays.  I of course am coaching track club two nights a week, but that may have to go down to one night a week dependent on baseball practices.  I am also helping plan our school's yearly 5K, which is a fundraiser for our PTO, but the bulk of committee meetings and planning is through the summer.  I think a few things are going to have to give and I need to figure out which those would be.  Since I run and work out at the butt crack of dawn, that should be good.  I fear we will be ending music soon, till next school year at least. I don't want him to give it up totally, but I need my sanity and it sounds like baseball games are for sure on Monday nights.  Races if we do them for the midget car stuff will be on Sundays, but we may also have an afternoon baseball practice too on those days.  Gulp.  Buckle up, here goes nothing!!!!!

Hello humidity.  It's been a while.

Thursday:  Easy 4 miles.  I was sweating and puffing like crazy.  Then I clicked on my weather app and yep, 95% humidity.  YIKES!  I am NOT ready for the humidity.  Please please please Kansas, do not throw me horrible humidity for this weekend.  I haven't adapted to it yet and 28 miles of it would SUCK!

Friday:  Pack and Travel day.  The butterflies were fluttering in full effect now.  I am not trying to get a specific time, just trying to finish, but I always get a little nervous doing a course I have never done previously.  Cindy was doing her homework and finding blogs and elevation charts so we would be mentally prepared.  We got a pre race email about the color of flags (pink and white out/yellow and red back).  I will probably run with my phone just in case and will be sticking with other runners but still, good to know.  Packet pick up was the start finish line and we had a small pasta dinner that was super yummy!  They had chunks of black olive, mushrooms and tomato, just how I love spaghetti!  After a quick meal and visiting with other runners, Stella and i headed back to hotel to sort gear.  On our way, we found a little state park called Mushroom Rock State park.  It was on the side of the road and had a little parking place, so we stopped and checked out the rocks.  Those rocks are all natural made by erosion over time and are amazing!  Stella and I shared a hot fudge sundae and some time with Cindy and Miles and then hit the hay.


Saturday:  Race day!!!!  I will do a race recap shortly so check back!  Short synopsis, it was probably the hardest trail race I have done to date and it took me 8 hours to do 28 miles.  We also learned a new term "heavy marathon".

I love unique finishers awards!
Sunday:  Rest day!  My feet were shredded thanks to the water crossing and the ruts.  I came home with a violent headache and ended up in bed pretty quickly.  Of course my body decided at 6 am it was done being still so I obliged and got up.  I guess a nap will probably happen later!

Thanks for reading this week!  I am going to take at least a week off and rest and recuperate.  I don't start training for my 50 miler till July, so I have some time to really hit the cross training and maybe even do some pool jogging once our local pool is finished! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment