Sunday, August 25, 2019

Week 13 of 24: Training for the Run Amok 50 miler

Welcome to Michelle complains bitterly about the weather Kansas is throwing at her.  Please enjoy:)

New game!!!  I have no clue how to play it as I don't remember this game in the 80s?
Monday:  Rest day.  Enough said.  Major excitement = a new arcade game at the music studio.  Plus, little Elvis the kitten we adopted at the Clear the Shelter event went to the vet and got on meds to help with his horrible little cold.

dewpoint of 73?  NOOOOOOO!

Tuesday:  10 miler.  Woke up to horrible running conditions, even at 4 am.  Consulted with Robin and we decided no dogs, take it super duper easy.  Since school has started back, she can only do about 6 or so miles with me at the speed we go.  It makes me super sad, but any miles together with any of my running partners is better than none. I figured I would come back and run on the mill or finish out around the house once she dropped off.  It actually felt nicer or should I say I was more use to it by then, so I had a quick bathroom break and headed back out.

Storms all around us!
Wednesday:  6 miler with hills. Okay, so this was one of those no good, horrible, never want to have this happen again runs.  I had NO clue what precipitated this disaster other than I had one beer and some cheese dip the night before, but honestly, i have had this meal before and been fine.  Got up to storms AGAIN, so decided to dreadmill it. I only had 6 on the plan, which is much more manageable to me on the life sucking dreadmill.  Our treadmill has programs and it has several hilly programs which you can adjust if it is too fast or too hilly.  I started out with one of the programs, but quickly had to push  stop as I was getting pretty nervous with the speed + incline right from the start, even with adjustments.   Long long ago I tore up my quad running inclines on the mill and have been pretty nervous since then.   Decided to switch to speed work instead, using my 30 second intervals and decided to try hilly on my 8 miler.  I got off of the damn thing at least 5 times to go to the bathroom. Plus, the storm woke my kiddo up and he kept getting in the space behind me on the mill, which scares the crap out of me when I can't see him.  Add to the fact that he kept getting the kitten out of the dog crate we keep him in at night and the kitten of course loves to run UNDER the treadmill.    I had visions of  either a) my kid being slung off the mill and or b) kitten being sucked into the belt and well, you can fill in the blank there.  Between my stomach and my nerves it just wasn't great.  Plus, I tried to watch the new season of  Mind Hunter and they talk very softly A LOT and with my bone conductive head phones, that makes it super hard to hear what they are saying when I am running on the mill without ear plugs to drown out the mill sound.  Anyway, long story short, i was VERY glad to be done.

a mommy carrying her babies, which are those bumps on her butt!
Thursday:  8 miles.  Woke up to thunder AGAIN.  Didn't even look at the radar, just figured going back to sleep was better than 8 miles on the mill at 4 am.  Running after work use to be my jam, but I have gotten so use to getting it done early that it was tough to get the gumption to get going.  Took a honeystinger waffle about 30 minutes before and took one bottle of tailwind and one bottle of fresh water with me plus some jolly ranchers.  Left Stella at home due to dew point being in the 70s :(  I will have to say other than the sweat just dripping and staying due to the humidity, the run went really, really well.  I felt great, only had to stop once to pee, and finished feeling just as good as when I started. In fact, I felt so good that once I got home I decided to try and beat the sunset and get the yard mowed.  My hubby thinks i am weird, but I LOVE a fresh mowed lawn! IF I had time, i would probably mow my yard twice a week at least.


Friday:  REST DAY.  I fully enjoyed taking it easy and getting ready for a crazy weekend!


Saturday:  2 hour run and RACE DAY!  I had to get up and get going in order to complete my run pre race.  I was also working the tower without our president present for the first time so was SUPER nervous about that.  My run went great, other than being nervous about being out with Stella in the dark post watching an episode of Mind Hunters.  I am LOVING season two and would love to binge it but just too busy.  Got cleaned up and headed to the track where we had several delays, but got it done with minimal issues.  Whew.  I feel so much better about doing the tower, but still have problems with scoring lapped cars and keeping track in big classes.

my view for the day
I did a big long live video on FB about Andrew's performance, but short story is he tried, he passed ON THE INSIDE multiple times, and his placement doesn't really reflect how hard he tried.  I am really, super proud of him and we celebrated like he won. One of his friends kicked butt and took the checkered and it is so awesome to watch these kids all figuring it out and getting out there and working hard.  I am not sure what was different this week other than he has been practicing once a week and on the next restrictor plate up.

and it looked like that for ALL day

Sunday:  Long run day. I  already knew that this day would be a total poop show due to the weather forecasts.  Storms and rain all day were showing up on the app and I was NOT going to run 22 miles on the mill.  I have done 2 hours, but 4-5 hours is just not my jam.  I woke up again at 4 am to storms so went back to bed to rest.  I woke up around 7 to a steady rain.  I was very thankful for the sleep but not happy about not getting started till later. I needed to go work at KSU and I needed to start cleaning and getting the house in order for the appraisal coming up. We are trying to re finance our house and this is the last step so hopefully they see the potential value and not the value of the house in the state it is in right now.  Anyway, I finally got out around 9:30 to a light rain that changed from light to driving to light to nothing.  We also had wind, which was welcomed to dry us out, but we had a mix of sun and clouds and humidity. 

someone was digging the mud
At 20 miles I felt like I was toast for some reason, so I headed back to the house to refill my bottles with some ice cold tailwind.  I also made a decision to just do the last two on the mill.  Yes, I gave in to the humidity, but I wanted to finish the last two at any cost and I did.  #sorrynotsorry

Glad to be done with another high mileage week.  Next week has longer week day runs but a shorter long run on the weekend.  Hoping the weather is a little bit nicer to me!  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment