Sunday, February 6, 2022

Week 2: Training for the Mile 0 Flint Hills 50K

 


Hi :)  How are you?   I'm fine thank you!  Just training with the fun that winter throws at us.  This week were were in this situation below.


We were right on the edge of a ton of snow and none.  Now that I work 2 minutes from home, I don't get as worked up about snow, but I had a meeting and an appointment in Manhattan on Wednesday, the day it was all suppose to hit.  We ended up only getting 2.5 inches, but don't laugh, it was enough to cancel school for the day and make my Manhattan meetings go virtual.  That is all a girl can ask for!  I don't like having to make decisions on driving on sort of bad roads and the weather took care of that for me. I honestly think we all needed a nice snow day, plus I can work from anywhere now.  



I ran four times this week, twice on the dreadmill and twice outside.  I did a speedwork session on Tuesday, but not my new favorite snow man run.  This time, I ran the 4 minutes with each minute being faster till my last minute being my fastest minute at 6 mph or 6.2 mph, and then I walked my one minute to recover.  I did that for the 3 miles I needed for that day.  For my second treadmill run, I did the hot buns run where I ran for 10 minutes and then got off of the mill and did squats, lunges, and jumping jacks for 3 miles total.  I will say for years my treadmill has ALWAYS been ahead of my watch in mileage, but here lately in speed and mileage my watch is ahead. My mill is old, at least 11 years old if not older, so it may be time for me to start trusting the watch over satan's sidewalk.   Yes, I do go a bit faster on the mill to just get it done, but not sure I totally believe the paces I am seeing on my watch.  


I only had 5 for my long run so we bumped it up to 6 so we could maybe see some eagles.  No eagles, but again some really big shy hawks were about.  I wore my big clunky trail shoes just in case there were drifts out on the prairie, however I only encountered one spot that had snow/ice on the road.  The dogs were loving the drifts on the side of the road and both had fun running and zooming in the snow off leash.  


I did have one mishap that I wanted to talk about before I close this out.  I have NEVER fallen on my mill and I honestly live in fear of falling. I tend to run very close to the front of the mill, as I have this fear that I am going to shoot off of the back.  I had done my work out and was actually walking to cool down when I somehow got twisted up with a bike that hangs out next to the mill.  I have no clue how or what happened, but all I know is that I was falling and I could see the belt coming for my face. I twisted to step off onto the railing, as I wasn't clipped in and couldn't get the belt to stop.  I somehow managed to grab at the clip one last time as I was going down to my knees and it popped off.  Lesson learned, stay clipped in even if you are cooling down.  I was sore all over and I scared Tony half to death as he ran in from the other room when he heard the commotion.  I was super sore the next day, but super glad I didn't hit the moving belt with my face or any other part of my body.  



We also had our first wrestling tournament.  We were only going to do our home tournament this year as he loves practice, but seems to get stage fright in tournaments and totally not do what we know he is capable of.  Since he still loves to wrestle, we continue to do the sport with a goal of one tournament, work hard, and maybe some day when he gets in junior high or high school he might get that competitive spirit and aggression he needs to battle.  We missed our home tournament thanks to Covid exposure, so we found a smallish tournament nearby to try out.  I will say I saw him looked pissed off several times today which is a start (he's the biggest teddy bear ever) and I saw him do some basic moves that he knows and has never shown us in actual wrestling matches.  He even capitalized on another wrestler's mistake and while he ultimately got pinned by said kid, that was okay because he had actually gotten points!  I love what I am seeing and he even asked to try one more tournament before the season is done.  We have one more relatively close to us which means I can honor his request and am tickled pink he asked!  I would love for him to win just one more time as a youth wrestler, but that is not our goal so I will keep my mouth shut.  Progress is the goal, every time he steps on that mat.  


Have a great week y'all!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment