Sunday, July 28, 2019

Week 9 of 24: Training for the Run Amok 50 miler

Get ready for a crazy week!  With Tony being out of town a few days and Andrew being sick and then sharing, all plans of a scheduled week kind of went out of the window.  Can I have one week of just calm, cool, and collected?


Monday:  Normally rest day, but to avoid two days on the mill, decided to run Monday, move the speed work out till Tuesday (on the mill), and rest Wednesday.  We had a much needed break in the heat, meaning Stella could go again.   Back up though, I didn't get much sleep the night before.  Andrew was running another weird for no reason fever, and he was sleeping down stairs with daddy.  I just couldn't sleep not knowing if he was okay, but I kept telling myself that tony had it under control.  I guess his fever got as high as 103.5 at one point!!!!!  I started playing the game of if I go to sleep now I will get X amount of sleep.  When 4 am hit, I was in a deep, deep sleep and dreaming.  Why does that always happen?  I rolled out of bed, fueled and had coffee, and then met Robin to get our 8.  It was in the 60s, but the humidity was super high at 94% . Ick.  Add on to the fact that there was an interesting gentleman walking around at 5 am with a full back pack and a road vest (making him very visible), and just acting extra odd and you get the vibe of our run.   There was lots of wild life out too which made it extra spooky!


Tuesday:  Andrew was up at 5:35 am running another high fever. I let him have my phone to watch some cartoons while I tried to get a few extra Zs.  Our plan of him riding his bike and me running quickly went out of the window, since Tony was out of town by this point.  The next idea was a run on the mill in the afternoon.  As soon as i got off of work, I headed to the mill to watch some Schitt's Creek and run. 

I will be honest in that 6 miles flew by.  I tried to do two 30 second sprints per 4 minute run and then enjoy my one minute walk.  I think I made it through 3 episodes or so and really enjoyed it. I did have to hop off to pee a few times, but it was quite I dare say enjoyable.  Post running I had a PTO meeting.  We are in the home stretch of the Back to school Bash I am helping plan and my nerves are running high. I  know it will all work out, but I keep thinking i have forgotten something and that is driving me up the wall.  We only have 13 runner signed up for our 1 mile run, and while I know that number will increase as it always does, it makes it super hard to order T shirts and food.  Last year we had 112 runners in both the 5K and the 1 mile and who knows how many kiddos in the fun run, plus all of their families.  Our meal is free to runners who register and free will donation for those who want to stay and eat but aren't running.  So how do you plan numbers for that????



Wednesday:  Rest day.  Normally speed work day but with me moving things around we slept till 7 am and enjoyed our day.  Well, enjoyed our day as much as you can with a workman's comp audit and lots of financial stuff to do at work.  Finally got my debit card working post all the fraud issues in town so felt like a new woman being able to buy things LOL!!!!  I can't remember if I talked about the huge fraud issue that hit our little tiny town, but someone stole debit card numbers and pin numbers and took them to Wichita and had a field day.  I was only out around 600 bucks but others were not so lucky.  I must have turned my card off quick enough because some had theirs used at an ATM and got their accounts cleaned out!!!!  I was very lucky and my bank was very awesome about the whole process.  At this time they still haven't found the skimmer/individual.   I also got my new water bottle.  I have always wanted one of those bottles that tells you how much to drink and when.  When I saw this cute bottle on Etsy with the dogs and the dog paw I had to have it.  I don't have any issues getting this much in at the designated times, but I am in the bathroom every 5 minutes and and my pee is like water.  I know that drinking water and the amount is personal and can't be a designated number that everyone has to or can drink.  I will try this for a while and I think any water i get in is a win in my book, since I am probably chronically dehydrated.  Plus, it kept me from consuming my normal morning diet soda, something that I have gotten super bad at doing.


Thursday:  8 miles easy.  We found a leather chair that seemed in good condition on our route.  It had a crushed beer can in it, so someone had been using it.  We continue to get blessed with amazing weather and Robin and I are so loving it.  Temps in the 60s and very low humidity make it actually nice to get out and do longer runs.  I wish this would stick around for the rest of the year, but I know it won't.  Going to enjoy it while we can though.


Friday:  Usually rest day, but kind of liked getting one of the weekend runs done pre weekend.  I know there is a whole point to the back to back long runs, but I still think it serves a purpose the way I sometimes do the shorter long run first.  The shorter long run called for an hour and 45 minutes and we almost got a full 9 miles in, oh so close.  It was warmer than the other days but no humidity with a nice wind so VERY nice. I can only pray that it is this nice again for my long run.  The chair was gone, but the rigs were going full force, and it was fun to run through the cold water.


Saturday:  Long run day!  22 miles on the plan and the 3rd run in a row.  Decided to try going to bed around 7:30 pm and getting up at 3:30 am to hit the road around 4:30 am to beat some of the sun.  It was still hot, 70 degrees at 4:30 am, BUT the humidity was super low.  I had prepared my bottles and pack a head of time to save time and be able to get on the road as soon as possible.  I had planned to do an out and back and then some loops in the shade if at all possible when the sun came up. Of course i always plan something and then completely change it when I am running. I got 10 in the dark and headed back to the house to get ice cold tailwind bottles.  I had planned on going back out and getting another 10 stupidly on the gravel and full sun, but Robin sent me a message asking where I was.  I hooked up with her and we headed out to do some town miles in the shade.  We caught a break with the sun, so got out and did some hills  west of town before coming back into the flatter part of town.  I had trouble with my water bladder not wanting to squirt into Stella's bowl which was hugely frustrating.  I have no clue what I was doing wrong and occasionally could get it to work, but finally had to resort to sucking on the tubing and filling my mouth up with water, and then spitting it into her bowl.  I know dogs aren't picky but still. 


We got back into town and tried to stay on as many shade covered tree lined streets as possible.  Robin ended up doing 8 miles with me which was a very nice distraction on how I was feeling.  I was hydrating like a boss, taking big sips of my tail wind every time i had a walk interval and going through my one bottle per hour plus some jolly ranchers for pick me ups.  I was feeling very sore (i guess not use to that much pavement miles) and just not great.  I hit up the house for another ice cold bottle of tail wind and some coke, plus a honey stinger waffle to chew something.  Cued up some music and headed out to finish my last four.  Stella did two more with me before she was getting pretty hot and tired, so took her back to the house.  At this point I was just crisscrossing around our side of town getting as much shade as possible.  I am sure the neighbors thought I had lost my mind as I ran by their houses again and again. Finally finished and sat on the porch for a bit just trying not to puke or pass out.  I was having weird pains shooting through my toes and fingers and was feeling very nauseous.  My hubby brought me some more regular coke so I could sip on it for the nausea.  Needed to run to work so post shower grabbed a sweet tea and some french fries from McDonalds.  Got to work, took my temp and hmmmm, 100.9.  No wonder I was feeling like pure dog doo.  I really feel like it is probably the virus Andrew had earlier this week and not anything heat related but honestly I do NOT have time to be sick right now.    I am hoping this is also why this run really sucked in so many ways. The heat was not really that bad till probably my final four miles.  Spent most of the day in bed, which honestly was nice post 22 miles, but could have done without the achy body and the chills.

Sunday:  Rest day.  Foreshadowing that my body wanted me to run on Friday maybe?  Either way, super glad to have two rest days to get over this mess, yet again.  I really don't want to miss anymore runs like i did last time. The fever got as high as 102.5 and I finally had to take some advil to get rid of the headache.  That knocked it down to the 99s so I could get some sleep and rest.  The rest of the day I just took it easy,  As I type this, I need to make a decision about a concert I was going to attend in KC.  Part of me wants to go and just take advil around the clock to control my fever.  The other part of me wants to stay in bed today again and rest and get better and not drug myself all day.  We shall see what happens.

It was a hectic week but got it all done! Pray that this stupid virus only hangs around 2 days so I can get back to training next week!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the illness! There's nothing worse than being sick in the summer. Especially with the improved weather. I hope you're feeling better! Did you get to the concert?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't :( It was a super hard decision but in the end, I am glad I chose to sit at home because it was an outdoor concert and it was HOT. Probably would have made me feel so horrible. My friend sent me lots of pictures and videos so I wasn't so sad. I had to pay for the ticket but my friend got free tickets to see Papa Roach so she is gifting them to me since I missed Bush/Live.

      Delete