Sunday, August 18, 2019

Week 12 of 24: Training for the Run Amok 50 miler CUT BACK WEEK!

I couldn't have had a better week for some easy cut back down time.  Another heat wave, a 1 mile PTO event I had been planning for a long time, and active recovery!

Monday:  Rest day.  After not getting much sleep the night before, I needed a rest day.  Note to self, don't work out right before bed. I finally popped two melatonins around 11:30 pm.  Those who know me know that I am usually out by 9-9:30 pm, so this is SUPER late for me! 


Tuesday:  Easy 6. I know I sound like a broken record.  Holy moly, 100% humidity and 76 degrees at 5 am.  Dogs were a no go and we were drenched in sweat in the first quarter mile.  We did see about 8 meteors during our run which was super fun!  I took it easy as it is a cut back week and just enjoyed what there was to enjoy.


Wednesday:  Easy 4.  It was a little less hot and humid, but still icky.  We took the dogs since it was a shorter run and they managed fine. The only problem was the dang gravel fairy had dumped a TON of rocks on our route and they were very hard to run on. They were very loose, big, and covered the entire road from side to side.  In the dark it was very hard to navigate and stay upright, so we had to take it very easy.  Later, we got an invitation to go spend some time at Widgets (our local Chucky cheese, but way a more fun place).  Since my hubby is the boss, he said go for it and we had SO much fun!  I love that he still has friendships with his preschool friends and wish more of them were in class together. I am not even going to tell you how much it cost to "win"  that Narwhal. 



Thursday:  Easy 6.  Another 6 ixer.  Another humid run, plus a full moon, plus the start of school!  How is my kiddo already in 2nd grade!  This is his last year at his current school and it's so bittersweet. I have loved being able to walk him to school every day and while I will still get to walk him to the shuttle bus for his next school, I will really miss the staff and teachers at his very first elementary school.


Of course we have to get back in the routine of Boom going and everyone marveled at how big he has gotten.  We need a TON of work on our leash manners and manners in general, but string cheese is the bomb.com and I am ready to get my dog trainer hat back on and go to work.  In picking Andrew up post school, I asked what his favorite part of the day was and he answered recess and getting to "hang" with his teacher.  I hope that she is very patient and kind with him and allows him to show her that he really is a smart and creative little guy.  

Friday:  Rest day.  The boys had KSU baseball camp post school and I had PTO stuff.  Our big run was Saturday and we had packet pick up, course marking, and last minute preparations to attend to.  I had planned on eating and getting to bed early, but I was dragging doing other stuff and then the boys came home and I had to get a recap on camp.  It sounded like a TON of fun and I think both the hubby and little man learned so much.  


Saturday:  Long run day! I planned on waking up at 4 am and then heading out at 5 to get my 14.  The weather had other plans.  It stormed most of the night and it got so bad that our neighbors tree fell over and blocked the entire street and almost landed on their cars!  The dogs were on top of me from about 1 am on, so I didn't get much sleep.  I sent Robin a brief message saying the storms didn't look like they were going to abate any time soon, so we could move our long run till Sunday since it is only a 4 run a week cut back week.  I decided active recovery would be nice and post the boys heading to baseball camp, I got on my bike and got some mileage in.  Lots of the fields were flooded and two sections of our long run route was under water.  I biked through both, but the one above is going to be fun to run through!


Then this happened.  It was clear the shelter day and all pet adoptions were 25 dollars.  Andrew has been wanting a kitten since Sparky disappeared and we told him if he worked hard in school  AND he took care of the cat, he could have a cat again. I told my hubby my two requirements were NO kittens since we have three dogs and NO long haired cats since I am allergic.  Guess what?  NO one listened and they came home with a very sickly, very scrawny long haired kitten.  I set him up in a dog crate with his litter box, food, water, and a big dog bed, as he is too young to be out and about unsupervised with the dogs. My hope is that he can go to work with us and hang out just like sparky did, so he doesn't have to be in the crate all day.  Post getting the kitten set up quickly, we headed out to set up for our Back to School Bash at the school that i have been helping plan since spring of last year.  

I think it was a success as we had gotten rid of the 5K and just had a 1 mile run, kid's fun runs, and added a meal.  We wanted it to be less about the race and more about the family atmosphere, and I think we succeeded in that.  Andrew and Tony ran the 1 miler, even though they were super tired from baseball camp and super late.  OOPS.  Their time was worse than last year but they had two days of baseball camp on their legs and it was hot by the time we did the races.  


Sunday:  Long run day take 2!  Up at 4 am for some kitten cuddles.  Little Elvis has a pretty bad cold and is sneezing and wheezing, so he and I sat in the bathroom with the shower on as hot as it would go so we could get some steam and hopefully help him to breath better.  We finally got on the road around 5:20 am and hoped we would miss the rain and storms as the radar indicated.  We had brief sprinkles but other than that, the weather was actually nice.  Cloudy with a little bit of wind, and only humidity and sun later in our run.  We took our time, enjoyed the run, and got it done.  Afterwards, we did errands, got some pool time, and enjoyed our Sunday. YEAH for shorter long runs!

I guess it's back to it next week!  I have some BIG runs coming up and trying not to freak out about it.  I will get done what I can and the rest will be what it is.  Have a great week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment