Sunday, July 14, 2019

Week 7 of 24: Training for the Run Amok 50 miler and THE SNAKE 10 miler!

Race week!  Well, I should say, it's have fun at a trail race week because I sure as heck don't race when it is this hot out.  I am going to have to shift my week around to accommodate a Saturday trail race and a Saturday night car race.  Buckle up!


Monday:  Rest day. Y'all I am going to be super honest here.  While I know baseball and the stress of all of it, plus running and lifting and getting up at 4:30-5 am was contributing to my fatigue, now that that is done, that fatigue is still there.  It helps me to sleep in as late as I can and I am getting to bed earlier, but it's still there this is the main reason I am not getting up and going to Cross Fit right now.  If i can fit it in during the day, great. If not, it's just not happening.  I do miss my one on one session with coach Erin and really wish I could just afford to do that versus classes.  I am trying to get at least one lifting session a week on my own, but I really, really want to get in two.  It is what it is and I am channeling my inner Elsa and letting it go.


Tuesday:  When I woke up at 4:30 am, I heard thunder.  I checked the radar and storms were on their way.  I couldn't tell if we would be done prior to them hitting or if they would hit while we were running, so decided to err on the side of caution and go back to bed.  My running partner said good call because the storms were only 12 or so miles away at that point.   I never did go back to a deep sleep thanks to the storms, but I got more sleep than usual for a Tuesday, which I probably needed.  It did seem cooler post raining, but as soon as the sun came out, ouch.  My plan called for 7, but since I am doing 10 instead of 7 for my 1 hour 30 minute run, I am taking a few miles off of my weekly runs to even it out.  I am still not totally at the mileage recommended by the plan, BUT I am at the mileage I need for me and my body.  It was hot by the time we got out, but the humidity was much lower.  There was tons of puddles for Stella to get in and the corn now is tall enough to make a good shade on one side of the road.  We took our water and made it work.


Wednesday:  5 miles of hills.  We had been doing hill repeats, but since I was alone, I had planned a really hilly course period that snaked through town.  When I got up to feed the dogs and get ready to run, it was 77 with humidity at 91%.  The dew point was 73, which is a not something I wanted to submit Stella to or even myself for that matter.  I decided since I was alone that I would wait and either run later when it would be hotter but no humidity and Robin would be home, or run on the mill after work.  Bleh. We finally both got out around 2:00 pm and it was feels like 87, but there was very little humidity and we tried to find the shadiest and hilliest route.  I was fine till we hit the turn around then for whatever reason, I had a side stitch I could NOT get rid of.  It was more like an upper ab stitch that I guess was left over from the big lunch I inhaled.  Robin was very gracious to let me walk as I needed and we got lots of talking and burping done.  I did power walk up a few of the steeper hills, but that is what I do in a trail race anyway.   It wasn't our best time, but we got it done and got it done safely. 


Thursday:  Easy 6.  Again doing one mile less than my plan calls for since I will be running 10 miles Saturday.  Thank the LORD it was only 65 because the humidity at 5 am was 93%.  Ouch.  It was so humid every time i tried to take a picture, my camera lens on my phone instantly fogged up.  Again the miles flew by with Ebby and Robin leading us out.

Friday:  Normally this would be a rest day but since I have a race scheduled for Saturday and a night race Saturday night into Sunday, Friday was the best day to get it done.   My schedule said 18-20. I got to bed early but my body woke me up at 2 am with horrible cramps and heavy bleeding. I think post advil and some moaning and groaning I got back to sleep around 3 am for one hour before my alarm went off.  I had some quiet time with my coffee and fuel before getting ready and heading out on my normal route.


It was once again 91% humidity at 5 am and there was a humidity fog that hung on my route for at least the first hour or so.  It was cool at least on my skin.  


There was still plenty of water on the road for Stella to take a dip in. I had clean water and a collapsible bowl for her to drink from.  My plan was to do an out and back and get around 10ish and then either do another out and back to equal 20 or stay closer so if I needed to dump Stella off I could.  The temps weren't bad at all and as the humidity lowered, we both felt better overall.  After a quick refilling at home, we headed back out to the gravel.


The humidity fog had layers and was quite interesting to look at.  When the sun came out full force it burnt off.  

When we went back out, the corn gave us some nice shade.  We decided to just go for it and if Stella got too hot, I would just call my hubby to come and get her.  We were fine until I ran out of Tailwind.  My hubby drove out and gave me an ice cold bottle of Tailwind and refilled Stella's bottle.  We had one mile to go to get twenty when we turned down our road.  I was soaked with sweat and really not happy with life and just really didn't want to finish without Stella but really not wanting to do much pavement with her either.  We called it good.  19 miles for our long run with one more run for the week and then two glorious rest days in a row.  Ahhhhh.   


Saturday:  Race day THE SNAKE!  I think I will do a separate post for race day since there is so much to talk about, so look for that.  Basically it was a super early morning, we had so much fun in the K9 division, and we can't wait for next year!  Post run I had to get back, shower, and get Andrew ready for his night race.  We had the qualifying, heat race, main schedule, which seems to be his favorite.  


He was third fastest in qualifying, 2nd in his heat race and 2nd in his main.  What i was most proud of was he hit the wall HARD, had to pit to repair his car, got sent to the back and worked his way all the way to the front and ended up in second place.  This is resiliency and he is starting to show he has it!!!!!  I have waited 7 long years to see this happen and can't be more happy.  Maybe this kid does have grit after all.  


I don't care where you finish, if you try hard that is what counts, and I felt like this race he clawed his way out of some not so great situations and persevered.  I think if he would have had about 5 more laps, he could have taken 1st but he didn't and that is okay.  I headed home from the track as soon as the race was done to try and get some sleep since I had been up since 3:45 am, but of course I was amped up and couldn't sleep and had to take melatonin and didn't fall asleep till after 11 pm.   Probably the all day caffeine binge didn't help the situation of not sleeping as well.    

Sunday:  REST DAY!  I had so much to do around the house and needed sleep and rest more than anything in this world.  I picked up this baby and it needed filled and hung.


Bryan did an amazing job making my new medal holder and I was super excited to get it ready for display!  He also gave me a buckle holder for my upcoming buckle races :)   Talk about motivation!  Since i am publishing this a little early, I will say that the day hopefully was spent resting and recovering and not doing a ton of anything strenuous or exercisey!  

Have a great week! I  have a cut back week coming up and I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment